How long does it take you?

mrfmilo
mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
edited April 2010 in MTB general
To change or fix an inner tube? IMO it's the simplest task on a bike, however some people I know can't even get the wheel off! :lol:

Comments

• Depends how much of a cnut my tyre wants to be, how many levers I break and how far I throw the wheel when I get fcuked off with the whole thing :lol:
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i was being a dumbass one day and put my 20p in the air machine at the garage then realised my wheel was still on the bike
    so flipped it over wheel off tyre off found puncture fixed it with glue and patch re-fitted tube and tyre and still had time to pump it up with the machine, and it held!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Depends if you look for the offending sharp thing.

I tend to take about 2 minutes if i don't check, 5 minutes when i'm in the shop as i'm drinking coffee and tend to have to check for the offending piece of rubbish.
  • mrfmilo
    I think the fastest I did was 2 minutes, from taking the wheel out to putting it back in. But that was because I was meeting someone and was late :lol:

Getting tyres of Sun SOS rims is a bugger! Can never get the lever under the tyre! :evil:
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Depends on the tyre - On my commuter bike with cheapo tyres and rims about 4 or 5mins.
    On my other bikes, particularly when fitting my Maxxis Swampthings or Specialized "the captain" it takes about half an hour, two broken tyre leavers, a black thumb nail and me sitting crumpled in the corner, mental and physically broken by the fact I can't achieve the "simplest task on a bike".
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited April 2010
    I'm never in any hurry so it takes as long as it takes. Might check the pads/clean the wheel or something while the bike is upside down. Eat a Snickers bar or enjoy a bit of 'had a puncture?' banter with a passing rambler.

Also depends on whether it's warm summer's day or a cold winter's night.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    on my mountain bike about 5 minutes. On my road bike considerably longer, one time last winter it took me over an hour because my fingers were so cold :oops:
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Varies... When I used to go on club rides I tore through a repair.
    I'd be a bit more sedate if I'm not holding anybody up.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    my current tyres are a pain as they're really thick. my other ones normally take 2 mins
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Depends a lot, I'm never in that much of a rush so I like to take my time, check for anything that might cause a repeat performance.. Patch rather than replace the tube if I can be bothered. Then while you're stopped you might as well have a bite to eat, right? :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    I don't..tubeless all the way :D
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    FOR-EVER!

Pssssssst - piss. Camelbak off, minitool out, 20mm to undo, tyre levers out, find a Park Self-tyre repair thing etc etc. Then ask about who's gotta pump :oops:

Really need a mini-pump for my Camelbak, but it's been at least 18 months since I had a flat.
  • P-Jay wrote:
    FOR-EVER!

Pssssssst - wee-wee. Camelbak off, minitool out, 20mm to undo, tyre levers out, find a Park Self-tyre repair thing etc etc. Then ask about who's gotta pump :oops:

Really need a mini-pump for my Camelbak, but it's been at least 18 months since I had a flat.

Congratulations, you've just jinxed it. Hope you've got a pump next time you're out!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Depends, sometimes under two, but averagely 3-4 cos i stop enjoy a drink and toilet stop when i puncture
  • Doombrain
    Doombrain Posts: 360
    just done one in about 70secs with pumping to 40psi
    LOL road riding.
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    Hmm back in the 18th century when i ran tubes on my wooden wheels a couple of mins
  • mrfmilo
    Quite good then! Are all these times from wheel off to wheel on?
  • Doombrain
    Doombrain Posts: 360
    wheel on.

it's take seconds to remove a wheel with quick release, i don't need levers to remove and put back my tyers and i always use a new tube and repair them later for back up. track pump also takes only seconds to get to 40psi.
    LOL road riding.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Depends how much of a cnut my tyre wants to be

That.

Tyre on and off is the rate limiting step (guess who's been teaching the last couple of weeks), and that depends on the tyre/rim combo.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    On my MTB <5 minutes, very easy to do.
    On my Road bike >15 minutes as the tyre is pure hell on earth to take off the rim.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Tubeless here too. Haven't fixed a mtb puncture in years.

But about 2 minutes.