Not enough races?

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
This is my first season racing. I had planned to just do the local TLI races, but after missing out on the Thursday series (full up long before the closing date) I just bought a BC licence. There are 4 races very local which I want to do. But the first one I tried to enter is full up already - still 3 weeks until the closing date!

Is is the same story across the country? I'm now going to enter all the races I want to do straight away. Hopefully the races in June/July won't be full up yet.

I'm a bit disappointed that I'm going to have quite a sparse season unless I drive more than an hour (probably closer to 2) for some races.:
More problems but still living....

Comments

• giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    One question - is your club promoting at least one race this year?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Some races do fill up - some don't - best thing is enter in plenty of time though even that doesn't guarantee an entry as not all organisers take first come first served. I've missed out on 2 of the 3 I've entered this season - just one of those things - you'll probably find you get in more than you don't. One problem some of our members have found is they can't get in some West Mids races as they are part of a road race league - we're an East Mids club but quite close to the border with West Mids.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • amaferanga
    I'm not currently a member of a club, but that's going to change pretty soon. I should make it clear that I'm not criticising anyone, I'm just curious about the number of places in races vs the number of riders wanting to do them. I only found out today that some races aren't frst come first served, but preference is given to club riders and those that help out with marshalling etc., which is fair enough. Hence why I'm going to join a club and have already talked the girlfriend into marshalling :D
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Most of the races in the North East have been full fields 5 or 6 weeks in advance. We have surges in interest like this now and again. I reckon by Jun/July early enthusiasm will have waned and we'll be back to being able to EOL.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    amaferanga wrote:
    have already talked the girlfriend into marshalling :D
    I give it 6 weeks :wink:
  • amaferanga
    Bronzie wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Nah I'm making BIG sacrifices this year for her so its the least she can do :D

If its raining and cold though then you're probably right!
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    amaferanga wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Nah I'm making BIG sacrifices this year for her so its the least she can do :D

If its raining and cold though then you're probably right!

I give it one race. :wink:

Not much fun marshalling, just abuse from drivers and boredom. Still, if we didnt marshal we wouldnt race.

Which races have you entered that are full (apart from Thursday league)??
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Unless they have a long list of reserve riders, there's a good chance you can get an EOL on the day as quite a percentage (10-20% in my experience) are no shows. Obviously speak to the organiser to assess your chances and get there as soon as signing-on opens to get your name on the EOL reserve list.
  • amaferanga
    Bronzie wrote:
    Unless they have a long list of reserve riders, there's a good chance you can get an EOL on the day as quite a percentage (10-20% in my experience) are no shows. Obviously speak to the organiser to assess your chances and get there as soon as signing-on opens to get your name on the EOL reserve list.

My entry for the Steve Rigby Memorial RR was returned as well. Thanks for the suggestion though - I'll give the organiser a call and see what he says. I'm hoping to be a club member before sending off any more entries, which I believe might increase my chances.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    Proper (i.e. not racing around a motor racing circuit) road races in Wales seem to be filling up long before the closing date with plenty of reserves. There are also a lot less of them than there were a few years ago. The same appears to be the case for races my club mates are entering in the West Midlands especially 3/4 category races and those on the flattest courses. It seems to be a bit of a double whammy, more people getting into cycling combined with races being more bureaucratic / difficult to organise on open roads leading to more closed circuit racing. As there's no hard and fast rule for determining who makes the start sheet it may be that you are getting overlooked as a private member and once you join a club you may find it slightly easier. If a race is particularly close to you just turn up and try for an EOL. My club hosted a race recently with a full field of 80 + 8 reserves and there were still only 75 actual starters.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Good point made by Pross and Bronzie - often the number of no shows exceeds the number of reserves so if a race isn't too far away worth turning up on spec.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.