Halford tour series canary wharf??

flamite
flamite Posts: 269
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
apologies if its been mentioned before... anyone know what this is like/what it is all about?

http://www.tourseries.co.uk/RoundInfo.a ... nary+Wharf

my company are asking for volunteers, but was put off when they said no cat 1 or 2 riders allowed, sounds quite serious!!

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Sounds quite serious? If they say no cat 1 or 2 riders then it's the opposite - less serious. Cat 1 and 2 are the 2 tope race levels, higher than cat 1 and you're a TdF level professional rider.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    i meant that if cat 1 and 2 were applying before (they said this year they will not be accepting 1 or 2) there are going to be plenty of cat 3s racing... which sounds a bit serious for me...
  • The Tour Series came to Peterborough last year and is returning again this year.

It appears to always involve a short circuit in a town centre. Our circuit is about 1.1km and runs through the very heart of the city. It's very very well set out and the whole event is professionally put on. We took our kids along to see and were amazed at the crazy speeds these guys were doing when very close to each other....in narrow lanes....and on some uneven surfaces. One or two nasty accidents occurred that resulted in plenty of blood getting spilt.

The organisers encourage the crowd to cheer and beat their hands on the advertising boards and it really does create an electric atmosphere.

I don't care if the riders are top level or not, they are seriously fit and seriously committed to the sport and we'll be going along to watch the local event again.

Last year the highlights were shown on ITV4. This year I think it is being broadcast live.
  • Headhuunter
    Can't really tell if it's categorised as a sportive or actual race but it certainly looks a bit more serious than something like the London to Brighton or the Dunwich Dynamo. However if they're banning top level riders, they're obviously trying to attract a more general audience. Drop them a line and ask about it
  • Can't really tell if it's categorised as a sportive or actual race but it certainly looks a bit more serious than something like the London to Brighton or the Dunwich Dynamo. However if they're banning top level riders, they're obviously trying to attract a more general audience. Drop them a line and ask about it

Are they not banning Cat 1 & 2 as this is and Elite field only race?

There will not be Cat 3 & 4's racing!
  • Headhuunter
    Can't really tell if it's categorised as a sportive or actual race but it certainly looks a bit more serious than something like the London to Brighton or the Dunwich Dynamo. However if they're banning top level riders, they're obviously trying to attract a more general audience. Drop them a line and ask about it

Are they not banning Cat 1 & 2 as this is and Elite field only race?

There will not be Cat 3 & 4's racing!

Really? I couldn't see that. In that case definitely not the London to Brighton!
  • The team entry form says that the teams mush have a minimum of five elite, male riders and the rest made up from Cat 1, 2 and junior.

Sounds fairly serious.
  • Headhuunter
    The team entry form says that the teams mush have a minimum of five elite, male riders and the rest made up from Cat 1, 2 and junior.

Sounds fairly serious.

Oh OK - definitely serious then!
  • This series had the likes of Rob Hayles and Russell Downing in last year and was broadcast on ITV4. I believe it is the same series, only more events this year
  • JTibbs
    JTibbs Posts: 1
    The Halfords Tour Series 2010 will be run under the same format as in 2009, with the same rules and regulations and same levels and categories of riders. The whole series will be televised on ITV4 on the evenings following each race, and full details of the series are available at www.tourseries.co.uk.

The organisers of the Halfords Tour Series however are working with Canary Wharf Group to organise a corporate event known as 'The Canary Wharf Grand Prix' as a curtain raiser to the main event - a bit of a fun challenge before the professional race (hence the no Cat 1 or Cat 2 entrants) - hope that clears this up for you!

The Halfords Tour Series Team
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    The worst thing about the Tour Series is that the TV programme is a full 24 hours after the race. Avoiding the result for all that time is quite tricky; and watching a crit on TV is far more exciting if I don't already know who wins.

Really, it'd be better if the TV programme was on the same night, even if it has to start relatively late (e.g. 9pm) -- don't really see why it can't just be broadcast & commentated live though.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)