HT for Trail Centre riding - 80mm forks enough??

Splatter
Splatter Posts: 41
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Looking at the Rockhopper SL Pro but why only 80mm forks on the S/M bikes? Otherwise it's a good spec. Can't find another HT bike around the £1k mark that I particularly like - but is 80mm sufficient for trail centre type riding - eg Cannock / Dalby?
The artist formerly known as "HALO"
What Mountain Bike Forum - R.I.P.
Trailspirit mtb web - R.I.P.
mtbuk.co.uk & Bike Weasel - R.I.P.

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Depends on how smooth a rider on you and also the angles will probably be pretty steep
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Yes, it'll be fine.

They put shorter forks on to prevent the geometry being messed up in their opinion
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    technically that is enough travel but different people like different types of bikes. Try going for a test ride and seeing how it feels.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    I have 80mm of very springy undamped travel and have got round the n wales trail centres not saying this is ideal though :wink:
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    I have rockhopper sl expert with 80mm, did ride in N Wales red+black trails ... and wouldn't say that 80mm is to little travel. All depends on your style, and how you bash it really. But then if you are headless flying demon without any fear of death, then maybe you may need a little more. Did use all 80mm as I am on 15+stones side (didn't bottom them out once), but then you rarely would go through full travel if you flow on trails. Me thinks, there is to much of marketing shoot around thrown at riders.

p.s. my forks set out at stiffest rating*
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    Rockhopper - great bike!!

I agree with 'popstar', think that it all depends on how you want to ride it and how hard you push it.

Found a website with some great google maps for trails - ukmountainbiker.com!

Great site to print off pdf maps! Just an idea....
  • albo
    albo Posts: 260
    Recently I have been running my Giant STP with a Pike set a 90mm.

I've been getting better, and it feels pretty smooth with it.

If it's a good, 'well kept', fork then yes, prefect!

albo.
  • Mr Rowlie
    Mr Rowlie Posts: 41
    Been riding an 80mm Hardtail round Afan for years,

perfectly fine for me!
  • I have ridden my 80mm a fair few times round dalby and cwm carn (xc trail), regularly using all of the travel. Its great fun, at times i do wish i had something bigger so that i could possibly have a slightly smoother ride or go and hit bigger things.

But im content with it and its more than enough really.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    I would go for a 100mm fork as you improve 80mm may not be enough....the Rockhoppers are OK but check out the likes of Cube, Giant, Trek and Scott....try and test a few then make your mind up...the Cubes are great value....take a look at these

£850 will get you this
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2010

And this is a beauty for £950

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=44336
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A friend of mine regularly does Cannock on his Zaskar team with PACE carbon
    rigid forks, so doing it on 80mm should be fine, as has been said its somewhat down to riding style (how much you make the bike need suspension) and preferances (how much your body wants protecting!)!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As long as it's got decent damping, then yes, it is enough. We all had to ride rigids, because that's what we had once, remember, and we got on fine.
  • Splatter
    Splatter Posts: 41
    Well I've bitten the bullet and gone for the Rockhopper Sl Pro - looks like a very good spec for the price especially as I've got £150 worth of free gear, part-ex. on my roadie ( if I need to use it for that ) and interest free untill end September - deal or what??
    The artist formerly known as "HALO"
    What Mountain Bike Forum - R.I.P.
    Trailspirit mtb web - R.I.P.
    mtbuk.co.uk & Bike Weasel - R.I.P.
  • Believe it or not people used to ride fully rigid bikes offroad !! The guys I ride with me tell me this all the time its like a history lesson. Personally I cant imagine how painful it must have been where we ride in the lake district.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Believe it or not people used to ride fully rigid bikes offroad !! The guys I ride with me tell me this all the time its like a history lesson. Personally I cant imagine how painful it must have been where we ride in the lake district.
    It was bloody painful. I remember my knuckles feeling like somebody had smashed them with a lump hammer.
    It was still fun though. Much, much slower, but fun.