Can you recommend a rim and hub for first build?

d.n.f
d.n.f Posts: 61
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
I’m after some recommendations for hub and rim combo so I can have a go at wheel building. Eventually the wheels will go onto a 2010 Spec Allez, so not an expensive high end bike, and they need to be suitable for the London commute, not a race machine.

I don’t want to waste money putting overly lush wheels on an entry level bike, but a worthwhile upgrade should be the end result.

I was thinking Tiagra hubs and maybe Mavic open sport rims, or open pro? But then that could still work out a bit expensive or a bit too high end? I don’t know, bit lost, and in need of some advice. Don't want to pimp the old girl up too much!

Thanks.

Comments

• Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Nothing wrong with Shimano hubs in any of the groupsets but I'd steer you away from Mavic rims these days. They used to be the first choice but their quality, reputation and supply has been diminishing in the last few years.

At the moment it seems that many people recommend Ambrosio rims but there are plenty of other brands to choose from too, most of which should be fine.
  • I used my Tiagra hub based rear wheel this winter, and so far I have been impressed with their quality considering their low price.
    Some points however; I read that their cones tend to loosen by themselves. So far my spring inspection of the hub seems to confirm that. A couple of yearly inspections and adjustings will perhaps be all that is needed to check this problem.

The ball bearings are low grade (grade 200) balls; they tend to rust much easier, and they give the hub a "lumpy" feeling when turning it by hand.
    It is very cheap to upgrade the ball bearings to a good quality (grade 25). This will make the hub feel much smoother.

Mavic hubs makes excellent rims, and I haven't heard anything specific about them lowering the quality of their rims (unlike e.g. Velocity rims).
    There are three reasons why Mavic rims can be a good choice for beginners; the first reason is that the quality is very good when it comes to being round and true. Slightly warped rims can be very frustrating to work with.
    The second reason is that they rarely update their rim designs. This is actually a good thing because it means that you can get a single matching rim if e.g. your front rim gets worn out after some years.
    The third reason is they can be bought everywhere.

Some reason not to buy Mavic rims; they are much more expensive for what they offer than many other rim manufacturers. One can get just as good and perhaps even better rims for less money. They only make a limited selection of rim types.

I suggest 36H rims for maximum strength and durability, and double eyelets since they can sometimes make the wheel easier to build.
    Rigida "Chrina" seems to have excellent specs (perhaps not the lightest rim) at a low price. Probably worth considering if price is an important factor.

--
    Regards
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd recommend stainless steel bearings - if water does get in at least the bearings will not rust.
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    If your budget is around 100GBP, I'd suggest Tiagra hubs (maybe upgrade bearings, but I don't know where to buy those), DT Swiss Competition spokes and Mavic CXP22 or Open Sport rims.

Should fit your bill and make a fine wheelset.
  • d.n.f
    Thanks for the good advice. :D Spot on as usual.

I'll go for the Tiagra hubs then, and either the open sports or the Rigidas as they seem to get good reviews and look good value.

Any reason why I can't go 32 front 36 rear? (just to be rad!)

Cheers again.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    PeterBL wrote:
    If your budget is around 100GBP, I'd suggest Tiagra hubs (maybe upgrade bearings, but I don't know where to buy those...

I've heard SimplyBearings recommended before. Stainless or chrome steel loose ball bearings in grade 100 or grade 10 available.

I've no personal experience, however.

_
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    What are the Pros and Cons of building your own wheels?

I guess they will be better than machine made wheels, but more expensive, but still cheaper than having a professional hand-build them for you, but maybe not as good?

A sort of middle ground then? or can you get close to a pro build with a bit of practice?

Just curious - have no intention of building wheels anytime soon
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    d.n.f wrote:
    Any reason why I can't go 32 front 36 rear? (just to be rad!)

No, it actually makes sense to use less spokes front than rear. But some shops don't stock all variants of rims/hubs, so see what you can get. I went 32/32 for that reason.

But don't expect huge weight savings doing 32 instead of 36. And maybe from an aestetic point of view, maybe same spoke count looks better? Or do your front wheel radial? Then no one willl see the different spoke count (again, no reason to do so from a technical point of view, it just looks better imo).
  • d.n.f
    Cheers for that. Pretty much my line of thinking. I think I’ll go 32 front then.

As for why build your own, for me it’s; something to do, I like tinkering, it’s a new skill to learn and a sense of achievement – riding round on wheels you built would be cool.
  • Poacher
    Poacher Posts: 165
    +1 for Rigida Chrina.
    i've built several wheels with them, and found them easy to true, as they seem reasonably stiff to begin with, making the initial spoke tensioning a doddle. Quite durable too.
    Best of luck with your wheel building!
    Ceps, morelles, trompettes de mort. Breakfast of champignons.
  • supersonic wrote:
    I'd recommend stainless steel bearings - if water does get in at least the bearings will not rust.

Yes, but stainless steel bearing wear faster than chromoly, the grease should keep them protected from the elements.
    Underscore wrote:
    I've heard SimplyBearings recommended before. Stainless or chrome steel loose ball bearings in grade 100 or grade 10 available.

I've no personal experience, however.

I have. They were one of the fastest places I've used in a long time. I don't know much about bearing, but bought the relevant grade 10 ones. Now if that eBay seller ever delivers my cone spanners, I'll let you know more. :evil:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, but stainless steel bearing wear faster than chromoly, the grease should keep them protected from the elements

Hmmm, water can be a bane, and I have seen many hubs destroyed by water, especially cheaper ones. In my hubs I find normal cromo bearings to pit and scar more easilly if water gets through. XTR and Dura Ace as well as many others use stainless bearings. I currently use XTR.

Though of course regular servicing helps :wink:
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Mike400 wrote:
    What are the Pros and Cons of building your own wheels?

I just wanted to give it a go. Built the wheels on Carly. Saved myself £30. Not had any build related issues with them.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)