Mtb or Road Bike on Tarmac?

shorti
shorti Posts: 15
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Been using my hardtail with Conti Ultra Gatorskin tyres for training on road .Now considering
road bike as well , how much differance will the larger wheels make to my speed averages,
usually 16/17mph on 30-40m rides.
TREK EX8.0 08
ON-ONE INBRED 09
ZASKAR 1996

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    You will get higher average speeds out of a road bike but probably not as much as you'd expect. Riding a road bike is a very different experience to an MTB, the acceleration is phenomenal on a good road bike. I got my road bike last year and enjoy riding it as a change to the MTBs.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I noticed more disadvantages to moving from a good mtb with slicks to a cheap road bike.
    Unless you are going to do it properly, just stick with what you got.

My mtb is a 29er though....

Rent a road bike, see for yourself.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    My dad got me a 2nd hand road bike as a present for me to see if I liked it. He spent about £100 on it. It's had a bit more spent on it since then for me to be a bit more comfortable on it.

Its a decathlon. Its heavy, flexy, and the wrong size.

I've done nearly 10,000 miles on it, including several mountains in France, and I love it.
  • Road bike is much better for tarmac, faster rolling ,climbs better, lighter bike. Handles better going round corners and downhill.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,774
    If you can have a road bike and an MTB, do it. They complement each other nicely and I enjoy doing both. A roadie is also a good way of getting your fitness up and you'll enjoy the MTB'ing more because of that (as well as not knackering your MTB quite as quickly :) )

You will be faster on a road bike in most situations, how much will depend on quite a few things.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Road bike for sure if you're doing alot of road miles - they're built for the job 8)
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Get a roadie as well.

You'll enjoy both, compromises never work.

I have both, and love it. I can go where i want now
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    another one for the road bike..

the clue is in the name. ROAD bike i never looked back since i got mine for the commute,