Klein

egg-banjo
egg-banjo Posts: 34
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Whatever happened to them?

When I was big into mountain biking 12+ years ago Klein made some superb bikes.

Did they go bust or sell up or something?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    part of Trek.

not used as a name much.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • egg-banjo
    egg-banjo Posts: 34
    Thanks Nick, have been scouring the top mtb shops lately looking to get back into it after 10+ years away, and noticed there were no Kleins on display, thought something was up, thanks again.
  • nicklouse
    oh you will find things are very different to the late '90s.

everything you knew back then means very little now.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    nicklouse wrote:
    oh you will find things are very different to the late '90s.

everything you knew back then means very little now.

So no more purple anodised cantilevers?
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • nicklouse
    Purple is back. but Cantis I hope not. :lol:
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    Still got my Klein and it is pre-Trek b@st@rdisation of the brand and quality.... There has never been a more beautiful bike manufacturer before,at the same time and post!
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Still got my Klein and it is pre-Trek b@st@rdisation of the brand and quality.... There has never been a more beautiful bike manufacturer before,at the same time and post!

I remember being quite jealous of a bike-club member in the 90s who had a fully rigid Klein that looked like a good gust of wind would relieve him of it.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    egg-banjo wrote:
    Whatever happened to them?

When I was big into mountain biking 12+ years ago Klein made some superb bikes.

Did they go bust or sell up or something?

You sound like you need to be here

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • V5ade
    V5ade Posts: 192
    I gave away a mint on of these http://www.pl8ster.net/images/klein.jpg 3 years ago when I got back into MTB'ing. I had bought it new in the late '90's and it pretty much sat in my garage doing nothing.
    I wish that I'd kept it now as it was pretty cool :-)
    Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    I see a guy on the way to work on a magnificent fluorescent orange with purple rigid Klien. It makes me so jealous.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    I had one for nearly 10 years, it was fantastic - I only got rid of it because I wanted to upgrade to discs and the frame was Vs only. In retrospect I should've kept it and just bought a 2nd bike. I looked at getting a new one from Ireland a couple of years back (at the time there was an importer, not sure about now) and they still looked mint but it turnedout to be a right hassle.

About 6 months ago I was driving along Morecambe prom and saw some old fella riding a mint conditioned, totally original spec Attitude from about 98/99. I was this close (finger and thumb .5mm apart...) from slamming on the brakes, jumping out and offering him £lots for it. If there had been less traffic and he'd been on my side of the road I'd have done it.

Everytime I'm around that area I keep an eye out for him!
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    MMMmmm Klein Adroit i keep looking for an early 90's one but they all go for big big bucks seen a few mint frame sets go for £2k + which is a couple of pence more than I'm prepared to go
  • Doombrain
    Doombrain Posts: 360
    My brothers got one. I'll have to get a pic of it next time i visit.

edit: pic, not his but the same model without the bars

25595597_7d5bc1c6e3.jpg
    LOL road riding.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I regularly see a guy out in Bristol on one of the old full sus ones they made, like this:

klein-full-suspension.jpg

Absolutely beautiful bike even after all these years. But check this absolute beauty!!

gallery2.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=40987