Tips on warm up exercises before hitting the road.

yendor65
yendor65 Posts: 8
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Getting on the bike first thing in the morning, I was wondering if anyone had any warm up tips before hitting the road. Legs are very rusty before I start!!!!
Transeo 3.0, 23.4"

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I understand that you shouldn't stretch while cold, if that helps.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I warm up on the bike. You don't need to start going balls-out from the outset; if you feel you need to warm up, just pedal more lightly for 10 minutes when you set off.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Stretch after your ride home in the evening, your legs won't be so stiff in the morning.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    amnezia wrote:
    Stretch after your ride home in the evening, your legs won't be so stiff in the morning.
    This

Must remember to take my own advice once in a while
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Just ride gently to start. It takes me 2 or 3 miles before I feel good.
  • Gulp down half a cup of lukewarm coffee that I made 20 minutes earlier and meant to drink but never did, then MTFU and go like a f*cking madman into the teeth of another bl00dy headwind

because I'm late leaving the house again :roll:

Alternatively ...... the advice when running was DO NOT STRETCH BEFORE RUNNING. Jog for 5-10 minutes so your muscles are warmed up then stretch out and go for it. So the advice should hold true for the bike too.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,414
    JonGinge wrote:
    Must remember to take my own advice once in a while

+1 Am absolutely useless at remembering to do this and regularly pay the price. Often takes me from Carshalton to Tooting to get going as I would like. Will have to ask wife to nag me more.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    ibuprofen with your brekkie :wink:
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Drugs and what TRM said although i've progressed from luke warm coffee gulping to mini flask, still warm when I get to the station 8)

Stretching is for losers and sensible people :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Gulp down half a cup of lukewarm coffee that I made 20 minutes earlier and meant to drink but never did, then MTFU and go like a f*cking madman into the teeth of another bl00dy headwind

because I'm late leaving the house again :roll:

Alternatively ...... the advice when running was DO NOT STRETCH BEFORE RUNNING. Jog for 5-10 minutes so your muscles are warmed up then stretch out and go for it. So the advice should hold true for the bike too.

+1. 3 X 8 sets of MTFU should do the trick... :wink:
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    20 ...........ok 10 pressups . Lift ones self from floor ,and off we go !!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    Nope, I just get on the bike and ride...never seems to do me any harm.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]