Felt Compulsion 2 SE Review

Tomzic
Tomzic Posts: 46
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Hey, Looking at getting the Felt Compulsion 2 SE 2008. Was wondering on what your thoughts about Felt are and if you know about this model, how much you think its worth, and if its a good bike.

Much appreciated. Tom.

Comments

• Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I have one.. number 231

Here's a Thread with someone winging about his..
    Here's a BikeRadar review

My consensus? Almost perfect for me.. (it wasn't my first bike)

I am very happy with it but I have upgraded the parts I believed I needed to suit my riding style.
    At 6FT and 200+ LBS I am no lightweight, so I bought a firmer spring for the Pike forks and it was £40 well spent.
    The brakes were upgraded to Avid Code 203mm F/185mm R, standard it has Juicy 3 185F/160R and they didn't quite hack it for me.
    Lastly I junked the Maxxis Ignitors as they are not a bad tyre for the dry and damp conditions but they are terrible in mud. I now run PanaRacer Rampage tyres and it's made the world of difference as a good all round tyre that gets through mud too

It's an All Mountain so it's no lightweight, but it is nimble and handles most terrain well.
    The RS Pikes and Maxle hub make for a decent front end. The Equilink rear suspension works well but it's not quite "as good" as at countering pedal induced bob as Felt make it out to be. They skimped by fitting a Fox Float R23 rear shock with a light (factory set and fixed) ProPedal setting.
    I am on the cusp of replacing it with a PUSHed RP23 from TF Tuning, but I've lived with the Float R23 for 18 months so it's not that bad.
    The seating position suits me fine, mine is 19.5" size and I can ride it all day as the saddle is excellent too. The wide bars and shortish stem suit me. The X9 rear derailleur, and Deore XT from derailleur combined with the X7 shifters work well as expected

These bikes (like all bikes) do require maintenance. There are a lot of bolts on the Equilink suspension and they need to be checked after every ride. They also need to be torqued correctly, so a torque wrench is essential.

As they're limited to 300, they're also something kind of special, but at the end of the day it's it's a damned good all round bike and I intend on keeping mine for many years to come.
  • Tomzic
    Tomzic Posts: 46
    Thanks dude, loads of help!
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Also have a look at this if you want an all mountain bike that pedals well, bargain and a half if you ask me, considering the forks cost around £600 on their own.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s1p1734
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    basically what raymond avalon said. mines is number 106, i love it. you do suffer slightly on the up hills, unless you put shed loads of air in the shock but then it's poo for the downs. but going downhill it's awsome.

i've upgraded the chainset to an SLX and the brakes will be next, the juicy 3's are OK and ive put up with them for 18 months but they're not great. i've changed the bearings in the rear end to ceramic ones which cost about 100 quid all in so check those if you're buying second hand.

but all in all i'm really happy with it. i love the pikes -oh yeah, i blew the seals on my pikes cos they only come with a medium spring, i've since had them serviced and spring changed at TF which cost 140 quid. i'm 14 stone and the standard spring is only rated for people up to 12 stone i think so bear that in mind aswell :D

i reccomended the bike to my mate but he got a compulsion 3 cheap on e bay and he loves that aswell. so i'd say buy it :D