Isle of Arran XC Advice?

lucieandpaul
lucieandpaul Posts: 267
edited April 2010 in Routes
Hello

Living in the middle of the 7 Stanes, with three on my doorstep we are kind of spoiled here for XC riding, so a few of us are off in July for a long weekend to Arran for some mountain biking, and taking the road bikes also to tour the island.

Does anyone have any trail recommendations for Arran?

Lots of road routes available, but really want some insider info on the trails.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Paul
www.cree-cottage.co.uk
4 Star 7 Stanes Cyclist Accredited luxury holiday cottage accomodation for cyclists. Self Catering, with the best facilities and with 7 Stanes trails on your doorstep.

Comments

• I'm planning on riding the northern coastal path on Arran (all singletrack round the northern coast of the island, meant to be a good ride and very scenic) as part of a longer ride from Glasgow to Lochgilphead next month.

Apart from that there's quite a few other routes further south on the island, mostly all more natural singletrack than you'll get at the 7 stanes. The local clubs website is here with details of the routes... http://www.arranbikeclub.com/cycling.htm

I also did a sponsored ride round the island last summer which was nice - the roads are very quiet and the scenery is amazing if you get good weather.
  • Thanks for your reply

I have walked and camped on Arran, as well as stayed at Auchrannie Spa a few times and love the landscape, ive just always gone with the other half, and no bike.

This time its a lads weekend of the extreme sport type with a ban on beer :-(

Staying at Auchrannie as well and some of the Arran Bike Club trails go right past the door.

Paul
    www.cree-cottage.co.uk
    4 Star 7 Stanes Cyclist Accredited luxury holiday cottage accomodation for cyclists. Self Catering, with the best facilities and with 7 Stanes trails on your doorstep.
  • I'm going to Arran in June, have already downloaded some routes from the Arran mtb club site. The mtb Classic route (35km) looks a belter. I reckon its a great island for some great biking! Enjoy.
  • Resin42
    Resin42 Posts: 19
    Is there anything particularly techy on it, does anyone know?
  • Hi,
    Just to warn you that the 'String Road' that runs across the middle of Arran will be closed to ALL traffic, including bikes, from the 4th of May for up to 9 weeks.

This means that to get from Brodick to the west coast on the road you will have to go all the way around the coast, which is about an extra 15 - 20 miles

Regards

Steve
    Lochranza Youth Hostel
    www.arranhostel.com
  • Cheers Steve, thats a shame as I fancied doing a loop over the string and then south and over the top road to Lamlash. We intend staying at Lochranza campsite for a few days whilst on the island so may bump into you some time.