OE vs aftermarket

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited May 2010 in MTB general
I just got some RS Revs from a well-known online bike shop and predictably they are OE items. The plain carton included the forks, user manual, remote Poploc thing, nifty anodised adjuster tool, a tie wrap and a sticker.

Now I'm not complaining (because the price was good) but what else do you get with the full-price, boxed up aftermarket forks?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    maybe different internals.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    Really? Could you be more specific?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Alot of OEM forks have steel steerers too rather than alu ones.. big weight diff
  • ian220476
    ian220476 Posts: 164
    what does OE stand for?
    GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I bought 2 pairs of SID teams last year, one set from a local company and one from Merlin. The Merlin ones came plain boxed, I'm guessing OEM. The others came in an RS box and had a shock pump and groovy coloured stickers with them. Other than that I could not tell the difference. Certainly both had alloy steerers and outwardly they look identical (incl Blackbox internals label)

what rev did you buy? check the spec on the equivalent fork on RS' site and compare perhaps?
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • .blitz
    They are Dual Air Race and externally they appear to be as they should be - ally steerer, all the stickers, little o-ring on one of the stanchions.

I didn't get a shock pump or any spare fork leg stickers though and they weren't in a RS box.

Ian: OE means Original Equipment. They are parts intended for bike manufacturers and don't always have the same packaging as their aftermarket (retail) equivalents.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Does OE stuff have all the same warranties and after sales support as normal after market stuff?
  • I got a proper RS box, shock pump, all the spacers, manual, cable ties, warranty/returns info and stickers in my "proper" RS Rev box.

IIRC, the warranty on an OEM fork won't be covered by the normal warranty (on the OEM stuff i've been sent, i've only had instructions, no info about a warranty) because they aren't usually made to be sold seperate... in some cases forks are custom spec'd/designed for specific bikes.

I think the "warranty" iof OEM stuff stands with the shop you bought it from, so they are likely to replace it if it goes wrong anyways.... but i'm not sure about long term replacements.

Its a very grey area tbh.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any warranty is always with the seller. but for OE stuff the seller will have to fix it rather than send it to the distributor for fixing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    jairaj wrote:
    Does OE stuff have all the same warranties and after sales support as normal after market stuff?

This one bears the number of the devil... :twisted:
  • jairaj
    I recently bought a new set of RS Revs from Merlin. They arrived in a plain box with forks, pop lock and manual. There was no fork pump included. From the box and packaging this looks like a OEM fork, there is also no mention on the website this is a OEM product. Should there have been a fork pump included? and do I have any right to ask Merlin to send me a fork pump?
  • spud-face
    spud-face Posts: 120
    so far as i can tell, included shock pumps are a perk of after-market buying. wouldn't expect anywhere to include them with oe - doubt you'd get one with a new bike, and the fork's just come off one, so..
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    jairaj wrote:
    I recently bought a new set of RS Revs from Merlin. They arrived in a plain box with forks, pop lock and manual. There was no fork pump included. From the box and packaging this looks like a OEM fork, there is also no mention on the website this is a OEM product. Should there have been a fork pump included? and do I have any right to ask Merlin to send me a fork pump?

to be honest , no.
    you cant have it both ways , near identical product at big reduction from normal retail price AND flashy packaging with free extras.
    there's a reason my recons from merlin were £70 cheaper than RRP , i can live without a genuine RS box that goes straight in the bin and crappy stickers i'll never use.
    just enjoy your product and stop complaining.
    :?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I agree, I always buy OE where possible as it`s a lot cheaper and I don`t need boxes but the shops should still tell you if it`s OE and CRC and Merlin never do.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • jairaj
    biff55 - Im simply asking what should have been included with the fork. As far as I am concerned the product is not marked as OEM and I should get everything that is included in the normal after market version. I don't care about the fancy box I just thought I'd be getting a shock pump with it.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    What you`ve got is OE, tell them you`re not happy and see what they say.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They should state if OE really.
  • biff55
    supersonic wrote:
    They should state if OE really.

the 25-30 % off normal price sort of gives it away though.
    :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Selling after market does too lol. Easy to assume either I suppose.
  • biff55
    even though merlin dont say either way , the forks themselves are always spanking brand new and come with instructions and warranty with is the important issue.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    When I got my tora 318 coil u-turns with remote lockout, OEMs the only difference was noy having v-brake mounts fine by me and for £138 from wiggle I wasn't all that bothered about a nice box or mounts I'll never use :wink:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: