Back in the saddle and so happy!

DaveHudson
DaveHudson Posts: 290
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Earlier this year I decided it was time to rid myself of some weight and save a few quid by commuting to work by bike, Loved every minute of it even though it's only 15 miles a day in total.

All was going so well till I had an off 6 weeks or so ago and broke my wrist, I feared it would be a period of time off the bike that would be tricky to get the motivation to get back in to the swing of things.

Well the cast came off friday, spent the rest of the day tinkering with the bike and fitting the parts I had been collecting. Saturday morning I tentatively set off for work pooping my shorts that the wrist wouldn't hold out. No problems at all and the fitness levels hadn't dropped as much as I feared. Was buzzing all day waiting to ride home.

Now if my doctors happen to read this forum, I've been very careful and not put it at risk....... Honest! :lol:

I've booked myself in for a 28 mile charity ride in two and a half weeks, time to knuckle down and try to get fitter. I'm planning on extending my route home to up the duration of the rides.

So if anyone sees a little fat wheezy thing travelling between Tiptree and Witham, try not to point and laugh.

Loving it, Just such a pleasure to get out there again. Not an exciting thread but I thought I'd share it with you. :oops:

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,185
    'Only 15 miles a day' - that's not a bad commute distance if you're doing it every day. Must be a relief to get back riding, I was bricking it when I strained a tendon in my wrist as I didn't know how long I would be out of action !
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DaveHudson
    No it's not too bad but not that demanding either, It's not that much longer by bike than car tbh. Takes about 25-30 mins by car as Kelvedon is a total bottleneck and the A12 is shocking!

It's taking me about 40 minutes on two wheels at a steady pace on my Claud butler Cape wrath d24 (well the frame the only stock part now!) so not too slow but I guess a road bike would be a lot faster.
  • DaveHudson
    Worked 6 out of 7 days last week (I work on a rota basis so some weeks I may only be in 3 days :D) and cycled every one, Times getting to work dropped to 36.22 and 40.37 getting home as it's more uphill on the way home.

I have a Sigma PC-15 hrm and that's suggesting I have been burning approx 1100 Kcal per day by cycling. Hopefully the belly and man boobs will shift before Newquay in july.

Legs feel heavy today but I feel chuffed I managed it. 90 miles in 7 days after a 6 week break. Happy days 8)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Great stuff! I have to say I think I'd find it much harder if I was doing variable weeks. Good on you.

I like cycling around that way - I live near Halstead - but the jam factory at Tiptree is such a disappointment!
  • DaveHudson
    How rude! You can say what you want about me but to talk badly about our prized jam factory is a different matter :lol:

Thanks tho, I'm going to pop out later and do a short route to layer marney towers to keep the legs active. Got two weeks till I have a 28 mile ride :( Going to struggle I think
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    DaveHudson wrote:
    How rude! You can say what you want about me but to talk badly about our prized jam factory is a different matter :lol:

Thanks tho, I'm going to pop out later and do a short route to layer marney towers to keep the legs active. Got two weeks till I have a 28 mile ride :( Going to struggle I think

You'll be fine - you're doing over half that every day!

And I just thought the jam factory would be more olde worlde. It's very industrial-looking. :D
  • DaveHudson
    Just shy of a month since I posted this thread so I thought I'd update it.

Riding has gone really well, Only used the car for work once in that time and that was a miserable sunday morning.

We had a photo call at Colchester uniteds ground for the tct charity ride, so I decided that would be the test to see if I was up to doing 30 miles in a day. I'm glad to say I did it and felt ok when I got home. There was a couple of hours break when I got to the ground so it's not like I done 30 miles solid riding.

We rode the charity ride last saturday and I found it pretty easy, Showed up my shortfall of hill climbing but it's good to have something to focus on for now. We have raised £1400 for the teenage cancer trust so it was well worth the effort.

Times for the daily commute have dropped nicely, Best to work was 30.31 and home 32.56. I'm finding my day to day times are a load more consistant too.

Oh and I have lost about half a stone so I'm chuffed.
  • DaveHudson
    Thanks. :D

Not an exciting thread I know, But to hell with it.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    DaveHudson wrote:
    Just shy of a month since I posted this thread so I thought I'd update it.

Riding has gone really well, Only used the car for work once in that time and that was a miserable sunday morning.

We had a photo call at Colchester uniteds ground for the tct charity ride, so I decided that would be the test to see if I was up to doing 30 miles in a day. I'm glad to say I did it and felt ok when I got home. There was a couple of hours break when I got to the ground so it's not like I done 30 miles solid riding.

We rode the charity ride last saturday and I found it pretty easy, Showed up my shortfall of hill climbing but it's good to have something to focus on for now. We have raised £1400 for the teenage cancer trust so it was well worth the effort.

Times for the daily commute have dropped nicely, Best to work was 30.31 and home 32.56. I'm finding my day to day times are a load more consistant too.

Oh and I have lost about half a stone so I'm chuffed.

Go for the sub 1hr return trip! I too do 15 a day, and am knocking on the door of 55 mins for the return trip.

Good on you!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • DaveHudson
    Is that a challenge! I accept and I will keep you informed. Won't be done tomorrow as I'll be taking my work clothes in so will be over "race weight" :lol:

Sunday sounds like a good day to try it.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    good work, you'll soon be racing yourself on certain days when you're feeling tiptop

Keep it up
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DaveHudson
    :( Tried to set a good time today and failed.

The ride in was going well until I got to the side of the A12, about 5 miles in, & the tunnel of wind that barrels down that section stalled me. 34 minutes (but with my backpack with work stuff in approx 3.5kg)

Ride home was a good run, Felt really good and some nice pace on most of the ride, Ran out of steam on the hill coming into my village and did a 32 min run. Got stuck in Kelvedon (total bottleneck of a village) behind a woman that thought her megane cabriolet was the size of a cheiftain tank. You could have got two cars side by side through those gaps, I nearlyhit the back bumper when she slammed on the brakes :lol:

Still one of the best combined times I have done on one day, Normally I seem to get a good morning time or a good evening time but rarely good times for both.

Average heart rate was higher than usual too so I was trying, Just the world against me I guess.
  • DaveHudson
    I worked out how many mles I have done in the last month and it's approx 400! :lol:

Not bad at all.
  • DaveHudson
    Another little update, I have used the car twice since my cast came off. This means I'm selling the daily driver and keeping the BMW as a weekend toy. Got to try not to spend the money from selling the golf on bike stuff or on the lads weekend in Newquay :lol:

I have also made a big step (well it is to me) into the world of clipless pedals, Had my first ride yesterday and no issues. SH56 multi release cleats and low tension on the pedals to start with, like stabilisers for SPD users imo.

Still loving every minute of it, had a 28.56 run into work one day, 32odd on the way home :D Time to extend the route I think.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Good work fella
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DaveHudson
    I'm now officially awesome at riding and shall be entering the tour next year.

Well I'm still plodding along nicely, Got my best to work time down to 25 minutes and home in 29. I'm suffering with empty legs a lot these days so am tempted to see someone who can guide me in what to eat.

I am still really enjoying it, the weight is still coming off nicely. now lost 16lb so am at 178lb. I'm going to try to lose another 3lb in the next 9 days before the holiday.

As a little treat I tapped up Claud butler today for a healthy discount on a road bike. They are a good company like that and really like the stores staff using their bikes.

Should get this in the next couple of days, then the upgrades start again :D
    http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/Corporate/CB/Milano.shtml

I'll pop some pictures of both bikes together when I get the new one, The cape wrath is quite nicely specced now but without spending huge £££ I won't drop the weight loads so I thought the money was better spent on a road bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nice one, enjoy, first day back in the saddle for me today after my 'blood doantion' off on Monday, feeling great but using the thumb lever on the rght was a bit much for the wrenched thumb!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.