Buckled Chainring

WesternWay
WesternWay Posts: 564
edited April 2010 in The workshop
Whilst cycling in this morning, I seem to have buckled the large chainring.

This seems odd, it was pretty sudden, and is buckled by probably a couple of mm, possibly a bit more... Sufficient that I cannot get the front derailleur to anything like run smoothly.

This seems utterly bizarre, do chainrings really buckle?

George

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    WesternWay wrote:
    ..., I seem to have buckled the large chainring.
    .... This seems utterly bizarre, do chainrings really buckle?

It can happen, though it's rare: there shouldn't be any significant lateral force on a chainring in normal use. It's more common to bend one in a fall.

Are the "stack bolts" that hold it on to the spider tight?

Cheers,
    W.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and is the cranks bolt(s) tight.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • WesternWay
    Thanks both, bolts all seem tight.... By eye it looks like the ring is buckled slightly inwards around where the crank is...

All seems odd.

George
  • WesternWay
    Hmmm, well Evans in the city seem to have 52 or possibly 53 toothed chainrings in stock, but only Shimano 105s.... I ride a lowly Ridgeback T1 with even more lowly Alvio components.

What do you think are the chances of them interchanging nicely? I know the 105 is overkill compared to what is there already, but I just want a quick repair :-)
  • Rothsay
    Rothsay Posts: 64
    I also bent the large chainring in an inexplicale way - mostly coasting down a long hill. Miles from anywhere and in pouring rain :( I cannot explain it. I was on an even more lowly (and old) Raleigh. I managed to straighten it with an adjustable wrench sufficiently to get back home. I subsequently did a little more delicate bending and it now behaves perfectly.

Of course it depends on the metal the chainring is made of but it may be worth a try...
  • WesternWay
    How bizarre, I noticed mine at the bottom of the hill at Archway, a hill which I had put no effort into due to a) inherent laziness and b) no real taste for oveertaking the roadie in front of me when I was just going to have to stop at lights at the bottom.

I bent mine back into some sort of shape and things seem "better". I have also re-adjusted the front derailleur and I /think/ that it will be better in the morning. I also took the two bigger chainrings off, cleaned them and reseated them, mainly out of blind hope :-)

Thank you everyone for your help.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    WesternWay wrote:
    ...I bent mine back into some sort of shape and things seem "better". .... I also took the two bigger chainrings off, cleaned them and reseated them, mainly out of blind hope :-) ....

If you need to come back to this:

I don't think your chainset is an "alivio". From what I can tell that's primarily an MTB groupset and the chainsets are four-bolt jobbies. I think your shifters & mechs may well be out of that stable ('cos they are easy to fit to flat-bar bikes) but your chainset is a "roadie" one (that's how it looks in the pictures of Ridgeback T1s).
    To be sure of compatibility you should check the "BCD" (Bolt Circle Diameter). Assuming it is a five-bolt chainset then it'll either be a "compact" one, where the middle & outer rings mount on a 110mm BCD spider or a "standard" one with a 130mm BCD.
    Put a ruler between two adjacent bolts and measure the distance between them. If it's just under 65mm then you have a 110mm BCD and if it's just over 76mm then it's 130mm.

I expect the "105" chainrings are 130mm.

Hopefully, this information will be of no use to you whatsoever... :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • WesternWay
    WG

Thank you so much for your answer. It is mighty informative and very useful... I am sorry that I have taken so long to reply, I have been out of the office for the latter half of the week.

After putting everything back together, I set out on Weds morning, got four miles or so and snapped my chain.... ARRRRGGGGHHHHH

george
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    if you need to buy a replacement, check cycle surgery on holloway road too - closer to Archway than evans.