Delamere Forest - first timer advice!

rchip
rchip Posts: 102
edited August 2019 in Routes
Hey! I've recently got myself a kona kula, the only other real bike trails i've done have been the Marin trail in wales! I've done that quite a few times now with my mates. Anyway, seeing as i've got myself a new bike i'm keen to tackle something a bit more interesting than the cheshier lines! I'm only about an hour or less away from Delamere Forest (im in liverpool). Downside is I think i'll be going on my own, my mates are up with the marin trail in summer but I want to do some riding now! I've done a bit of reading on the net and it sounds like i'll have fun there. Is it easy to find the cycle skills area!? Is there any advice you guys would give me for finding some xc type stuff!? I don't want to do jumps, just have some good terrain to ride on!

thanks alot,

rich

Comments

• kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I'm in a similar situation. Interested in the replies to this...
    On a side note, have you looked at Rivington? It's not much further from Liverpool than Delamere and offers a mixed bag of trails to try. I'm originally from Wigan so it was my first stop after getting back in to the sport.
    It does get very busy on a Sunday though.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • rchip
    rchip Posts: 102
    thanks for that mate! Just been reading about it, it sounds great! The one thing that scares me about this kind of stuff is getting lost, being on my own etc, like i'd just just go off the trail and end up in the middle of no where! I think i'll check out Delamere first because my girlfriend lives in the wirral so it somehow feels closer to home!
  • kaytronika
    I know what you mean, same thing for me with returning from Rivi. It was a local haunt. I know that as long as I head towards the biggest reservoir, I'll find my way back to the car.

I'm hoping to get over to Delamere on Saturday, so if I never post again you'll know to watch for getting lost ;)

Handy thing about these places being quite busy is you'll always run in to someone who can point you in the right direction.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    I'd go for Rivi over Delamere any day of the week, if you are into xc / trails. Because there simply isn't much singletrack at Delamere. More likely you'll find yourself riding on the forest roads all day. But if you know where to look, there are some trails to be found there. Check out the routes around delamere on the woollyback's website -

http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/Website ... outes.html

As for Rivington and winter hill, there is a good days ride to be found, with plenty of natural trails, aswell as Healey nab a short ride away. It's worth exploring and getting to know the natural trails well, because there is some great terrain.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Duggan13
    Duggan13 Posts: 75
    I went to Delamare Forest for the first time as a begginer a few weeks ago- there's no chance of getting lost, trust me.

I went on a week day and there was hardly a soul there too. I imagine it gets very busy at weekends.

The actual waymarked trails are pretty boring tbh and I say that as someone who's quite new to mtb.

If you head off the waymarked trails though there's loads of forest paths and 'unofficial' singletrack to explore- I'm not sure it's possible to put togethor a continuous trail for a long time though or maybe only if you know the area really well.

I had a good laugh there though and it was worth the trip- you'll easy find the cycle skills area if you just follow the longer waymarked trail around you'll eventually come to it.

Anyway, I made a thread about the same thing at the start of the year and people with much more experience than me answered, so have a look:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Delamere is a bit tame unless you hit the skills area, and thats just jumps.

There is an XC loop but it isn't signed. Try Coed Llandegla instead. Or blast along the M62 to J21 (rochdale) and head for Lee Quarry.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • supergrass
    supergrass Posts: 123
    i second the above post forget Delamere and get over to Llandegla... much better and probably no further for you if you are based in liverpool...

The added bonus is the Bacon Sausage and Egg Buttie at the end!!!!
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Whytepeak wrote:
    I'd go for Rivi over Delamere any day of the week, if you are into xc / trails. Because there simply isn't much singletrack at Delamere

There is actually quite alot of singletrack in delamere if you know where to find it! The problem being that its not like a trail centre with everything signposted. There is some good riding to be had but you really need to go to delemere quite a few times and explore to find the decent routes. It doesnt however come anywhere near to say llangdegla. But its more convenient to get to if you cant be bothered with driving
  • kaytronika
    Having been there today I can see what people mean about it all being fire roads. But it was perfect for me to be honest as I've not done a lot of riding for years. Did the 7 miles loop and then rode up to the communications towers.

Never felt like I was about to get lost anywhere as the waymarked routes are well signposted.

Oh and I could also tell there was potentially a lot of singletrack there... Routes spanned off from the waymarked trail many times. I saw a quite gnarly looking steep downhill bit which was signposted as a 'cycle skills' area... Not sure I'm ready for that yet, or the resulting trip to casualty :lol:
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Well if your already driving to Wales i'd say do Llandegla its closer to Liverpool than the Marin!, Penmachno is also
    very close to the Marin Trail but IMO physically harder if you've just started.

Then of course why not continue a little further down to Coed Y Brenin as there
    are routes to suit most people there. then a few miles further south is Cli-Machx
    the Mach trails and then Nant yr Arian.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Go past Manchester, and into the Dark Peak, fantastic natural riding. FAR better than any trail centre.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • rchip

been riding delamere on and off for years. if you can do the marin (from what i hear) delamere doesnt offer much

i used to take the missus to delamere as its not too taxing and my old bike was crap.

took my new bike n missus up to llandegla a couple of weeks ago and it was awesome - although wifey winged about the first uphill section but there really is something for everyone
    Cheers

Colin
  • dhutch
    dhutch Posts: 343
    Jumping on this ten years late, but recently moved into the area (Wirral) and looking at options to go riding, interesting technical bits to session and or some technical xc, as well as new people to ride with.

Will check out Rivington and see what else comes around.

Thanks
    Daniel
  • kaytronika
    Funny that I should come back to this forum and this thread is up at the top. I've just picked up cycling again this year after an 8ish year break, it's not getting any easier!

Anyway..

Rivi is a lot of Bridleways with rocky trails. You can string in Healey Nab though, admittedly I've not been over that way since I last pedalled in 2011ish. There are loads of footpaths that probably would offer better riding if right of way issues weren't a problem.

Delamere rewards exploration, I'm still finding new stuff now. (plus stuff I've forgotten).

Llandegla is probably going to be your best bet for a good day out and is my aim when I can build my fitness back up.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax