Good backpack for commute?

bdigital
bdigital Posts: 193
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
I would like to start riding to work.

But i have bottled it so far because i need to carry my gym bag containing the following:

-Change of clothes for gym
- Trainers
-Sometimes a squash racket
-My 3 lunch boxes (little and often keeps the metabolism up!)

My gym bag is not practicle for riding around with - So how does everyone else manage?

I would like to hear your thoughts :)

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use a Ortleib Velocity.

It's quite big, but it's very comfortable and completely waterproof so your clothes will arrive bone dry, even in the worst of weathers.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Deuter Bike 1 for me.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Check out the Deuters on Wiggle. They have a netting on the back, I think. Might be of use for your racket.

(I've a Kathmandhu - about 40 litres, maybe. It would probably fit a squash racket inside, but would be a bit of a squeeze.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    JonGinge wrote:

+1. Very good bag that I had on my back al the way to Paris last year and on my daily commute. Very comfy, some good features and waterproof if need be
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Deuter Race X Air
  • snellgrove
    snellgrove Posts: 171
    edited April 2010
    Asprilla wrote:
    I use a Ortleib Velocity.

It's quite big, but it's very comfortable and completely waterproof so your clothes will arrive bone dry, even in the worst of weathers.

Got one of those as well. It's 20 litres, but looks bigger than it is when unrolled. Has a detachable bit inside for holding small stuff; I put my iPod, headphones, wallet, phone, keys, mini-pump, etc in that bit.

:edit:

I dug up my post in the 'things I just bought' thread and I bought mine on the strength of this review: Wired.com 'Hands on with the Ortlieb Velocity'
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Vaude Spash 20 + 5 is a good commuting pack.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Harry B wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

+1. Very good bag that I had on my back al the way to Paris last year and on my daily commute. Very comfy, some good features and waterproof if need be

+2. Very well made & well specced. My only complaint (and it's barely one) is that with the arm straps fairly tight to prevent bag-wobble, it sits high up enough on my back to interfere with the rear of my helmet if I sit up! So I've loosened my straps and it's fine.
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    Chrome Metropolis! It'll take that lot with ease, and with the way it sits on your back, the squash racket can just poke out of the top.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Deute ... 360043822/

not tried the dueter 1 but this one is fantasic, great quality and build.

Manage to get a decent amount in aswell with the extendable part and design makes it feel like there is hardly any weight on your back