Cycling caps for a big 'ead

TipsterStu
TipsterStu Posts: 74
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I find the one size fits all rarely to be true when it cmes to retro or retro looking cycling caps

Anyone know any brands that fit the bigger (63cm) head?

Cheers

Comments

• Do they not exist?
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    From experience, Prendas caps are slightly larger than average.
  • BigSpecs
    BigSpecs Posts: 309
    I too am the owner of a big (63cm) head. Have had all sorts of bother with helmets and caps. IME the Prendas ones are a bit of pot luck. Great caps, some come up small, some big. I resorted to mailing Mick at Prendas and they got the guy with the biggest head in the office to try a few on for me! I ended up with a Bianchi retro (perfect fit) and a Peugeot (bit tight but not bad). The USPS were tiny apparently.
    FWIW the best cap I have is made by ImpSport and I bought it for a charity ride last year. It is in the colours of the Geoff Thomas Foundation but I am sure there are other styles. It is very roomy and a much better material, with an elasticated section at the back. The material wicks sweat and moisture much better than the 'cloth' versions. Hope this helps,
    Col.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I have a Rapha one (Freebie for marshalling one of the nocturne events last year) and it's massive.
  • Tipster Stu and Big Specs - without turning this into a 'head waving' competition, I'll see your 63cm bonces and raise you to just over 64! It's an absolute sod getting caps to fit and I usually end up with a headache and strange marks across my head after I've been out for a long ride with a cap on. As has been said, Prendas are good and I have one of their old-skool Cafe de Colombia hats that fits ok and a Renault Elf one that's reasonably roomy on top. Other than that though I've always gone cap-less.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I should clarify that by Prendas, I mean their own caps, not the retro ones. The black/white 'tourmalet' one is probably the loosest fitting one I have.
  • Kentrider
    Kentrider Posts: 41
    Sorry already-newbie question here. Do you wear the caps as well as a helmet or instead of? Seen plenty on Prendas that I like, but wouldn't be confident enough to wear them without a helmet where I live, but not sure if they're designed to be worn under a helmet-so have kept my money in my wallet so far.
  • BigSpecs
    BigSpecs Posts: 309
    Definitely under a helmet. Absolutely the best way of keeping rain off your sunnies/ glasses.
    See here:
    http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/new ... 850-65.jpg
    Cheers,
    Col.
  • Kentrider
    Kentrider Posts: 41
    Perfect-thanks
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    I've just got a Solo cap, www.solocc.com , and it's pretty big compared to a lot (much bigger than my Rapha), comes in one size and have been advised by Mark at Solo that it will shrink down to fit.
  • Hi

I may have a solution to your cycling cap size. We make custom order cycling caps at galstudio.ca

Check us out!

Richard
  • cycling art .... I will check you out indeed ...
  • Even Prendas is straining under the big ed demand ... see the point about being over 61cm ... boo hoo me
  • alcyst
    alcyst Posts: 10
    This is an old thread, but the problem remains....

I measure at 60cm just above the eyebrow ridge.

Was at an event recently and the BMC tent was selling caps with the logos; "thebikeshop by Philippe Gilbert" and "thebikeshop Monaco" which were very nice. The fit was great, and the brim wasn't too long. It is made in a slightly stiffer fabric. I'm now afraid to wash it.

Rothera are good also, adventurous choice in fabrics. Softer material than many.

Assos vary, one of their country caps is comfortable, any of the others are too snug.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Washing them should be fine on a 30 degree wash if you put them on your head damp for 5 minutes just to stretch them out a bit, otherwise yes they can shrink a bit.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    forget it, it's summer.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I know some who use them in summer under a helmet too - or some just use them as a cap without a helmet as they were originally intended for.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    wearing instead of a helmet I can understand, especially if riding anything pre-90's with down tube shifters and you are going for a particular look. You know, grimy face, peak flipped up, jersey undone, tan lines razor sharp....