what do you photographers use to carry your gear while out?

counterculture
counterculture Posts: 507
edited April 2010 in MTB general
im just getting into photography and id like to be able to take my camera out with me on my bike and capture the moment, but i cant find a rucksack that i can carry extra clothing, food, tools etc and still carry my cameral safely (ive been known to take a tumble), what do you guys use to carry your camera (and gear) safely?

i asked on a photography forum and i was shown Dakine camera bags but they dont seem to have much storage space for non-camera gear. Am i wrong? do they carry enough kit to do an all day ride and get some photos at the same time?

thanks in advance
i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!

Comments

• rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    I would have thought you'd have plenty of room or an SLR in one of the bigger bags like a Hawg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited April 2010
    A Camelbak Hawg has enough space for a snug fitting of an SLR with a kit lens sized lens, along with compact pump, small toolkit, spare tube in one of the pockets and wallet/phone/keys in the front pocket.

That's what I use :D

It's heavy with a SLR and 2 to 3 litres of water though (p.s. the water is in a separate compartment, and in it's own bladder which is tough enough to prevent bursting in case you're worried about a tumble). Good padding in general.

Been fine for skiing, with hardly noticing the weight and no problem with a couple of tumbles. Enough padding to protect the camera and your back. Cycling I find it's a bit of a heavy weight on the back, probably because of the riding position.

For a compact, there's bags of space in there. Probably could get away with a smaller Camelbak or similar.

Or there are camera bags, but I find them usually too bulky and ridged with all the space for extra lenses and the hard padding. They also don't have the option for water ;)
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    Most photography rucksacks are designed just to carry camera gear nice and snug. With a camera body or two, two or three lenses, batteries, filters or whatever it soon fills the bag. You could take less with you and choose a bag with removeable deviders and have a section for your bike gear but camera gear doesn't tend to be light.

What gear do you want to take? WHat about panniers on the bike with a conventional kit bag for the camera gear?

RD
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • Plaisir
    Plaisir Posts: 83
    For what it's worth, I was dragged 100ft up the road under a 4x4 with a crumpler backpack on with a 17" laptop in. The bike was broken, I was broken, the bag was broken. But the laptop survived with one tiny scratch!... I know they're expensive but they're waterproof and if it ends up saving your gear its paid for itself. Mine had loads of space for other stuff too
    2009 Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9
  • ive got a canon 450D with an 18-35mm lense at the minute, so im not carrying alot but id just prefer a safe means to carry the camera.
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i have a nikon d60, i use my dakine apex and put the camera in a lowepro camera case/bag,, it fits the d60 with lense attatched and is padded..
    the apex still has room for kit fluid and tools.....
  • I have a Lowpro Primus AW backpack which I have used to bike and ski with. The bottom half has enough space for my Nikon D90/18-105 lens + one more lens and flash. Has a small side opening so you can get your camera out without taking the bag off.

The top half has around about 12L of space which I can fit my size 10 hiking boots into and still have a bit of space. There's also an outer pouch where you can fit your wet waterproofs so it doesn't get your camera/stuff wet.

I've had a few falls skiing with it and it's kept my camera safe.