Pontypool Road Club Evening 10 TT 2010 series

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited May 2010 in Amateur race
starts on Tuesday 4th May!

We all meet at Llancayo, just outside Usk on the Abergavenny road. The course is an out, small loop and back route, and is "sporting". No big hills, but rolling enough to make it hard work!
Entry is £2 per rider, open to any other club riders and anyone who want to come and give it a go.

1st rider off at 19:00, numbers will be given out at the start.
Bit more info here:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/eve ... 962&ref=mf

and on our club website in my sig.

PM me if you want any more information!

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Might pop along to a few of these as they are only up the road for me. My first 10 in 14 years this Thursday all being well - should be a laugh, hope the hour hand works on the timekeepers watch :lol:
  • Pross wrote:
    Might pop along to a few of these as they are only up the road for me. My first 10 in 14 years this Thursday all being well - should be a laugh, hope the hour hand works on the timekeepers watch :lol:

Which one are you riding?
  • Pross
    Just the Abergavenny RC club 10 on the R10/17.
  • might see you there, its either this one or the abertillery whlrs 10 on the A472 nr Hafodrynys. 10/17 is fast, but I don't get on with it....
  • Pross wrote:
    Just the Abergavenny RC club 10 on the R10/17.

Are you still going this evening? The forecast is rubbish, but I think there will be a fair turnout for this one.
  • Pross
    No, unfortunately the wife is out so I've got the kids - looks like your race next week may be my comeback. What's the course? Is it Llancayo towards whatever the Charthouse is called these days, turn right just after the river, up over Policeman's Pitch left at Charthouse and back? Never done a TT around there but that's the only route I can think of. Don't think I'll be breaking 30 minutes if it is that or similar but it will be nice to get back into it. Not sure that there will be that many at our TT tonight, not many club members are into TTs these days and don't know how many from other clubs ride in them.
  • Pross wrote:
    No, unfortunately the wife is out so I've got the kids - looks like your race next week may be my comeback. What's the course? Is it Llancayo towards whatever the Charthouse is called these days, turn right just after the river, up over Policeman's Pitch left at Charthouse and back? Never done a TT around there but that's the only route I can think of. Don't think I'll be breaking 30 minutes if it is that or similar but it will be nice to get back into it. Not sure that there will be that many at our TT tonight, not many club members are into TTs these days and don't know how many from other clubs ride in them.

Yes that's the one!

More than welcome to come along - hopefully see you there!
  • I rode CC Blaenau Gwent (formerly Abertillery Wheelers) 10 - steady drizzle, wet roads, headwind from and into every direction, not a pleasant experience.
  • Pross
    Not the easiest course at the best of times, how did you get on?
  • Pross wrote:
    Not the easiest course at the best of times, how did you get on?

in a word crap. 26:30 winning time was 24:17. Only 4 riding, so hard to judge, but I was 40s slower than last week. However I still have a hacking cough, and I was taking it easier for the first lap. I've also changed the bike position - lowered the stem, and raised the saddle. It's too high I think so will drop it for Monday's Magic Dragon 10
  • SteveR_100Milers
    Enjoyable evening, if you can ever describe time trialling as enjoyable. It's great to see so many newcomers, all having a go despite not having all the aero kit, can only bode well for the future of competitive racing on the roads and all that. Some amusing 'resurfacing' has taken place on the small link road to Policemans hill, presumably effected by a group of bike hating blind persons with balance issues. Despite a headwind in both directions, winning time was a 23-09, with most of the regular club riders slotting into the 25 club

Mr Ross, I don't think I saw you there, maybe next week?
  • Pross
    23.09 is impressive for that course. I went out on Saturday and struggled (first time on my bike in a month and 2 weeks on the American diet!) so didn't want to humiliate myself with a 35 minute time. Started a commute to work from Caerleon to Cardiff today so hopefully will have the legs to give it a go in a couple of weeks. I'm desperate to race again but have to balance it with some realism :oops: Who did the 23.09?
  • SteveR_100Milers
    Results are here:

http://www.guestbookcentral.com/guestbo ... book=40488

Andy "The Animal" Butcher from Cwmcarn won in 23-03, Darran Carpenter second with a 24 which is uncaracteristically slow for him. There were plenty of 30+ times not to be humiliated, just come along and have go, at the end of the day, the only person that really cares about your time is you! (unless you're engaged in a private battle which is an entirely different ball game..)
  • Pross
    Good to see Butcher going strong, used to race against him regularly in my original incarnation as a cyclist and couldn't get near him then either :lol: