Michelin City pilot vs The almighty Marathon plus

DaveHudson
DaveHudson Posts: 290
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Yes the age old tyre debate again, and I have done a search but not really found much in the way of a direct comparison with these two tyres.

I have been running the Michelins for a while now and have been impressed with the 'P' resistance and grip seems ok but mine main gripe is they are an absolute sod to get on the rims. I ended up riding a couple of miles on a partially inflated tyre to get to work the other day as I just couldn't get it off. Fortunately the stiff sidewalls of the protek plus model I use helped keep the tyres shape.

Yesterday I unpacked an order and it included the Marathons we had ordered for stock, So then came the next half hour of "should I, Shouldn't I". I decided to stick with what I have for now but wonder if I'm missing out on a better tyre?

The sidewall is a load softer than that of the Michelin, But does that mean there is a weakness there? The Protek has 5mm of 'P' protection on the tread area and 2mm on the sides, does anyone know what the Marathons have?

TIA
The confused one.

Comments

• bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    marathon + are notorious for being difficult to fit (at least the first time). I personally don't think the grip is great. They do have excellent p******e resistance though.