Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Gavazzi postive for cocaine

iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2010 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Posts

  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 55,971 Lives Here
    Oh dear.
  • iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I dunno. Man who won race tests positive in race and faces ban.

    Some folks are interested in these things. Some aren't.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237viafx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Iain, so what?

    Seriously Dave, wtf?
  • TusherTusher Posts: 2,762
    Oh dear.

    I'm not condoning him, but what exactly are the sporting benefits of cocaine (or cannabis, for that matter). Something about not feeling pain, and being able to keep going for longer, IIRC? And it sets a bad example for their hordes of impressionable fans, I'm told.

    Recreational twitness rather than pre-meditated performance enhancing cheating, in my book.
  • Richrd2205Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Tusher wrote:
    Oh dear.

    I'm not condoning him, but what exactly are the sporting benefits of cocaine (or cannabis, for that matter). Something about not feeling pain, and being able to keep going for longer, IIRC? And it sets a bad example for their hordes of impressionable fans, I'm told.

    Recreational twitness rather than pre-meditated performance enhancing cheating, in my book.
    I think it's more about it being a powerful stimulant, so is significantly performance enhancing (in the short-term, anyway, it starts getting messed up after a couple of days...)
    Recreational use coming up to a race would be really quite dumb since it's likely to have a significant negative effect (it only stays in urine 3-4 days), so it's more likely dependant use or performance-enhancing use. Or really, really stupid use, which can't be ruled out, of course! (But even more unlikely given the later stage win)...
  • KléberKléber Posts: 6,842
    Some riders have been taking home-made concoctions as stimulants, for example "pot belge" was almost a recreational drug for many French riders at one point.

    If the rider wasn't using it for competitive advantage but was partying too hard then they've simply tested positive for stupidity: you sign up for the anti-doping rules and cocaine is very easy to test. Stronzo
  • Looks like Giani got rid of him at the right moment then :wink:
  • moray_gubmoray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:

    For me there is little difference between this and Tom Boonen's case ok Tom's was out of competition but when you consider what other sports are dishing out to cocaine users .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 55,971 Lives Here
    Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

    For me there is little difference between this and Tom Boonen's case ok Tom's was out of competition but when you consider what other sports are dishing out to cocaine users .

    Cocaine positively affects your riding when you're on it.

    It doesn't help training.

    I thought that was pretty obvious?
  • moray_gubmoray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

    For me there is little difference between this and Tom Boonen's case ok Tom's was out of competition but when you consider what other sports are dishing out to cocaine users .

    Cocaine positively affects your riding when you're on it.

    It doesn't help training.

    I thought that was pretty obvious?

    It should be a a banned drug in our out of compettition .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,296
    Moray Gub wrote:
    It should be a a banned drug in our out of compettition .

    Funny, I thought it already was.

    Does this mean you can legally buy coke from your local Boots chemist shop?
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • FJSFJS Posts: 4,820
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Cocaine positively affects your riding when you're on it.

    It doesn't help training.

    I thought that was pretty obvious?

    It should be a a banned drug in our out of compettition .[/quote]
    Why out of competition if it doesn't give any sporting benefits should it be banned by sports organisations? The whole 'gives a bad example to kids' argument is just diluting the proper fight against doping in sport.
  • iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Moray Gub wrote:
    It should be a a banned drug in our out of compettition .

    Funny, I thought it already was.

    Does this mean you can legally buy coke from your local Boots chemist shop?

    You're confusing legality with sporting rules. There are lots of things you could buy in Boots which would return a positive result.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    Alcohol is banned in competition. But not out of it. Doesn't mean it provides any sort of benefit!


    (I've always wondered how they got around this rule while drinking champagne on the final day of the Tour while riding into Paris!)
  • SpaceJunkSpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    edited April 2010
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

    For me there is little difference between this and Tom Boonen's case ok Tom's was out of competition but when you consider what other sports are dishing out to cocaine users .

    Cocaine positively affects your riding when you're on it.

    It doesn't help training.

    I thought that was pretty obvious?

    It should be a a banned drug in our out of compettition.

    i'm with Moray on this one, and not necessarily from the performance enhancing point of view either.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, Boonen missed 2008 TdF for bringing the sport into disrepute. And he certainly did in my eyes (as he did in '09).

    Sure, Rider X might fail a cocaine drugs test out of competition, but it doesn't do the sport any good if he does?

    So why not punish them for being an idiot?
  • Kléber wrote:
    Some riders have been taking home-made concoctions as stimulants, for example "pot belge" was almost a recreational drug for many French riders at one point.

    If the rider wasn't using it for competitive advantage but was partying too hard then they've simply tested positive for stupidity: you sign up for the anti-doping rules and cocaine is very easy to test. Stronzo

    If you read "A dog in a hat", by Joe Parkin, which is one of the very very few sporting books up there with "The Rider", he says that there were kermisse cyclists racing to do pot belge, rather than doing pot belge to race.
    Dan
  • FJSFJS Posts: 4,820
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    i'm with Moray on this one, and not necessarily from the performance enhancing point of view either.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, Boonen missed 2008 TdF for bringing the sport into disrepute. And he certainly did in my eyes (as he did in '09).

    Sure, Rider X might fail a cocaine drugs test out of competition, but it doesn't do the sport any good if he does?

    So why not punish them for being an idiot?

    But why confuse things (and make a real fight against real performance enhancing doping more diffuse) and put this under the banner of 'doping'? What's the difference between recreational out of competition cocaine or cannabis use, and a rider getting massively drunk, or driving way over the speed limit, or voting BNP, or using swearwords in interviews? OK, some of these are legal in the real world and others not, but you could put them under the vague banner of 'bringing the sport into disrepute'. Why make it a sports organization, not an employer or real world legal issue?

    PS. I'm not saying that, with the current rules in place, riders who do get caught (or those who don't for that matter) for cocaine aren't stupid idiots.
  • An out of competition test can't be failed for taking cocaine as it isn't banned. Boonens test should never have been leaked, these leaks make cycling a bigger laughing stock amongst other sports than the positive tests. Take some time to look at the UK sport drug testing website and see how many positives are not publicised.
  • blazing_saddlesblazing_saddles Posts: 17,909
    Well, it seems the UCI will throw the full book at him, what being "small fry" 'n' all.
    Kopp has copped the full packet.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-ext ... rther-year

    To my mind, if it's a full ban "in comp", then it becomes a full ban "out of comp", just like all the other sanction-able substances.
    So, I'm with Moray, too.
    Disco Tom is a very lucky boy.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber wrote:
    Some riders have been taking home-made concoctions as stimulants, for example "pot belge" was almost a recreational drug for many French riders at one point.

    If the rider wasn't using it for competitive advantage but was partying too hard then they've simply tested positive for stupidity: you sign up for the anti-doping rules and cocaine is very easy to test. Stronzo

    If you read "A dog in a hat", by Joe Parkin, which is one of the very very few sporting books up there with "The Rider", he says that there were kermisse cyclists racing to do pot belge, rather than doing pot belge to race.

    Parkin was one of them by the end of his time over there, although he misses that part out in his book!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

    PTP Runner Up 2015
  • A hard hard f+cker though, and a great book. Cancellara looks a dog in a hat to me just at the moment.
    Dan
  • Did you know him btw? What's he up to now?
    Dan
Sign In or Register to comment.