benefits of BC Insurance?

Gesmi
Gesmi Posts: 35
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
Wonder if someone can help what may seem like a dumb question. I am contemplating my first season with a few short Road RAces. Mostly Go RAces at Hog Hill and Ford Dunton. Not planning to buy a full licence even when I enter a Cat 4 race (as opposed to Go RAce) will leave that for next season.

What's the benefit of Silver over Bronze for BC membership? I can see that the main difference is "insurance" (plus ability to buy a full licence....) but what are people really insuring against? Is it simply that someone else might sue me if I cause an accident? Or is it because, for example, private health insurance if you have it, probably excludes racing?

HAev a feeling I am missing something obvious............

Thanks

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    It's 3rd party insurance - covers you if you are held responsible for causing an accident on the road with a car for instance. Unlikely I know, but it could happen,

Think you are automatically covered when racing (against being sued by another competitor) by buying a day licence or within the event fee for Go Race events.

BC Membership also gives you access to BC's legal team if you get injured by another road user - they will fight the case for you. Not sure what membership level this starts with but think it's intrinsic to any BC membership.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Bronze membership doesn't give you any insurance.

Silver gives you 3rd-party insurance if someone else claims against you (e.g. if you were in collision with a car and the driver said it was your fault and his insurers started chasing you for repairs to the car) and also BC's solicitors will pursue a claim for you for damage to your bike or personal injury if they think it was someone else's fault and there's a reasonable chance of getting them to pay-out (e.g. against the driver's insurers, or against the council if you crashed into a pothole).

Gold additionally gives you personal accident insurance, for death, permanent disability or hospital benefits if you are injured

If you want insurance against loss/theft/damage/etc to your bike then that's extra again.

CTC full members have similar 3rd-party and legal claims insurance, as do British Triathlon members
    - it's worth it, I was knocked-off by a car a couple of years ago, should have been an open&shut case as the driver admitted fault, but his insurers dragged it out over a year before paying-out for my injuries and damage to the bike and my clothing. I was a British Triathlon member at the time, and their solicitors (same company BC use I'm pretty sure), sorted it out for me, but it would have been difficult doing it alone : basically I think the insurers are intending that if they make it very difficult, you'll just give up and go away.
  • Gesmi
    Gesmi Posts: 35
    Thanks - I've gone for Silver.

G
  • i was thinking of getting this as well but was a bit confused about the choice. it says if you are part of affiliated club click here to buy. if your a non club member click here.

i am part of a club, but i'm not sure if my club is affliated or not?

does it matter?
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    matt-sport wrote:
    i was thinking of getting this as well but was a bit confused about the choice. it says if you are part of affiliated club click here to buy. if your a non club member click here.

i am part of a club, but i'm not sure if my club is affliated or not?

does it matter?
    I think it's cheaper if your club is affiliated
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    If your club is affiliated (and pays a membership fee) to British Cycling, you then get free Bronze membership for your first year, or get the cost of Bronze membership reduced-off the cost of Silver or Gold.

When you go through the online application, it'll get you to select your club.
    It then says that they'll send your membership documents to your club to pass-on to you
    - although don't be surprised if they simply come direct to you through the post if you don't choose to buy a racing licence...

Obvious thing is to ask someone at your club : but failing that, on your club website, is there the Britsh Cycling logo or does it say affiliated to British Cycling ?
    Alternatively, on the 'find a club' on Britsh Cycling's website, does it list your club ?