chain rant

Rob4
Rob4 Posts: 75
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Broke my chain going through Wimbledon Common this morning, got the chain tool out on the Alien and started the finicky business of replacing the link. Done it before so apart from the hassle, not a big problem, Anyway, as I was doing it a good 100 women with spaniels walked past without a word, a good 50 cyclists rode past without a word, finally one cyclist stopped and asked in an Ozzie accent if I had the right kit and needed any help. Thanks mate! Tonight I toast that man with Fosters!

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    You must have looked like you knew what you were doing, so help not required :D

What kind of assistance were you expecting from the spaniels...?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Gussio wrote:

Good lord, man! If you've never seen a spaniel completely rebuild a bicycle then you've never been on acid!

Springers, obviously. King Charles would be ridiculous.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Rob4 wrote:
    ....a good 100 women with spaniels walked past without a word.......!

That explains it. You'd have had better luck with bad women and spaniels can't handle chain splitters - they don't have opposable thumbs...........

Bob
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    beverick wrote:
    Rob4 wrote:

That explains it. You'd have had better luck with bad women and spaniels can't handle chain splitters - they don't have opposable thumbs...........

Bob

Well - if they were adjustable spaniels they might have been able to help.... otherwise you'd have to hope they were metric spaniels and not imperial ones. Then they wouldn't work.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I always carry a power link now
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    beverick wrote:
    Rob4 wrote:

Bob

Well - if they were adjustable spaniels they might have been able to help.... otherwise you'd have to hope they were metric spaniels and not imperial ones. Then they wouldn't work.

Though someone walking by with several dogs might have been able to lend you a chain whippet
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425

Rofpmsl! Awesome!
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Rob4 wrote:

Well if you were that rude about their breasts I'm not surprised they didn't stop.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    davis wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

Good lord, man! If you've never seen a spaniel completely rebuild a bicycle then you've never been on acid!

Springers, obviously. King Charles would be ridiculous.

:lol::lol: where's the little smash alien icon when you need it?
  • SpaceBadger
    SpaceBadger Posts: 113
    Maybe it was the same woman walking past 100 times to check out your buns of steel while you worked? :D

PS I'm a burd and would certainly consider this a worthwhile activity if the buns warranted it :)
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    fenboy369 wrote:

Rofpmsl! Awesome!

You may need to be concerned that you like my humour.

I would recommend electro-therapy.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • snellgrove
    snellgrove Posts: 171

You may need to be concerned that you like my humour.

Damnit, that made me smile a bit and almost chuckle :(

How often do chains break?! Is it likely if you look after them, and replace regularly?