@MatHammond

Big Wib
Big Wib Posts: 363
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Probably a bit late now but best of luck for Sunday (or hope it all went well)

I was hoping you'd have better weather than I had for the Brighton but it doesn't look like you will :(

take it steady, drink plenty, have your gels regularly and remember I got round so it muast be possible.

BW

p.s. good luck to anyone else doing a marathon this weekend

Comments

• Poacher
    Poacher Posts: 165
    Marathon? What marathon?
    Jeez! It's the Melton Cicle Classic on Sunday!!!!
    Who within a fifty mile radius would want to be anywhere but Oakham/Somerby/Burrough-on-the-hill/Owston/Somerberg/Melton on Sunday? 8)
    Ceps, morelles, trompettes de mort. Breakfast of champignons.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Cheers mate! I'm sitting here with a bag of frozen peas on my knee, hoping for the best. How was Brighton? Well done for getting round. I'm kind of looking forward to it now, if I do it will be a big achievement for me as never run further than 15 miles. From then on its a bit of a lottery...
  • Big Wib
    Poacher wrote:
    Marathon? What marathon?
    Jeez! It's the Melton Cicle Classic on Sunday!!!!
    Who within a fifty mile radius would want to be anywhere but Oakham/Somerby/Burrough-on-the-hill/Owston/Somerberg/Melton on Sunday? 8)

well, I might pop in for a bit :lol: , alternatively I might take advantage of the fact that i am not marathon training to enjoy a nice bike ride in the sun, or indeed both.
  • Big Wib
    MatHammond wrote:
    Cheers mate! I'm sitting here with a bag of frozen peas on my knee, hoping for the best. How was Brighton? Well done for getting round. I'm kind of looking forward to it now, if I do it will be a big achievement for me as never run further than 15 miles. From then on its a bit of a lottery...

it was a lot more fun then training in a painful sort of way :D

i'm still on a bit of a high from having actually done it even if the world record remains safe in someone elses hands.
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Good luck Matt - I'll be watching around the 3 mile mark at Woolwich, so hopefully you'll still be in good shape at that stage!!

Good luck to anyone else running too!!
  • Big Wib
    did you survive?
  • bigmat
    It all went really well in the end, conditions were perfect (warm but not too hot, bit of cloud cover). I managed to get round in 3:48:28 which was about as quick as I'd thought possible - I really had no idea what I could do but based on training runs I thought I could beat 4hrs if all went to plan, but as I'd never run further than 15 miles I had no idea how I'd cope with running 26. In the end I actually sped up over the second half (a lot of congestion to begin with, which was probably no bad thing as it stopped me going off too fast) and managed 1:48 for the second half which beats my half marathon PB by almost 20 minutes!

I'm aching like hell now, the knee actually feels OK but the shin splints are practically stopping me walking and I've got nasty blisters and bruised toes. Fortunately I can cycle without much pain so cycled to work today and am looking forward to spending all my training hours on the bike for the rest of the year!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Chapeau, sir. I occasionally think about running a marathon but the injuries keep putting me off.

Negative splits, eh? Youz an elite runner now ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bigmat
    JonGinge wrote:
    Chapeau, sir. I occasionally think about running a marathon but the injuries keep putting me off.

Negative splits, eh? Youz an elite runner now ;)

Cheers Jon, I reckon you'd do well as you have less bulk to carry round than me! I know what you mean about the injuries, I think the "less is more" approach is what you need - just condition yourself to running (not necessarily big distances), your bike fitness will be enough to cope with a marathon then make sure you get to the start in reasonable shape and you'd be fine I reckon.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Well done, Mat 8) . And with injuries, too :o .
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    There was one bloke who started with a fridge on his back.
    Is there anything to stop me starting with a fold up bike on my back?
    exercise.png