I couldn't be bothered...

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2010 in MTB general
I was out riding today, just around the streets, and I found, I couldn't be bothered to go as fast as I usually do...
Can anybody suggest ways to make me want to go faster, I think that's called motivation ;)

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Sounds like you might be getting old.. :D

Look for another cyclist, or slow moving car, or moped or whatever. Attack. Relax for a moment, then repeat.
  • Anonymous
    RealMan wrote:

Look for another cyclist, or slow moving car, or moped or whatever. Attack. Relax for a moment, then repeat.

OMFG I'm 14 lol
  • RealMan
    Yeah, its all downhill from 13 mate. :wink:
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    If you go slower, you'll have a longer ride.

What do you want: A boring Life with no meaning and short rides or...
    A longer ride, having to face less of the Worlds crap?

I know what I'd have picked.
  • Anonymous
    edited April 2010
    Splottboy wrote:
    If you go slower, you'll have a longer ride.

What do you want: A boring Life with no meaning and short rides or...
    A longer ride, having to face less of the Worlds crap?

I know what I'd have picked.

I want to go faster...
    Going slowly doesn't mean the ride is longer,when you go fast you just cover more distance in a shorter time, therefore you can ride a further distance, so you see more good views, climb higher etc, in the same amount of time.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Roadie chasing. That's where it's at - I rediscovered this last week on the way out to a ride on Thursday night. Chased a guy on a very nice (am I wrong saying that?) Colnago, in all Colnago road team kit, all the way up Park Street in Bristol (a massive hill) and stuck with him, much to his obvious frustration. I was on a 30lb Bionicon Edison with 2.3" tyres. It hurt like hell afterwards and I was wheezing like nobody's business when I met up with my mates but was well worth it and a wicked motivator.......totally recommended both for the fitness angle and the satisfaction of really annoying a fully kitted road rider.

And at your young age, you should be able to smoke a middle aged roadie........ :wink:
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    andyrm wrote:
    Roadie chasing. That's where it's at - I rediscovered this last week on the way out to a ride on Thursday night. Chased a guy on a very nice (am I wrong saying that?) Colnago, in all Colnago road team kit, all the way up Park Street in Bristol (a massive hill) and stuck with him, much to his obvious frustration. I was on a 30lb Bionicon Edison with 2.3" tyres. It hurt like hell afterwards and I was wheezing like nobody's business when I met up with my mates but was well worth it and a wicked motivator.......totally recommended both for the fitness angle and the satisfaction of really annoying a fully kitted road rider.

And at your young age, you should be able to smoke a middle aged roadie........ :wink:

I play this game when I'm commuting to work. Only downside is, my job involves a lot of lifting, so I'm farked for the ride home! Can't beat it though!
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Thoroughly recommended game - it's all about that moment when they look behind having heard the hum of a big sticky tyre on tarmac behind them and it won't shake off......
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    RealMan wrote:

This is exactly what I do. If I see someone ahead of me in the distance I aim to pass them.

I do this when walking too :lol:

I don't feel as though I'm highly competetive but I guess I am :D
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I was out riding today, just around the streets, and I found, I couldn't be bothered to go as fast as I usually do...
    Can anybody suggest ways to make me want to go faster, I think that's called motivation ;)

Well I ride round the streets of Croxteth... I generally go quite fast.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • RealMan
    This is exactly what I do. If I see someone ahead of me in the distance I aim to pass them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmwBw10RmLs

"What are you doing??"
    "I'm winning, that's what I'm doing."

:D
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    Roadie chasing.
    definitely must try that for the 3 charity rides ive got planned to do for this year
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I like passing roadies then hoping up onto pavements.

This annoys them for more than one reason :D

1. they can't keep up with a 14 year old on a full suspension mountain bike that weighs nearly 30lbs :lol:
    2. they can't hop on pavements like a little kid because they ain't kids and also they will break their fragile roadie wheels :lol:
    3. just the fact that someone passed them :roll:

I love annoying them :twisted:
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    oooh, I feel it a matter of pride to maintain a lead for a good mile, otherwise it just feels like cheating. I did once cause something of a problem by leading a club ride into a 'chase the roadie mission', only later realising it was actually a duathlon and when we pulled over to head up a bridleway the large group of us nearly blocked the route. a little red faced...
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I ate 3 cheese straws in Peaslake the other day...washed down with a mug of tea. Then chased 3 roadies, and past them on the way up the hill to the reservoir.

Then belched a load of cheesestraw puke when I got there. Still beat them though.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Thought I could give some some helpful advice, but couldn't be bothered. :wink:
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • RealMan
    If any of you think going past a roadie on a mtb annoys them, try a group of them in team kit on a bmx.

It nearly killed me, but I did it.
  • Anonymous
    Just went out on a ride, beat 2 people!
    I beat some guy on a full susser, but he has a 10 second head start, he just caught my eye so i thought id race him, and i beat him

then maybe 20 minutes later i was riding along, gonna go into this park, buta roadie went by, so ajusted my coarse and managed to beat him! but he also had a massive head start, maybe 15 seconds!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    andyrm wrote:

Don't tell him that! Middle-aged roadies like me need the element of surprise!

As for motivation - I remember seeing a BBC programme about the Strathpuffer 24 that, for some reason, helped me get out of bed earlier to pile on the winter miles. Reading stuff like this also helps, if only cos it shows what can be done (if you're prepared to go completely nuts in the process!).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    i spent my ride this evening chasing everyone I saw, ended up catching up with someone, finished the ride with them, ended up learning some new little bits of hidden trail (showed him some too). There's some motivation!

Also, it was beautiful out tonight, the bike was running perfectly and despite the fact I forgot to take water for a two hour ride I felt fantastic, so it would have been a crime not to ride as fast as I could.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    RealMan wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmwBw10RmLs

"What are you doing??"
    "I'm winning, that's what I'm doing."

:D

:lol: ooh yes, that's what I'm doing
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Of course all these roadies you are overtaking are out doing 120 mile loops as part of their training where as you are doing a 20 mile dawdle with some playing around on the downhills thrown in.........One hill proves nothing. I do it too though.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I was out riding today, just around the streets,

There's you're problem, right there......../\..................................