Tyres - Fat vs Thin

iPad
iPad Posts: 112
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Stupid question number 2145…

I've got a Giant Escape R1, which came with 32 mm tyres (Maxxiss something or others), but after 2 days I had a visit from the PF, so I swapped them for 23 mm (Bontranger Race Elites) which have thus far managed to fend of the PF.

However the ride is very hard and with the local council's attitude to road maintenance, my ride to and from work feels like I've been riding on a pneumatic drill.

I am also thinking about taking the bike more off road at weekends, I'm not talking mountain trails or anything like that, but more akin to dirt tracks.

My question is, I am better off getting a wider tyre (I was thinking Schalbe Marathon Plus 32mm) and running it at a slightly lower pressure to absorb the bumps, or should I just MTFU and stick with the thin ones?

I am open to your advice.

Ta
I know the voices in my head aren't real, but they have such great ideas

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Bit of both. I commute on 25mm but keep them well pumped up to avoid the pf
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I have 23mm tyres on my bike. There is an argument that on rougher roads then 25mm or 27/28mm tyres run at a little lower pressure should bounce around less and thus be more efficient.
    The roads aren't bad enough for 32mm tyres.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I do roads with massive pot holes and cycle paths with a lot of broken glass so I go for pumped up 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus as they have a kevlar liner to make em a bit tougher
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    The thinner the better. I was running 19mm tyres a while back. Anything over 23mm is just not cool.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • iPad
    Thanks for the replies, but how good are thin tyres off road?
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    If you're going off-road, I would go for cyclo cross tyres with p*ncture protection, something like this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    On the sirrus, I'm running victoria randonneur 28 at 80psi.
    Comfy while not being too sluggish.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I run 28 Marathons at 100 psi on my CX bike - fast enough for road grippy enough for paths and pretty much PF proof
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I run 28 Marathons at 100 psi on my CX bike - fast enough for road grippy enough for paths and pretty much PF proof

Snap!! I run the same.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • I run 28 Marathons at 100 psi on my CX bike - fast enough for road grippy enough for paths and pretty much PF proof

Snap!! I run the same.
    Jay, Wallace, is that the straight Marathons as opposed to the Marathon+?
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I`ve got 28 marathon plus too. I like them but every time I`ve tried to get them over about 85psi the tube has eventually exploded, although maybe that`s my crappy trackpump gauge!!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    Canny Jock wrote:
    If you're going off-road, I would go for cyclo cross tyres with p*ncture protection, something like this:

+1 for CX tyres, it's what they're designed for.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:

+1 for CX tyres, it's what they're designed for.

yup, I do like marathon tires but they do give a hard ride even at low PSI. CX tires would be faster nicer ride I'd think.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Personally I'm a fan of a bit more rubber.

At the moment I am running 32 Vittoria Randonneur Hypers - absolutely sensational tyres. At 6 bar they roll nearly as well as most good 25 tyres but are so smooth; I don't see the point in being pummelled if you don't have to. Riding with some mates last night on the way back from Palace (where I was flag waving, so not on race bike) and watching them weave around holes and manhole covers, I realised just how much I've stopped worrying about surface imperfections since riding 32s.

For racing I'll obviously stick to my 23 Michelin Pro Race, but commuting isn't racing, right?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Roastie wrote:
    Personally I'm a fan of a bit more rubber.

At the moment I am running 32 Vittoria Randonneur Hypers - absolutely sensational tyres. At 6 bar they roll nearly as well as most good 25 tyres but are so smooth; I don't see the point in being pummelled if you don't have to. Riding with some mates last night on the way back from Palace (where I was flag waving, so not on race bike) and watching them weave around holes and manhole covers, I realised just how much I've stopped worrying about surface imperfections since riding 32s.

For racing I'll obviously stick to my 23 Michelin Pro Race, but commuting isn't racing, right?

yup "big green" ie a big heavy hybrid has 38mm M+ so I don't move out of the way of speed bumps let alone potholes....
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    Another big tyre fan - my 37 Conti Sport Contacts let me steamroller small potholes, botched road repairs, ironwork etc and make life a bit more comfortable on the assault course known as the roads of South London.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I've had Marathon Plus 28 on the Tricross for a few months, they are easily the most p*ncture proof tyres, but they are very heavy, don't have great grip on the road and aren't brilliant off road.

I really think for your requirements 32 or above CX tyres with p*ncture protection are the best option.
  • iPad
    Thanks for al the replies.

I have decided on 32 Marathon +

Mostly because they appear to be the only pair of 700 x 32 tyres I can get my hands on before Saturday morning..!