Flat pedals are dangerous!

toybhoy
toybhoy Posts: 112
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Went out for a wee spin on my new cross bike last night and came home with lots of blood dripping down my left leg!

Didn't even realise but it appears that my foot slipped off the flat pedals and the jaggy edges of the metal pedals must have stabbed the back of my calves when it spun out.

Awesome!

I think its time to move onto SPD's I reckon! :D

Comments

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    If you do want to realise you have done it, scrape them down your shins instead!

Not good! :twisted:
  • If you do want to realise you have done it, scrape them down your shins instead!

Not good! :twisted:

I still have scars on my shins from the pedals of my BMX when I was a kid. :cry:
  • kev_gray
    kev_gray Posts: 44
    haha I know the feeling! Just changed to SPD's a few weeks ago and the last of the cuts are finally starting to heal! Just need to wait on the one on my knee from my first clipless moment to heal now!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I managed to have my foot slip off the front of my pedal and hit the floor. The bike came to a crashing stop with the pedal embedded in my calf

It looked EXACTLY like I had been bitten by some huge rabid wild animal 8)

Of course, I played it down and told the true story to anyone that listened.

ish
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    your feet don't come off decent flat pedals with decent shoes.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017

what do you do when you stop ? :wink:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634

what do you do when you stop ? :wink:

Trackstand indefinitely 8)

I use shimano dx flats with the longer pins & they're great for grip but bad for shins if you do come off, the shorter pins were more kind to shins but were also responsible for my 1st and only "superman" when both my feet slipped off the pedals upon leaving the lip of a small jump, I landed with my chest on the saddle and my legs still flailing behind me & came to a halt in a small hedge, wish it'd been on camera - I saw thew funny side once I could breathe again... :roll:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i have seen some great SPD cuts...
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Toe-clips.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    ride a road bike with proper pedals and jobs done!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I've suffered far more from comedy falls in SPD's than while using flats. :lol:

Good pedals and shoes are they key.

I use SPD for road and Flats for off-road.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    5/10's and DMR V-12's are a recommended combo but I prefer SPuD's for commuting
    FCN = 4
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    5/10's and DMR V-12's are a recommended combo but I prefer SPuD's for commuting

+1 to that, exactly what I use on the MTB. Just don't try the terror pins, they make an awful mess of your calf :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Problem with 'good' flats is that they're even spikier than bad flats!

I don't think I've ever suffered an injury from my foot slipping off the pedal, but many a time when just setting off or pushing/lifting the bike.

Ouch.
  • toybhoy
    toybhoy Posts: 112
    Well I've learnt my lesson and have now put up an advert for new pedals! :D

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12695959

Scared the 'ell out of me last night seeing my legs covered in blood! Should have taken a picture. Was pretty spectacular! :D
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    +1 to that LiT, the gripper the pedal the more vicious it's likely to be. SPD's are the way to go for road and CX bikes, flats are just wrong on anything other than BMX's and some MTB's.

Don't worry about the scars, they'll give you a tale to tell. My legs are a patchwork of scars, and the tales get longer as the years pass and the scars get fainter :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I bought some spd`s after xmas for my Boardman hybrid but they scare the life out of me so I`m back on to the flats again. Might go back to them but didn`t really see any difference in performance, I`m always gonna be crap!!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    toybhoy wrote:
    Went out for a wee spin on my new cross bike last night and came home with lots of blood dripping down my left leg! ....

Hmm- if this is what happens when it's cross, what's in store when it's really angry?

Cheers,
    W.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    toybhoy wrote:
    Went out for a wee spin on my new cross bike last night and came home with lots of blood dripping down my left leg!

Didn't even realise but it appears that my foot slipped off the flat pedals and the jaggy edges of the metal pedals must have stabbed the back of my calves when it spun out.

Awesome!

I think its time to move onto SPD's I reckon! :D

I once skipped off flats in the wet wet and hit my ankle bone, I had to pull over the pain was so much, was limping for a week :)

spds all the way now :)
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    As said get decent flats, and no knee/pedal moments.

And as also been said only really look okay on MTB's etc
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Have to love people blaming their failure on their equipment.

You lack skill, I used to hit my shins all the time when learning, I haven't hit my shins/calves in years.

I ride thin flats and 5.10 shoes.

Learn how to use the pedals before you jump to SPDs.

Make sure you have a good set of flat pedals (superstar ones are fantastic) and a pair of 5.10 shoes (basic are best for XC).

You will never slide off a pedal again.

I went to SPDs realised they took away more than they added and went back a bought a decent pair of flats and shoes,
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?