How much is too much

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited April 2010 in The workshop
Most guides tell you to wipe off any excess lube. But I'm always worried to do this in case I wipe off too much.

So how much lube is excess.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    suzyb wrote:
    Most guides tell you to wipe off any excess lube. But I'm always worried to do this in case I wipe off too much.

well it does depend on what you are Lubing :shock: :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • suzyb
    lol I just noticed I didn't mention it.

The chain.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no need to worry much after lubing i just run the chain through a rag to collect any excess that would drop off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    suzyb wrote:

Lubricants are supposed to be in between things to reduce friction.

If you can wipe it off, it wasn't where you wanted it anyway; so you can't really wipe off too much.

Cheers,
    W.
  • suzyb wrote:
    If you can wipe it off, it wasn't where you wanted it anyway; so you can't really wipe off too much.

Cheers,
    W.

+1 Chains need oil in the bushings and the rollers, any oil on the outer pates won't do anything. Don't worry about wiping too much off. If there is any excess on the outside, it'll just pick up dust and grit more quickly.
  • suzyb
    +1 Chains need oil in the bushings and the rollers, any oil on the outer pates won't do anything. Don't worry about wiping too much off. If there is any excess on the outside, it'll just pick up dust and grit more quickly.
    That's the mistake I've been making. I've had too much lube on the outside so the chain has been getting really dirty.

I'll know the next time, thanks all.