If you use Bath Spa station - act now!

alfablue
alfablue Posts: 8,497
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
If you use Bath Spa station this concerns you - there is some controversy over the removal of the ramp (easy for bikes) and installation of a tiny lift to replace it.

See this thread in Campaigns, and make your objections known before 5th May.

Comments

• zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Curse them! I'm planning to live in that area (well, sort of) next year. How many steps are there up to the station?
  • alfablue
    Well, I hope you object Zanes. There are probably 30-35 steps, the problem is carrying a bike whilst in heavy passenger traffic. It is going to hurt cyclists backs, probably cause collisions with foot passengers, probably cause annoyance with cyclists etc. A lift would in theory, be okay, but it needs to be massive, this one takes only one bike, and probably then not without upending it. Think about the queues and hassle at busy times, competing with people in wheelchairs, the elderly, baby buggies, shoppers and travellers with heavy bags, and bikes. A recipe for discontent, anger and missed trains!

The ramp that is there at the moment means you can cycle right up to the platform, they want to get rid so they can have more commercial properties (food outlets that will struggle to do enough trade).
  • zanes
    I'll have a look at objecting and try and forward it on to the bike users group at uni.
  • alfablue
    well done zanes 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ridiculous isn't it. Objected!
  • alfablue
    Sure is M.Cole! Makes a mockery of "integrated" and/or "green" transport - spread the word round the office.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    alfablue wrote:
    Makes a mockery of "integrated" and/or "green" transport.
    Too right.
  • zanes
    BUBUG have informed me they sent this round their email list yesterday, but cannot object as a group as it is not a Bath Uni planning application.
  • alfablue
    Ah, well hopefully many of the BUBUG will have objected as individuals
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Put forward something like this, should be easy to implement..

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2008/03/bike-ramp.html
  • alfablue
    iPete, that would be better than nothing, but the stairs are extremely busy, and with this multi-million pound redevelopment there is the opportunity for an ideal solution rather than a compromise.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    If they are taking away the car park ramp access then that's completely dumb and is going to mess up an awful lot of commuters who leave their bike on the platform bike locking areas.

I think I might be objecting to that and I know a few bath bike commuters who might also want to voice their discontent. :)

Mike
  • alfablue
    yes that ramp is going. Spread the word.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    alfablue wrote:
    yes that ramp is going. Spread the word.

Will do. I can't believe that they think that is a good idea. :shock:

Mike
  • zanes
    *BUMPAGE*

Did anything ever come of this? Haven't heard owt on the grapevine, not been down to bath for a while and can't see anything on BANES website.
  • alfablue
    They sent me a letter as I commented on the application, ist said
    Further to our earlier letter regarding the application as described above, we write to advise you that having taken into account all of the representations received, the Local Planning Authority’s decision was made on 24th May 2010 and was as follows:-

CONSENT

In other words, our objections did not sway the decision and the work will go ahead to remove the ramp and install inadequate lifts. :evil:
  • zanes
    Why do I suspect there are some very confused students in a certain house in Bath wondering why they've received a planning related letter?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    You should be able to access most of the relevant documentation for the planning application on the BANES website.

http://planning.bathnes.gov.uk/PublicAccess/propdb/property/property_history_summary.aspx?blpukeyval=001INVCTBU000&lpikeyval=001K1DCTLI000&module=P3&historymodule=DC

I think this is the application you are referring to.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It just means that they are going to have some very drity lifts from people resting their front wheels against the insides.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • alfablue
    Asprilla wrote:
    It just means that they are going to have some very drity lifts from people resting their front wheels against the insides.
    I think it means more than that; there will be cyclists carrying bikes up stairs as the queue for the small lift will be long at peak times. People will get frustrated with bikes (legitimately) in the lift. Other problems may ensue with so many bikes being carried up stairs, such as people getting bumped. There are large numbers of bikes parked at platform level currently, they all come up the ramp, I can't see the lift coping. Still, at least FGW can earn some extra dosh from the retail outlets they can have instead of the ramp.
  • asprilla
    Surbiton train station has a simple metal groove on the the stairs like a tramline. It's for cyclists to wheel their bikes up. It works very well. However, at peak times stairs are a natural bottleneck and you can't get to the tramline.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • alfablue
    Yup, so that is far from ideal. Bath Spa already has the ideal, a separate ramp, at least it has it until demolition starts.
  • asprilla
    alfablue wrote:
    Yup, so that is far from ideal. Bath Spa already has the ideal, a separate ramp, at least it has it until demolition starts.

I agree wholeheartedly, just trying to give other options to suggest that are better than queuing for the lift or carrying your bike.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • alfablue
    Yes, thanks Asprilla. Bath Spa station stairs are frequently like a bun-fight, probably like many stations.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Notwithstanding the general ineptitude of the planning authorities and the usual corporate avarice from FGW, I'm intrigued at the number of cyclists (quite a few with handy looking road bikes) who evidently prefer to take the train from Bath to Bristol on a beautiful summer's morning.

There are some great routes, and there's always the cycleway for the laydees :wink:

MTFU, Bath people. :shock:
  • zanes
    Because the ONLY train destination from Bath Spa is Bristol, and I NEVER have to take myself+bike anywhere other than Bath. :roll:
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I had a nightmare the other week travelling on FGW out that way.

Conditions of carriage state only two cycles per train.

I turned up at the station first with my bike, and somebody else turned up as well, there was already one cycle on the train, what happened next? Well, we both got on.

It got even worse a bit later, we were up to about six cycles (I was standing up with mine held vertically) and then a guy with full on panniers forced his way on.

At this point the route through the carriage was pretty much blocked. Luckily the ticket inspector was indifferent but I did have cross words with one passenger who was moaning like hell.

Will get round to writing in about the lack of facilities, clearly there is a need for more space for bikes.