Bikes running sweet

2»

Comments

• saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Thanks for all your replies..

@Cat with no tail.. yes indeed this is the Top Fuel 9.9 (cool that you reemember :D )

I do know how to maintain bikes, but i have all my experience on 2003 and older, I also have a 2003 sworks which runs like a dream, and I can lift my hand to any part of it, and fix/adjust anything with it.

Since buying the Trek I realised i know nothing about disc breaks, but i think i am about to start learning lol.

The bike is awsome, but i am thinking i have bought a "bad egg".. I spent the extra money cos i wanted a bike that could cope with pretty much anything i throw at it, i am a very gentle rider (compared to most) and just expected to be the one with the least amount of problems, but I cant even change down or up gears without hassel.

I do understand cables stretching etc but front mechs that hit the crank arms etc, even when you adjust the limit screws and when you do that then the front mech wont engage the top ring, so its a constant battle!..

Just very frustrating! :cry:
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I have two very slow punctures only. I've checked the rear one already and can't for the life of me find the hole. The other I only noticed this morning. The bike has been on a high of late, what with just getting some nice shiny new bits of drivetrain and giving it a good clean as winter finally seems to be leaving
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    I think my bike runs quite well. There's always something that could be improved, but I'm learning. Serviced my forks a few weeks ago and they're running nicely again. Shifting is better now that cables have been cleaned and lubed last week. Now it's a creaking drivetrain I'm fixing. I guess keeping the bike running smoothly is half the battle. The other half is keeping me in good order :P
  • I do understand cables stretching etc but front mechs that hit the crank arms etc, even when you adjust the limit screws and when you do that then the front mech wont engage the top ring, so its a constant battle!..

:shock:

Seriously?! Are you sure everything is fitted with the correct bits, like the right amount of bb spacers and stuff? ... I don't know a lot mind :lol: , but that does sound extreme and so maybe they built it a bit wrong!
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I spent last night teaching myself to bleed Avid Elixirs and very proud I was of myself too! That said, it's still not quite as air-free as I'd like so will be having another go this evening.

To be honest, bikes are really quite simple things but you need practice fettling them. First time I set my gears up they were all over the shop, now when I do it, they often work afterwards.

My full-suss is in a bad way though - needs some proper love and attention, plus the forks and rear can need a thorough service and that will be getting done professionally.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    you can spend all the money you like on the best bike in the world.... but if you dont maintain it and keep it adjusted and tuned up, and realy look after it, stuff will brake and not work right.... my bike works pretty much perfectly all the time, although at the moment my brakes and gears are a bit dodjy... however, instead of moaning about how it shouldnt happen on an expensive bike... im gonna go fix it.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • saprkzz wrote:
    Thanks for all your replies..

@Cat with no tail.. yes indeed this is the Top Fuel 9.9 (cool that you reemember :D )

CWNT sees all, CWNT knows all.

I'm like god, impotent..... no wait, omnipotent.
    Bugger!

Aaaaanyway....

I would definately have taken it back to the shop you bought it from and told then to sort it. The stuff you're describing dosent sound like your average bedding in issues, it sounds like basic set-up issues. On a bike like this, you should really expect it to be set up properly when you get it, then just a little fine-tuning to get it EXACTLY how you like it over time.

If it was bought online, email them and list the problems and tell them you want them to either take it back and sort it, or pay for a LBS to fix it!
  • saprkzz
    you can spend all the money you like on the best bike in the world.... but if you dont maintain it and keep it adjusted and tuned up, and realy look after it, stuff will brake and not work right.... my bike works pretty much perfectly all the time, although at the moment my brakes and gears are a bit dodjy... however, instead of moaning about how it shouldnt happen on an expensive bike... im gonna go fix it.

I hear ya!! :roll: lol BUT you would be the first to have a moan if you spend a lot of money on something, and from day one it didnt work. I have only had this bike a few weeks, you dont expect to have to start fixing something that is brand new!.

Bike is in the shop now, will have to wait to see what they reckon. If it develops same problems once its returned then I will have to buy a new bike i reckon! :cry:
  • mikee1979
    mikee1979 Posts: 151
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Anyone had their Fox forks serviced? Mine need doing but I don't want to wait years. How much and how long? Or can a decent mechanic do them (I know one)?

They compress fine but there's almost no sag so they are a bit skittish. It's the only thing that could be improved.

Had my forks and shock serviced by TF Tuned. About £90 for each and worth every penny. Scratches removed from the stanchions, very responsive feel to them now and my rear shock came back looking brand new to be honest it looks like they of just replaced it.

Cost about about £180 in total but my bike feels like new again. It's the first time in four years though I've had them serviced.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    saprkzz wrote:

I hear ya!! :roll: lol BUT you would be the first to have a moan if you spend a lot of money on something, and from day one it didnt work. I have only had this bike a few weeks, you dont expect to have to start fixing something that is brand new!.

Bike is in the shop now, will have to wait to see what they reckon. If it develops same problems once its returned then I will have to buy a new bike i reckon! :cry:
    fair enough and totaly true... my bike is about a year old, and not much is original....

if i had just droped 4.5 k on a dream bike i would expect the shop to make sure everything worked absolutely perfectly first time, all the time.... at least for a while...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    All my bikes are currently running pretty sweet (especially my rigid SS, there's nothing to go wrong :D) . There is always some little job to do but that's all part of maintenance and is to be expected given the pounding they get.

My Duster needs a whole new drivetrain as it's looking pretty tired after 18 months battering!

Couple of things I've learned about bike maintenance :
    - the best disc brakes are those that are bled properly with the pads bed in (doesn't matter whether they're bogo standard or £300 carbon items)
    - shimano brakes spares are easy to get hold of but still generally sh*t (all except the latest Deore M595s seemingly)
    - don't over do it on the cleaning especially when it comes to water, it's a mountain bike it's supposed to get dirty and god knows there's usually enough water about when riding without adding to it when getting home!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    CycloRos wrote:
    - shimano brakes spares are easy to get hold of but still generally sh*t (all except the latest Deore M595s seemingly)

Um, completely wrong? Spares are hard to get hold of, they mainly want to sell whole parts so you can't easily get seals etc. But the SLX and XT brakes are both really good.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Don't want to jinx myself but my Edison has run sweet as a nut from day one - I built it myself and think my anal approach to building it up (everything copperslipped or loctited as relevant) slowly and very carefully, plus a pretty OCD-like routine of 'night before ride' checks has ensured it stays that way. My previous bikes were all the same too.

I genuinely think it's largely down to taking the time to not only understand but actually 'feel' things on your bike, and take care of the stupid little things (tyre pressures, spoke tension, regularly lubing cables) that often get forgotten that can make a bike run beautifully.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I think the best thing I did was get in to the sport when I was 14 and had very little money. I got a £300 bike and spent every Saturday night taking bits off, poking around and putting them back on.

I had a few 'oh s&*£' moments, like most people. But I learned stuff about the drivetrain that I still haven't forgotten.

Never used a disc brake though.

I reckon the only job I wouldn't undertake on my bike is replacing the headset.... Although I'm not a huge fan of cleaning dog poo off the tyres.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    andyrm wrote:
    I genuinely think it's largely down to taking the time to not only understand but actually 'feel' things on your bike, and take care of the stupid little things (tyre pressures, spoke tension, regularly lubing cables) that often get forgotten that can make a bike run beautifully.

Agreed. Particularly the part about cables. Cleaning and lubing cables is easy, takes just a couple of minutes, and yet can make such a positive difference for shifting.
  • saprkzz
    Well, it seems it wasnt just a few tweaks of a screwdriver.

Have spoken to the shop, and there is something more serious.

It turns out that the factory equipment on this bike may not be suitable / compatible with the Bike, and they are awaiting a reply from the shop.

The bike has a Double rind chainset (FSA), and XTR front mech, this combination is playing havoc with the bike and there is nothing they can do to set it 100%. If you play with the limit screws, the mech hits the chainset, if you back them off it wont change!.. pfff great..lol

I have have chainsuck twice as well which has stripped the paint on the back stay, so looks like Trek may be replacing:

New chainstays
    New Front mech
    New Chainset (Triple XTR)
    New rear mech
    New changers

Gotta love this bike eh??

will keep you update :roll:
  • Doombrain
    Doombrain Posts: 360
    my scott is sweet.

just finished cleaning out the rear hub and re-greasing, cleaned and tefloned the chain, reset the disk callipers, taken out thorns from tyres, swapped tyres around, indexed both mecks, topped up both shocks, cleaned drive chain, checked disk pads, reset the seat and checked for wear.

shame my front wheel is having a spoke fixed GOD DAMN IT
    LOL road riding.