Realistic Commuting Distance

Quirrel
Quirrel Posts: 235
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
What is the realistic commuting distance to work?

My current school is in Sacriston, Durham, up the top of a dirty great big hill, one of those hills that would make me cry every time I see it. ~1.5 miles

My apartment is at the bottom of a dirty great big hill, one which has made me puke before. ~1.5 miles +- a few more hills

The rest of the run is as far as I can work out from the drive relatively flat, bar going up around the Angel of the North, which may well be inclined but I'm not 100% sure on the lower road rather than the A1.

With a bit of training I think I could do it, maybe, 22 miles there , 22 miles back. Or am I kidding myself? Not everyday, maybe end of the week when it's a bit less hectic.

Or is it better to just stick to my weekend riding plans and the odd blast on the cycle paths in the evenings to get myself fit.

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    No-one else has bitten, so I'll have a go.

22 miles each way over some serious hills is a big effort. Three days a week might be feasible (at first anyway), but a daily grind like that could well turn your enthusiasm to dust. Doing it once or twice maybe three times would be a good effort though; ultimately only you can decide.

Mine is 21 each way, but 3 days in a row is a big effort at 6:50 on cold April mornings. Having said that, I'm currently adding a few extra on to the ride most days, but that's mainly due to the ridiculous Stats table. Don't sign up to it. You'll never have a short fun ride again. :wink:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Yup, what CiB said.

It'd be a big effort, especially to start, and you've got the right approach in not doing it every day. You might want to drive the bike in Monday, ride back Monday, ride in Tuesday, drive back..

Doing 44 miles per day is certainly possible, but don't forget you're working a full day too.

How about a half drive/half ride option? You'd get the fitness improvements from a daily workout (well, ok, two of them), and you'll cut out at least one hill.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    it's doable i do 40+ miles 5 days a week but there are some days i really cant be arsed this weekend my knee is knackered.

Try it a couple of days a week, do it when you fancy it take a rest when you dont feel like it, it's all good.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • think it depends on the person to be honest...some may think ' yep no probs' and other like me may think ' just a bit too much'...I do 15 miles a day x 5 days which is a nice ride..
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I do 27 - 40 miles a day x5 (occasionally 6) and by Friday you know you've done it. You didn't say what work is; if it's a physical job then it might be too much.

As others have said try it gently, perhaps splitting the journey with a train (if possible) or parking the car half way and then taking the bike on from there until you're used to that distance. Then slowly park the car closer to your house until all of a sudden you're cycling all the way.

or doing it 2x a week, pushing it to 3 then 4 times; you could do it 4 times a week and use Monday to carry the clothes for that week in. Do you have showers at work?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I took a look at Scariston on multimap. Yup, that's a hill.

Its not unsurmountable. I go up one worse than that 2-3 times a week in the summer and my commute is an every day (ish) 13 mile e/w, but almost none of it is flat.

The problem you have is to carry all of your stuff for the day. I can get away with carrying shirts, gym kits, odds and ends because I can leave shoes, trainers, my suit etc in my office.

I fear you will have to lug books and clothes 22 miles. Makes it tougher.

In any event you will have to build up to it. In which case, pick nice days and just enjoy the ride.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne wrote:
    I You didn't say what work is; if it's a physical job then it might be too much.

Oops, missed the school bit at the front of the OP, then yes as the post above, carrying books etc could be a pain; bad enough with wet weather stuff (throught the winter), clothes, tools and lunch.
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    I'm guessing you live somewhere north of the Tyne? I used to do Gosforth to Durham occasionally as a social ride at the weekend. Its a nice run on a summers day but not sure how much I'd fancy it pissing with rain with panniers and a headwind in October...

The other posters assume you run a car as well, if so maybe try varying it as others suggest. If not just go for it, if you're not fit enough now you soon will be :-)
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    NB, you may find head winds on the moor more of an issue than any of the hills.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    Cheers for all that.

I went out at the weekend and had a look at some of the possible routes and realistically, it's probably better to go home straight away at 3:05 and get an hours cycling in then for the time being/

There is a more direct route to work, than I had originally planned, but after seeing weekend riders out on their bikes struggling up the hills and they were doing it for fun, my ideas have had to change.

There is a possibility that I could try to get to Chester-le Street area and get a lift in with a colleague from there, but for the time being I'm going to have to stick to riding after work and improving my fitness again.
  • gbsahne001
    I wouldn't take too much notice of the weekend warriors :)
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    I do the same distance from Morpeth to the buisness park by the arena. Its hilly comming home theres a blooming 12% right outside the office.

Take it slow and steady if you can ride 30-40 miles at the moment with too much bother you could do the distance. I havent done it more than once a week mind, i doubt i could do it regullarly.

Easiest way is to try it one day, make sure you have a way to get home if you dont fancy the return trip.
  • Sounds like you don't have easy access to a car for ferrying.

My personal view:
    I would go for it. Start on alternate days if that is possible and if you have concerns (maybe Tues/Thursday then when you feel able, move to Mon/Wed/Fri).

Make sure you eat properly at work - to avoid leaden legs on the return trip.

Prepare the night before so all you have to do is get dressed and go.

Try to have easy and quick to prepare food ready for when you get home the first few times as you may find you are shattered when you start cycle commuting that far and will appreciate putting your feet up and an early night.

If you have to pause on the way to/from work, do so. Don't push too far and then suffer. You will be able to complete it in one go (or defeat particular hills) in due course, don't over strain. It is nice to feel you've overcome a hurdle, but let's remember that the key aim of cycle commuting is to get to work in a fit state to work (whilst loving every inch of the ride and having that smug feeling :wink:).

Anyhow, that's my 2d
  • Sounds like you don't have easy access to a car for ferrying.

My personal view:
    I would go for it. Start on alternate days if that is possible and if you have concerns (maybe Tues/Thursday then when you feel able, move to Mon/Wed/Fri).

Make sure you eat properly at work - to avoid leaden legs on the return trip.

Prepare the night before so all you have to do is get dressed and go.

Try to have easy and quick to prepare food ready for when you get home the first few times as you may find you are shattered when you start cycle commuting that far and will appreciate putting your feet up and an early night.

If you have to pause on the way to/from work, do so. Don't push too far and then suffer. You will be able to complete it in one go (or defeat particular hills) in due course, don't over strain. It is nice to feel you've overcome a hurdle, but let's remember that the key aim of cycle commuting is to get to work in a fit state to work (whilst loving every inch of the ride and having that smug feeling :wink:).

Anyhow, that's my 2d

Good advice that man! I've recently started cycling to work and my journey is 23 miles each way. Cycing in is great but you do need to get plenty of fuel in the engine during the day or else homeward bound can get a bit of a grind towards the end. And I don't do this route daily by the way - not yet anyway...
  • cmm303
    cmm303 Posts: 59
    I think there are 3 types of cycle commuters:
      Cycle in all the way everyday come rain or shine. A methodical partial commute, cycling some days or part way or one way. Cherry pickers who see a decent weather forecast and jump on the bike, maybe instead of a visit to the gym!

I am a cherry picker (aka softie ?) for reasons that are as much work related as for lack of hardiness. When I started I was chuffed with one day/week and gave myself loads of time, but now I reckon I could cope with five days, which I can say safely because it is most unusual for me not to need my car at work for at least one of those days :D . I still love every ride into work, and want to keep it that way.

Our bodies tell us what we can do, we just have to listen without guilt. Any cycle commute is still vastly better than tranches of the population who do not have or take the opportunity.
    ChrisM