Terrible wind problem

mcj78
mcj78 Posts: 634
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone else suffer from this?

The last 2 weeks my commute has been plagued by headwinds no-matter which direction i'm heading, my commute involves a 6-7 mile strectch of a long, straight main road which seems to have a strange omnidirectional wind problem. In the morning I get it from the east when i'm heading east & by the time i'm heading home at night in a westerly direction it comes at you from the west - usually stronger as well, at some points i've been reduced to walking pace by it, it's driving me mental! :x Someone must have a similar experience, or is it just me?

J
Moda Issimo
Genesis Volare 853
Charge Filter Apex

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited April 2010
    mcj78 wrote:

The last 2 weeks my commute has been plagued by headwinds no-matter which direction i'm heading, my commute involves a 6-7 mile strectch of a long, straight main road which seems to have a strange omnidirectional wind problem. In the morning I get it from the east when i'm heading east & by the time i'm heading home at night in a westerly direction it comes at you from the west - usually stronger as well, at some points i've been reduced to walking pace by it, it's driving me mental! :x Someone must have a similar experience, or is it just me?

J

You are not alone. For the most part everyone who lives south west of London and commute in shares your pain.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    +1
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Yup - heading North in the morning is a killer - offshore north easterleys.....then get stung with onshore south westerleys on the way home....

Occasionally get a break, but not often!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Britain is the windiest country in Europe.

Scotland is the windiest part of Britain.

At least I don't live in the Western Isles.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Asprilla wrote:
    mcj78 wrote:

J

You are not alone. For the most part everyone who lives south west of London and commute in shares your pain.

This!

Although its been quite good recently. Thank the lord for drop bars..
  • mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    I almost gave up today the head wind was so strong on the way to work

Normally takes me about an hour and 5 min to get to work

today it took .......... 1hour 23minutes !

Was not a happy bunny when I eventually got to work
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Wind = resistance training = good for you = pray for more wind
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I thought was going to be a medical thread about the effects of post bike ride curries.

.....IGMC
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    You should probably see a doctor about it, rather than asking us lot ;)
  • mcj78
    Heh, glad it's not just me then - the commute in question follows a long straight, open main rd on the south side of Glasgow, not too far from the river - could this be a contributing factor? I'm not sure if there's any tidal influence on the river per-say, but do tides have any bearing on wind direction at all?

Was talking to an African guy on an old mtb at a set of lights last week & the look of total despair on his face was priceless, think he may have thrown his bike over a hedge & walked it after another mile or so - that day I was struggling to maintain walking pace whilst tucked up into a ball on the drops & wobbling all over the place due to frequent random side-gusts that almost send you under a bus, great fun!

Looking forward to my way home tonight safe in the knowledge there's someone, somewhere, facing an eye watering headwind that almost forces you to an complete halt!

J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited April 2010
    Gussio wrote:

Wind can be good, but does it have to be all the time?

The last mile or so of my commute passes between high sided reservoirs and the massize earth walls (see how I resisted saying 'big dykes') act like a wind funnel.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mcj78
    Ha - the gut wrenching, eye watering, plant-wilting farts i've learned to deal with - side effect of a high protein diet I suppose... :oops:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Same issue here (with both types of wind :lol:).

The Old Kent Road seems to have one setting in both directions - in your face. Mercifully, it's only a couple of miles long.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Sounds to me that you have all upset the Gods somehow :twisted:
    Naughty people. :P
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I plan my ride around the wind. I generally do a loop starting from my house. I take the outbound leg on the more exposed road with the wind behind me and then try to come back on roads which go through forrestry or have long downhill sections into the wind. Seems to help :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

Wind can be good, but does it have to be all the time?

The last mile or so of my commute passes between high sided reservoirs and the massize earth walls (see how I resisted saying 'big dykes') act like a wind funnel.

I prefer a tailwind on the way home. My legs aren't good in the morning, so a tailwind's wasted on me.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I am surprised people are typing and kind of coherent answers to this post...

My recommendation is to MTFU :twisted:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Anyone going home tonight into that wind... Good Luck.

I've had to come home early and cycled over 10 miles into that utter, utter b*tch of a headwind.

Took me over 50 minutes to cover the 10.5 miles. There were points I was practically at a standstill and I was having to push downhill to maintain double figures at one point.

I really am not exaggerating.. normal sections where I would be cruising in 6/7 gear at somewhere between 21-25 mph I was struggling to hold 11mph in 3rd

Oh, God. That was evil.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ketsbaia wrote:

The Old Kent Road seems to have one setting in both directions - in your face. Mercifully, it's only a couple of miles long.
    That has been my experience for the last 3 weeks in particular. Each day, after struggling in, I have been anticipating the tailwind back through SE London in the evening. But it never appears :evil: . It has got to the point where I point out the direction of the flags to my colleagues in the morning then just before I leave, accompanied by a minor rant about headwinds. They think I am nuts, wihch is probably not an unfair assumption from their perspective.

Currently the flag over parliament is indicating a (decently strong) tailwind going SE on the OKR. Let's hope it holds for once :roll:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gabriel959 wrote:

Says the man who lives in a place where a sleeping policeman shows up on an OS map it's so flat round there :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I found that the last few weeks were quite predictable; headwind in the morning and tailwind in the evening.

But this morning was one of those days when you scowl at the riders going the opposite direction to you thinking 'well at least you have got a tailwind' but the thing is they are giving you exactly the same scowl back!
    FCN = 4
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    cjcp wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

Says the man who lives in a place where a sleeping policeman shows up on an OS map it's so flat round there :twisted:

true :lol:

but its blooming windy around the Fens, its wind we are talking here not hills ... 8)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    It's not just Southwest London - I've been getting this in the Southeast especially any bit alongside the thames. Yesterday's struggle on the thames path from Greenwich to Erith was outrageous. My legs have gone to jelly already and it's only Tuesday!! :evil:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    mcj78 wrote:
    Heh, glad it's not just me then - the commute in question follows a long straight, open main rd on the south side of Glasgow, not too far from the river - could this be a contributing factor? I'm not sure if there's any tidal influence on the river per-say, but do tides have any bearing on wind direction at all?
    J

Going East or West? I go from North West to city centre, and Maryhill Road was a tad windy today. Hopefully be behind me on way home, but that is never the case.....

Ah well, its all good fun. :P
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mcj78 wrote:

J

No mate, it's not just you. I feel your pain, hate headwinds. In fact, if I see a forecast of more than 20mph eastern winds, I take the train. At least I get to listen to my iPod....

(no, I don't cycle "plugged in").
  • mcj78
    mcj78 wrote:
    J

Going East or West? I go from North West to city centre, and Maryhill Road was a tad windy today. Hopefully be behind me on way home, but that is never the case.....

Ah well, its all good fun. :P

I go from Paisley to the West End of Glasgow so i'd be heading east in the morning, then west on the way back - the wind's usually always worse on the way back, don't think i've ever had a noticeable tailwind :(

I'll take gabriel959's advice & MTFU anyway - last night a guy on a nice carbon scott sailed past without a care in the world & bid me good evening - he was a mere spot on the horizon after a minute or two - he did have shaved legs though, even in 3/4 length tights the exposed fur on me must increase drag quite a bit... aye, that's it - i'll shave myself completely bald & persevere!
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I went to the Doctors and said, "I've got terrible wind, Doctor. What can you give me for it."

He gave me a kite...
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    ketsbaia wrote:

That has been my experience for the last 3 weeks in particular. Each day, after struggling in, I have been anticipating the tailwind back through SE London in the evening. But it never appears :evil: . It has got to the point where I point out the direction of the flags to my colleagues in the morning then just before I leave, accompanied by a minor rant about headwinds. They think I am nuts, wihch is probably not an unfair assumption from their perspective.

Currently the flag over parliament is indicating a (decently strong) tailwind going SE on the OKR. Let's hope it holds for once :roll:

That.

And you know it won't hold this evening. You just know it.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    (no, I don't cycle "plugged in").

just as well, the music you listen to :wink: