Speedplay Vs SPD's

Craggers
Craggers Posts: 185
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Quick one...

I'm looking for some replacment pedals, as after 5 months of faffing around in traffic trying to clip into my SPD-SL's I want to try out a double sided pedal. Question is....

Would anyone heartily recommend spanking nearly £100 on a pair of speedplay zeros over a pair of £20 shimano M520 SPDs??? are they worth the extra 80 bucks!?

Are the speedplays any easier/faster to clip into? I know they are mega adjustable but seeing as I've barely used the adjustability of the pedals I have know I don't think it's an issue.

Ta

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    for commuting duties the cheaps SPDs are unrivalled. The pedals cost under £20, the cleats are cheap to replace... Speedplay are too much wonga for commuting IMO.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I have no problem clipping in and out - you may have them done up too tight - have you eased off the tension using the allen key thingy at the back?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Craggers
    Yeah I've played with the tension but it's more to do with the fact that 99% of the time have to flip them over to get in..or wait till the pedal is at the top of its stroke when they're facing the right way...which I'm just too damned impatient to do!
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    I run both SPDs and speedplay zeroes, depending on what bike I'm on (use both for the commute)..

The speedplays are awesome pedals, no bones about it.

SPDs (in whatever incarnation - I use XT) are nowhere near as good in comparison. Found I needed a really stiff pair of shoes to get some decent power transfer out of them.

On the other hand, Speedplays are an absolute aris to walk in on account of half the pedal mechanism being in the cleat (and the requirement for "coffee cup covers").

If I only had one pair, I suppose it would be the SPDs purely on account of versatility . . .
  • Craggers
    Also I've just thought tomention that my SL cleats have completely worn in 5 months of daily commuting (the only walking I do is from the bike shed to the front door of the office...about 30m/day).

Is this an unusual rate of wear for SPD-SL cleats??
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I have speedplays on the roadies and SPDs on the commuting hack.

Speedplays are not as fast or easy to clip in and out of as SPDs, but are definitely a better pedal.
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    +1 on Gabriel's comments

I have SPDs on my commuting steeds and Speedplays on my best bike and I would never swap one for the other.

For me at least, SPDs tick every box going for commuting clipless pedals - double-sided, walkable shoes, easy maintenance, cheap to replace (pedals and cleats), hard wearing/durable,

The speedplays are great, but commuting in them could get expensive as the cleats are £30-40 a pop (as the mechanism in in the cleat) and they can be quite sensitive to dirt etc in the cleat.
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    Haven't tried the Zeros but Speedplay Frogs are my commute/off-road pedal of choice. The large amount of float means that if you have dodgy knees - like I do - they're much more comfortable than SPDs. They also have grease ports which keeps full maintenance to a minimum. If you mountain bike and commute I'd recommend them very highly, but they're not cheap, and so if you have good knees and are conscious of the cost then SPDs are probably the way to go.
  • Craggers
    Excellent...cheers guys!

I'll go for the spuds and rest soundly in the knowledge that I'll have an extra £80 to spend on some other shiny new things!

Hmmm anyone know where I can get a carbon seatpost for £80??
  • I’ve been using SPD’s for weekend road and commuting bikes and have put off changing the system on my road bike for fear of trouble disengaging “race” type pedals.
    Speedplay users, is there a feeling that Speedplays require more careful alignment to engage, do they need a heavier “stomp”?
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Nah - they're brilliant pedals. Practically perfect in every way (except for walking in them).
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i used to commute in SPDs then i swapped to speedplays. My god what a difference. faster, stronger, more comfortable.

would never go back to SPDs and not even considering another pedal system. They are perfect.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965

Speedplays are not as fast or easy to clip in and out of as SPDs, but are definitely a better pedal.
    You can't be doing it right - Speedplays offer the biggest target area of any pedal, for the purposes of clipping in. You have to rotate your ankle further to clip out than most systems, but then unlike most systems, there is essentially zero spring tension to overcome once you get there (for the X series and light action, that is).

The needle bearings are fragile and non-replaceable, that's my only complaint.
  • lost_in_thought
    I’ve been using SPD’s for weekend road and commuting bikes and have put off changing the system on my road bike for fear of trouble disengaging “race” type pedals.
    Speedplay users, is there a feeling that Speedplays require more careful alignment to engage, do they need a heavier “stomp”?

I certainly think so. It seems others would disagree!
  • lost_in_thought

You can't be doing it right - Speedplays offer the biggest target area of any pedal, for the purposes of clipping in. You have to rotate your ankle further to clip out than most systems, but then unlike most systems, there is essentially zero spring tension to overcome once you get there (for the X series and light action, that is).

I've got the zeroes. Is that the same as X-series? I didn't get light action ones. Once you're clipped in they're brilliant, but I do find them a fair bit trickier to clip into than SPDs.
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    I've got the zeroes. Is that the same as X-series? I didn't get light action ones. Once you're clipped in they're brilliant, but I do find them a fair bit trickier to clip into than SPDs.

Zeros are slightly different from the X-series (but only in the adjustable float IIRC)

I'm the same - my SPDs are easier than my speedplays, but then I use the SPDs daily and the speedplays more occasionally, so that might explain it

It might also be due to the walking sole on my commuting shoes giving more confidence that if I miss, then I will not go skating across the pedal as would happen with a carbon sole - OUCH!!
  • lost_in_thought
    markshaw77 wrote:

Zeros are slightly different from the X-series (but only in the adjustable float IIRC)

I'm the same - my SPDs are easier than my speedplays, but then I use the SPDs daily and the speedplays more occasionally, so that might explain it

It might also be due to the walking sole on my commuting shoes giving more confidence that if I miss, then I will not go skating across the pedal as would happen with a carbon sole - OUCH!!

I completely agree re the carbon sole. I really don't understand why they can't put a grippy rubber layer on the outside of the carbon soles so you don't have to worry about it. I've considered doing it myself.
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I use SPD pedals of various design on all my bikes for commuting, Sportives and MTB races. I use the same shoes (Lidl) for all and seem to do OK in the resuts.
    I don't want to be bothered with having different shoes for each bike or swapping pedals around all the time.
    The fact that they don't cost too much is a bonus.
    Mark
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • always_tyred

The innards are the same, but the outside it ribbed for.. um...
    Anyway, I think the clipping in/out, like any system is about familiarity. I've been using them for years and if I am a bit inaccurate I now know roughly where the lollypop is with respect to the hole in the cleat, and just slide over and engage as required.

. I have to be very inaccurate indeed to be so far out that the lollypop doesn't overlap with the hole in the cleat at all.

In contrast, when I used the old look style ones, or eggbeaters, if I miss, I miss entirely and practise doesn't make all that much difference (if I miss).
  • lost_in_thought

The innards are the same, but the outside it ribbed for.. um...
    Anyway, I think the clipping in/out, like any system is about familiarity. I've been using them for years and if I am a bit inaccurate I now know roughly where the lollypop is with respect to the hole in the cleat, and just slide over and engage as required.

. I have to be very inaccurate indeed to be so far out that the lollypop doesn't overlap with the hole in the cleat at all.

In contrast, when I used the old look style ones, or eggbeaters, if I miss, I miss entirely and practise doesn't make all that much difference (if I miss).

It's possibly just that I haven't used mine as much, maybe the springs soften with use or summat.
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    If you do decide to go with SPDs, get the PD-M540 instead of the 520, it's easier to install/remove from the cranks and, most importantly, easier to regrease (the 520 requires a special tool for this).
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Shimano SPD's. Cheap, versatile and reliable. I use the 520's and they will last for years with an occasional clean and spray with GT85. akcc05 makes a good point ref regreasing and 540's if you're more mechanically sympathetic than I am!
  • Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that no one has said the plain truth yet: Podios are the best. These other systems are all vastly inferior. 8)
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:
    Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that no one has said the plain truth yet: Podios are the best. These other systems are all vastly inferior. 8)

Listen Grandpa no one has ever heard of those let alone seen a pair and as for people that think it's cool & retro to own several pairs, pah!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Craggers
    What the hell are podios??!

Just noticed eggbeaters Cs on CRC for £20...anyone have any reasons why I should/shouldn't consider them??
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Eggbeaters. 4-sided entry. Unbeateable for commuting.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Egg beaters. They sure look pretty too! Do they hold up to getting knocked tho?
  • always_tyred
    Roastie wrote:
    Eggbeaters. 4-sided entry. Unbeateable for commuting.
    Why is 4 sides an advantage? I mean, how often do you flip a coin and have it land on one edge?

They are quite a clever design, though.

In answer to another post - they are quite robust. More so than Speedplays. I've had problems with speedplay bearings which aren't terribly well sealed and aren't all servicable. I've also recently had a metal plate crack through normal use and I broke the pedal body through what I thought was a very minor spill.
  • I can see from Speedplay’s web site that the Zero's have an adjuster on the "cleat", I can see how this might change the float, but does this allow the user to reduce the angle at which they disengage?

I have trouble turning my heel out since sustaining an injury and wondered if this might help? I did ask Speedplay but I didn’t understand their answer!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • lost_in_thought
    I can see from Speedplay’s web site that the Zero's have an adjuster on the "cleat", I can see how this might change the float, but does this allow the user to reduce the angle at which they disengage?

I have trouble turning my heel out since sustaining an injury and wondered if this might help? I did ask Speedplay but I didn’t understand their answer!

Yes, yes you can!

I won't try to explain it, I'm tired and slightly hung over, but someone who understands it will be along shortly...