GT Zaskar Carbon Expert
    '03 Stumpy HT
    Ribble Sportive Racing
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    And the start of all mine lol
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    that was more or less my point, it has some small benefits, some small downsides. not really that much better or worse overall, yet you do get some people raving about it.

Welll... When you look at the weight loss, you'd pay a fair bit to get that elsewhere... it's more than the difference between a Deore and XT crank frinstance. (or, with my XTR cranks, I run deore steel rings on it and it still weighs less than a triple with expensive XTR rings)

So it's not to be sniffed at. But for me it's mainly the ground clearance.

Bottom line for me is that a triple with a 44T chainring is a less sensible choice for most people than a double with a 3T chainring and no bash, yet it's the industry standard and we pay to have it on our bikes. So it's a bit odd really.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Fair enough, I may have to try it out next time it comes to a gear re-fit, although that's not likely to be for a year or too, so I'll get back to you. Are you using a triple shifter or a double?
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not sure if there are any double shifters... I've ended up with SLX double mechs and X9 triple shifters though the XT triple mech worked fine with double rings. SLX double is just easier to set up and lighter.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Sorry to interrupt your OT ladies, but I am now looking at a 10 speed cassette to minimise gear compromise as they do a 11-36, which will in fact give me pretty much the same gears as I currently use accross 2 rings. Does anyone know if my M950 rear mech will cope with that cassette both in terms of capacity and in terms of chain width?

Thanks.

Confused of Sussex
  • supersonic
    The mech will not cope with the 36t.
  • nickfrog
    supersonic wrote:
    The mech will not cope with the 36t.

Damn. Thanks anyway. Will it cope with 34t though ??
  • supersonic
    Possibly not lol. My 952 just does the 32.
  • nickfrog
    Thanks SS. Better buy a 9-sp SLX rear mech while they still exist...I guess I can sell the M950 for the same money.