Take Hart!

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 29,414
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Excuse the cheesy pun - it'll become clear later. I've been pondering getting a track pump for a while to keep the 23C's nicely topped up. We have one at work, which is fine most of the time, but since my Spesh Airtool Road self-dismantled and I've changed to minipumpdom, it's become more worthwhile getting something with a bit more grunt and more importantly a pressure gauge, for home use. So (and here comes the punchline) do I go for a cheaper trackpump (up to £30) or a Topeak Road Morph?
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Track pump.

You MUST own a track pump.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Topeak Joe Blow. That's all i'm going to say
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    You didn't give the option but

Both

One to leave at home, one to carry about, and a CO2 inflator as well maybe
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I have a 'Hammer Force' (hahahaha) track pump, it was very cheap and works well. I also have a blackburn one from Evans that was slightly pricier and also works well.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Timely. My blackburn in the office has blown a gasket (or something). Looking to replace...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I've got a bontrager charger which I paid £20 for and it works a charm. Easily pumps to 130psi without much effort and it's been going strong for 2 years now. They do a £40 version aswell but I don't really see where the extra money goes...
  • rjsterry
    Hmmm. So far it looks like I should go for a proper track pump. I did wonder whether the Road Morph might be a bit of a compromise, i.e. a bit heavy as a portable pump, and a bit lighweight as a proper track pump.

@kelsen, you seem to be going for the belt and braces and then maybe some extra belts on top approach there. I've never really been tempted to try CO2, as <offers small sacrifice> the PF doesn't frequent me that often, and pumping the tyre up wasn't the bit that took the time with the Airtool (it had a long body, so was much quicker than a minipump). I'd probably freeze my fingers to the rim as well knowing my clumsiness.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Oddjob62 wrote:

+1
  • rjsterry
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    'S what we have in the office, but and they are great, but I was hoping to pay a bit less. All bike related purchases have to be rigourously justified at the moment.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I didn't think I needed a track till I borrowed my brothers. Wheee. Top Banana - can't for the life of remember what make it is atm of course.

But yeah - they've all said it too so must be true...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    rjsterry wrote:
    @kelsen, you seem to be going for the belt and braces and then maybe some extra belts on top approach there. I've never really been tempted to try CO2, as <offers small sacrifice> the PF doesn't frequent me that often, and pumping the tyre up wasn't the bit that took the time with the Airtool (it had a long body, so was much quicker than a minipump). I'd probably freeze my fingers to the rim as well knowing my clumsiness.
    :D
    You'll probably find quite a few others here have the same. I use the trackpump at home as it's infinitely quicker than a portable one. The mini one I carry with me everywhere, and the CO2 I carry but only really use for clubruns, training rides, or if it's pishing it down. 0-120psi in 1 sec is a godsend when you're tired, cold and wet!
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    I tend to agree you need both, small portable pumps are hard work compared to track pumps, ok in an emergency but frustrating in the garage.

Slightly off topic but can anyone recommend a track pump that screws into the valve rather than use that quick release snap shut abomination, I rarely get a good seal using my Blackburn track pump which I bought because of good reviews?
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Track pump from Aldi or Lidl, can't remember which - about €15-ish (£12? in 'real' money). Had it a year and no problems. Always carry a mini pump with me.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • garrynolan wrote:
    Track pump from Aldi or Lidl, can't remember which - about €15-ish (£12? in 'real' money). Had it a year and no problems. Always carry a mini pump with me.

I got one from Aldi last year, it exploded at what it claimed was 110 PSI. I reckon it was nearer 80. I bought a Joe Blow Sport (£27) and it is really night and day. You shouldn't skimp on something that handles really high pressures.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    rjsterry wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    'S what we have in the office, but and they are great, but I was hoping to pay a bit less. All bike related purchases have to be rigourously justified at the moment.

But it's sub £30 and awesome (as you already know)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • rjsterry
    Really?, I thought the Joe Blow was nearer £40. I must look harder.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topea ... 360013205/

£28.99 with free P&P

I don't own a track pump, but I'm posting this to show that it can be had for under £30.
    And 2% cashback with Quidco.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    markshaw77 wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:

+1
    +2. Works great.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Oddjob62 wrote:

+1 great pump
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_Joe_Blow_Sport_Track_Pump/5360013205/

£28.99 with free P&P

I don't own a track pump, but I'm posting this to show that it can be had for under £30.
    And 2% cashback with Quidco.

or if you buy tonight you can use the voucher