Shimano gear indicator

tom101
tom101 Posts: 39
edited May 2010 in The workshop
I just noticed that the gear indicator on my bike is out by one gear, i.e. when I'm on the second largest cog on the rear derailleur the indicator is as far to the left as it can go, I can still change to the largest cog, but the needle doesn't move much. When I'm on the smallest cog, there's space to the right of the indicator. Not that I use the indicator much, but is it possible to adjust this? I think it's Shimano Deore.

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    irritating isn't it?

My sram x4 shows 2nd gear when in first, and then doesn't quite sit in line all the way up to 9. I can get all gears, just indicator's not accurate.....

any ideas anyone?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I did manage to take some trigger shifters to bits once for a different problem, and got to play with the indicator. It was controlled by a single bar that dropped into a hole in the rotating cam of the shifter. It might be that the cam in your shifter has multiple holes, and the bar's in the wrong one.

Take it apart if it truly bothers you, but make sure you do it on a clean flat surface, because tiny bits will no doubt fly out.

Mind you, I probably wouldn't do it.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    ^^ not true about the tiny parts.

no tiny bits under the gear indicator to fly out except the screws. All the tiny bits are under the lower casing. Pull it off and put it back together to see if you can sort it out.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    ^^ not true about the tiny parts.

no tiny bits under the gear indicator to fly out except the screws. All the tiny bits are under the lower casing. Pull it off and put it back together to see if you can sort it out.

Hmmm... it was a while ago. Thought I remembered something going "ping" and flying across the room. Oh well, maybe I'm wrong.

Not a bad bit of general advice, though ;-)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Tiny bits will fly out, but only if you take the shifter apart completely. Shimano shifters have the indicator on a separate assembly which simply screws onto the top of the main shifter.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    well, bally bally with the bally ballyness of all this!

Pretty much any shifter can be stripped down and rebuilt, as long as you come from a long line of watchsmiths and have at least 4 pairs of hands that are approximately the size of a three year old's.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stick a bit of black insulation tape over the window. The correct gear isn't eg the 'second from the left' but whichever one which feels right. I have gear indicators on my MTB - never, ever looked at them.
    Faster than a tent.......