Ribble riders

mickbrown
mickbrown Posts: 100
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
I've read somewhere that their sizing guide can be a bit on the small side. I realise that sizing and fit is a personal thing but I'm after general experiences.

I'm 6'0 - what size should I be looking at?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Well, I'm between 5'9 and 5'10 and I'm riding a 7005SL size 54. However, I have had to swap the stem from the standard 100mm to an 80mm stem and it's transformed the bike for me in terms of comfort.

I guess I have stumpy arms.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've just ordered a 7005 horizontal. Their guide recommends a 58cm, which sounds about right, certainly wouldn't want to go much smaller. I'm 6'3" with a 34cm inner leg. I've got a fiarly long torso so I'm hoping that the horizontal reach with the 100mm stem is OK
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I'm 6'3" with a 34cm inner leg. I've got a fiarly long torso so I'm hoping that the horizontal reach with the 100mm stem is OK

If you're 6'3" and have a 34cm inner leg, then your torso is more than just fairly long!
  • Headhuunter
    I'm 6'3" with a 34cm inner leg. I've got a fiarly long torso so I'm hoping that the horizontal reach with the 100mm stem is OK

If you're 6'3" and have a 34cm inner leg, then your torso is more than just fairly long!
    Yep, but I've been told I've got much larger than average lungs too fit into my long torso. I was x rayed a while back and they had to do 2 shots of my lungs as they wouldn't fit on a standard x ray plate
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,414
    Err, I think you're mixing your units there HH; a 34cm inside leg would make your legs about 13", and your torso around 4'6" (allowing for your head and neck). A strange looking chap indeed. Even at 34" inside leg, that's quite a long body. I'm 7" shorter than you, but only 2" shorter inside leg. Funnily enough, I also had a chest x-ray recently, and they described my lungs as 'quite tall'. I also had fun setting the alarm off when they tried to take my pulse rate - I don't think those little blue boxes attached to the arm cuffs are calibrated for cyclists. Sorry, veering OT a bit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Headhuunter
    rjsterry wrote:
    Err, I think you're mixing your units there HH; a 34cm inside leg would make your legs about 13", and your torso around 4'6" (allowing for your head and neck). A strange looking chap indeed. Even at 34" inside leg, that's quite a long body. I'm 7" shorter than you, but only 2" shorter inside leg. Funnily enough, I also had a chest x-ray recently, and they described my lungs as 'quite tall'. I also had fun setting the alarm off when they tried to take my pulse rate - I don't think those little blue boxes attached to the arm cuffs are calibrated for cyclists. Sorry, veering OT a bit.

Sorry I meant 34" inside leg... Yeah the lung thing's probably rubbish, they were probably just trying to make me feel better when I was in hospital! Made me feel good at the time...
  • Strangely enough, HH, you and I are almost identical sizes both in height and leg. For what it's worth, I have a 58.5 cm top tube and need a 120mm stem which fits me superbly.
  • Can anyone help

I'm 6' 1.5" talll with an inside leg of 32.5. (I have a long torso)

I'm really interested in a ribble Sportive but the sizing guide would place me inbetween a large and X Large. Ribble themsleves say Large would do with a 13cm stem.

All the shops that I've been too say I should ride an Xlarge in whatever model they are trying to sell me.

I have heard that 13cm stems aren't necessarily a good thing so I'm tending toward a Xlarge with a 10cm stem.

Can anyone give some insight. I'm guessing both sizes will fit it just a matter of setup!

Thanks
  • Headhuunter
    Strangely enough, HH, you and I are almost identical sizes both in height and leg. For what it's worth, I have a 58.5 cm top tube and need a 120mm stem which fits me superbly.

That's interesting, I assume that's not a Ribble bike as their horizontal frame geometry lists the 58cm frame as having 58cm top tube as well. I plumped for the standard 100mm stem... Wondered about going for a longer one but wasn't sure. Ah well, if I need to extend to a 130mm I'll do it some time later...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm 6'3" with a 34cm inner leg. I've got a fiarly long torso so I'm hoping that the horizontal reach with the 100mm stem is OK

Yep, but I've been told I've got much larger than average lungs too fit into my long torso. I was x rayed a while back and they had to do 2 shots of my head as it wouldn't fit on a standard x ray plate

Fixed that for you :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    mickbrown wrote:
    I've read somewhere that their sizing guide can be a bit on the small side. I realise that sizing and fit is a personal thing but I'm after general experiences.

I'm 6'0 - what size should I be looking at?
    I

I'm 6t 3" and ride a 58cm Ribble.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Headhuunter
    itboffin wrote:

Yep, but I've been told I've got much larger than average lungs too fit into my long torso. I was x rayed a while back and they had to do 2 shots of my head as it wouldn't fit on a standard x ray plate

Fixed that for you :twisted:

Oh don't get me started on my enormous brain....
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    I'm 6 foot 2 and ride a large size Ribble Sportive with a 90mm stem. An X-Large was too stretched for me