New commuter put off after two days.

ince
ince Posts: 289
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
This week I have been working out of our Liverpool office, not my normal place of work. While there I was talking to a guy about to old commute and cycling. He mentioned he had a bike but nothing special.

Little did I know I was helping to inspire him to start riding to the train station for his daily commute. The next day he came in saying had cycled to the station but had then had to bring the bike on the train as he brought the wrong lock keys. Said it was a bit of a pain getting the bike out of the station etc but not too bad.

Today he told me he did the commute on the second day remembering the keys and locked his bike up at Ellesmere Port station. Only problem when he got back to the bike at the end of the day to find someone had cut through his chain, I am not referring to the lock. No some scrote had cut through his drive chain :shock:

This guy will stick the bike away for a bit with the intention of getting a new chain then probably never get around to fixing it or giving the ride into work a go again. :(

Comments

• gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    ince wrote:
    This week I have been working out of our Liverpool office, not my normal place of work. While there I was talking to a guy about to old commute and cycling. He mentioned he had a bike but nothing special.

Little did I know I was helping to inspire him to start riding to the train station for his daily commute. The next day he came in saying had cycled to the station but had then had to bring the bike on the train as he brought the wrong lock keys. Said it was a bit of a pain getting the bike out of the station etc but not too bad.

Today he told me he did the commute on the second day remembering the keys and locked his bike up at Ellesmere Port station. Only problem when he got back to the bike at the end of the day to find someone had cut through his chain, I am not referring to the lock. No some scrote had cut through his drive chain :shock:

This guy will stick the bike away for a bit with the intention of getting a new chain then probably never get around to fixing it or giving the ride into work a go again. :(

Bloody scrotes the lot of 'em
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    You can't let that happen!

You must offer to fix the chain for him. At least that's what I would do: don't wait for him to act upon it. Ask him to give you the chain, buy a cheap KMC chain compatible with his drivtrain, with a quick link. Cut it to the correct length and send it back to him with instructions how to put it back on.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Yep. Do that :D
    Not only will it help him keep up the cycling but it will make his month. :D
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Fair comment, I will do that. If nothing else it will be good for my karma.

It really highlighted to me how little it could take to put the stoppers on something like this. I really do despise this kind of mindless action undertaken by the knuckle draggers of this world.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Thats a horrible thing to happen, hope he keeps with it and isnt put off.

I have to say thats really cool of you if you give him a chain! 8)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Probably one of those 'disable the bike so I can come back at night with tools and steal it' things. Barstewards. :x

Very good plan to sort him a new chain. You could also show him how easy it is to splice a chain together with a chain tool... the chain on my FG is a hybrid of about 3 chains at the moment!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Buy him a quick-link and show him how to use it? Suggest that he could get a folding bike and bring it to the office or even commute all the way. No way should he leave the bike on it's own. At least in a cycle park there is strength in numbers
    M.Rushton
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Just to give humanity the benefit of the doubt (stupid, I know), there is the possibility that he had the bike for a while in a poor state of maintenance and left the chain to rust. The stress of going back into service was too much, and the chain survived long enough to get him to the station, where a knock from someone putting their bike in the next space did for the poor beast.

Of course, I haven't seen the chain - it may be an obvious act of vandalism. In which case, it's a pretty weird one as it hardly immobilises the bike for later theft.