First commute today.

Spawn3323
Spawn3323 Posts: 22
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Today was my first commute to work! It's about 9miles each way and I loved it but on the way back I had two seperate idiots shout at me first was some "chav" walking on the pavement who saw me coming and thought it funny to jump towards me on the road and shout "tescos express" and the second was someone in a car who shouted "f**king nutter" out of the window which Made me jump and it nearly made me fall off. *rant over thank you for listening*

Comments

• tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    hopefully a bit of bad luck rather than apattern to be repeated? Where abouts are you?
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Now that you've had the welcoming committee................. :wink:

It's silly season. Ends at the beginning of the Autumn :)
  • Spawn3323
    I travel from egham to hounslow. I go via Staines then on the A30 then through Bedfont.
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Well done, chin up. Keep it going, you get get to the point where you ignore the kn*bheads... if not, there's always the " Your Rants Here" thread.. :twisted:
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Hopefully just unfortunate, we share some of the same route and I've never had issues along there, ok except oddly for last night some chav hung out the window down clock house lane! That aside, I've never had problems down the a315.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Spawn3323 wrote:
    I travel from egham to hounslow. I go via Staines then on the A30 then through Bedfont.

Fook me! I worked in Egham years back and lived in Sunbury and also Staines. Bedfont used to scare the crapola out of me :shock:

It's pretty windy out there, huh?
  • Spawn3323
    You think Bedfont is scary? you should see Hounslow!
    Yea it's windy on A30, and the planes pass so low!

It took me 32mins today! My only problem with riding to work is the big roundabouts! Crooked billet, Clock house and Henleys/moons if I go that way!
  • Spawn3323 wrote:

It took me 32mins today! My only problem with riding to work is the big roundabouts! Crooked billet, Clock house and Henleys/moons if I go that way!

I used to cycle some of your route when I commuted Kew Bridge to Staines.

I found the A30 scarier than the first 2 roundabouts you mention. Never used the last roundabout as took the crossing to get onto the cycle lane but I only went that way in the dark.

In the end I avoided Crooked Billet & Clock house roundabouts by going through Ashford and Feltham to get to the A315 from Staines. Added about a mile to the commute but felt a lot safer.

Always use to cycle through the Hounslow pedestrianised bit so missed the worst of Hounslow with all the lights and traffic!
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    I used to get a bit of that when I started commuting, popular one in August seems to be "France is that way mate!"

I did once get a car drive alongside me for about 5 minutes while the passenger repeated "W**K**R ON A BIKE!" over and over and over again. Bizzare.

Havent had anything in ages thankfully. Take it all on the chin, itll probably not happen again. (Or else ive just learnt to block it out lol)
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • I used to commute between Staines and Feltham and had a few chavs hanging out of car windows yelling abuse. Would happen about every 3 months or so and after a while you developed a spidey sense of when a car was staying level with you for no reason which was usually the warning sign for some abuse.

The more east of Staines you went the higher the chance of chav abuse... I'm now commuting the other side of Staines - Egham, Virginia Water, etc and haven't had one chav incident in a couple of years so its probably the demographic of the area which causes this type of thing.

My route Staines to Feltham was Laleham Road - Kingston Road - B377 - past Feltham Young Offenders Institure ( oddly no chav abuse around there - must have all been locked up ) the A244 into Feltham. I agree with the comments about the A30, I do use it for cycling from time to time but never enjoy it unless there is a stonking tail wind and you can nip along head down. Its fast for cycling but not fun.

Give it a few days Spawn3323 and see how you get on.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • Spawn3323
    No abuse today but I could feel the wind against me all the way I think il get the map out and look for a more interesting route. I got overtaken today by a "proper" cyclist in Lycra! But then he went through two red lights! Crazy fool.

Still no punctures!! But I'm getting worried I might just change my tires to gatorskins on payday.
  • russmcp
    russmcp Posts: 28
    Another one who can also take the Pooley Green area of Egham as part of their commute.

I travel in from south of Guildford to Staines, and going through Pooley Green towards Staines is my first real opportunity of abuse.

My job means I'm dealing with a lot of these fools on a constant basis.....tossers!

Well done on your commute, I'm only doing one day at the mo as just starting out again.
    This fitness lark is getting addictive
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Spawn3323 wrote:

My favourite petrol station is on the A30 just past bedfont. It's right near the end of R27L, sometimes you feel you have to duck or you'll get plonked on the head by a landing wheel when filling up there.
  • Spawn3323
    russmcp wrote:
    My job means I'm dealing with a lot of these fools on a constant basis.....tossers!

Yea me too, but in Hounslow.
    But don't get me started about the "PGU"! Bunch of idiots.
  • Spawn3323
    Mike400 wrote:
    I used to get a bit of that when I started commuting, popular one in August seems to be "France is that way mate!"
    )

That is so good that it makes me want to shout it at passing cyclists. 8)
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    Fortunately my commute is mainly away from spacktards so I'm safe from it.

There are a couple of lads that regularly pass me on my way home and always change down a gear and pin their oh-so-powerful 1.2 corsa. The side draft from such an animal almost makes me look. :roll:
  • I deal with these idiots in several ways depending how much energy I have

1. Chase them like a rabid dog in some crazy attempt to catch them and bite their bumper

2. If feeling tired or particularly aggrieved I try to remember their number plate, pull over and ring the police. The police are actually very helpful and will go round and bollock the A Holes and more often than not feed back to you.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl