how effective are leg warmers for cold mornings?

bumpitybump
bumpitybump Posts: 76
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm thinking of buying some leg warmers and wondered if anyone else who was commuting used them as a way of managing the big difference in temperatures between the cycle into work in the morning and the evening run home?

What I'm thinking of trying is for the morning ride into work wearing thin DHB earnley bib shorts plus the leg warmers and in the evenings just using the bib shorts.

Currently I'm wearing full length wind stopper bib tights which are perfect for the morning run in for me when the air temperature has typically been between 3 and 7 degrees C but in the evenings I've been beginning to over-heat coming home.

I've tried adding / removing top half layers - I've been cycling home tonight in just a thin short sleeved jersey but still end up a bit hot.

The obvious alternative is to ride into work in the wind stopper bib tights and shove the earnley bib shorts in the bag ready to wear on the evening return home but I thought the leg warmers may offer more flexibility.

Anyone got an view on this idea?
exercise.png
FCN = 8

Comments

• rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Makes perfect sense.

What's really good about leg/arm wamers in changeable weather is that you can even just whip 'em off mid ride and stuff them in a jersey pocket if you feel the need.

On the down side the elastic can chaf sometimes
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    Yep, work well when you need something in the morning to keep you warm but can easily be chucked in the back pack for the ride home. Mind you, it's now too warm for leg warmers in the mornings in the subtropical south East - shorts weather for the next 5 months 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Have rode like this for all winter with Altura baggies and Adidas knee warmers, now I've discarded the knee warmers thought felt like I needed them on thursday.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    +1 for leg warmers. Don't try them on without shorts though, it's just weird.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    +1 again. Tho, I ride in for my late shifts and use them for the ride home....
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    +1. I am using Decente ones that I got off Wiggle last year at half price.
  • MickyA
    MickyA Posts: 4
    I got some a couple of weeks ago for exactly the same reasons as you say, work a treat.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have some lusso knee warmers, have done the trick for me in the past
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've got some adidas ones that I picked up for nothing and some Nike ones and they are as good, if not better than long trousers. The nike ones tend to slip a bit and the adidas ones do leave some angry red marks on my thighs when worn for long (2hr+) periods of time, but generally they do the job great and are less to carry round. Team them with arm warmers and you are kitted out for most eventualities.
  • I use knee and arm warmers for commuting and Mountain biking.

My blue peter tip for a free pair of arm warmers is cut the toe off an old pair of socks, instant arm warmers :)

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • essex-commuter
    A club mate of mine turned up at a TT last year with just one arm warmer by mistake. No problem though...he just cut the warmer in half and wore 2 wrist warmers! Guess you had to be there really :roll:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    +1 for warmers.

Most of the year I get away with warmers rather than full bibtights. For the morning commute I'm currently using knee-warmers but leaving them in the bag for the way home.

This morning, though, I was beguiled by the sun and didn't bother with covering my knees. Retrospectively, I wish I had.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Knee warmers - new this winter and they are great at the mo.
    Leg warmers - perfect for the chilly mornings when a little too cold for knee warmers.
    Pack 'em in a pocket when it's too warm.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    +1 with leg warmers.
    And arm warmers too...
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • essex-commuter
    And a Rapha willy warmer.
  • I saw a bloke (yes, an actual bloke) wearing a pair of these t'other day:

neon-stirrup-legwarmers.jpg

May I suggest you don't get some like those. Hi-viz is all very well, but please people, have some standards.
  • thanks for all the replies - sounds like these are worth trying out!

essex-commuter Not seen a "rapha willy warmer" on wiggle but will take a look !

undercoverElephant - wow what colours!
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    im still in earnley big tights both ways and a softshell jacket with all the vents open. Close the vents if it gets too cold. No base layer. Averaging 18 mph on my 20m round trip. And no sweat except a little on my back
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,414
    wyadvd, you are clearly adjusted for a different climate than me. Even in the depths of winter, when bits of me have gone entirely numb, I can still get pretty warm. If only I could convert that heat into forward motion.

On a related point: leg warmers inside shorts or outside? Outside is easier to adjust/remove when they get too warm, but I find that under shorts, they slip down less.

Oh, and leg warmers without shorts do indeed look very wrong.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    lol....came out of my merstons about a fortnight ago !! ...and my softshell doesnt seem much warmer than a fairly standard ls jersey really. The vents scoop up the passing air and funnel it over my bare back quite nicely....
  • snellgrove
    snellgrove Posts: 171
    I haven't got leg warmers, but I do own some knee warmers; Castelli nano or something, thermoflex fabric (aka that roubaix stuff; lycra on the outside, fleece lined).

I find they are effective enough, but of course you wear them with shorts.

I only have summer shorts (can you get winter shorts?!) So I end up moving into my winter tights long before the knee warmers aren't warm enough. My shorts obviously aren't fleece lined, so when it's properly cold, I certainly feel the cold where it's just my shorts on top of skin. My knees and surrounding areas are fine.

My 0.02
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

essex-commuter Not seen a "rapha willy warmer" on wiggle but will take a look !

I found an arm warmer works very well :lol::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • essex-commuter
    rjsterry wrote:
    On a related point: leg warmers inside shorts or outside?

Outside is easier but I find they pull my shorts down as I ride, so it's inside for me.
  • Man, those leg warmers came in handy this morning! Brrrrrr...!

I was wearing my summer shorts on Sunday FFS, and 3 days later, thermal leg warmers! Lovely sunshine, though.... :)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    snellgrove wrote:
    I haven't got leg warmers, but I do own some knee warmers; Castelli nano or something, thermoflex fabric (aka that roubaix stuff; lycra on the outside, fleece lined).

I find they are effective enough, but of course you wear them with shorts.

I only have summer shorts (can you get winter shorts?!) So I end up moving into my winter tights long before the knee warmers aren't warm enough. My shorts obviously aren't fleece lined, so when it's properly cold, I certainly feel the cold where it's just my shorts on top of skin. My knees and surrounding areas are fine.

My 0.02
    Some manufacturers do 'winter' shorts. E.g http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... =5&ID=2076 or http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Caste ... 360048569/

I now have an embarrassment* of bibshorts so can choose ones with thicker fabric on colder days.

* I think this should be the collective noun for them
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    In bib 3/4s, so not necessary; still not quite in mitts for the morning though.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I've bought 2 pair of leg warmers and 1 pair of knee warmers.

To be honest, physically I don't find there is a great difference , but having said that, last night I wore my knee warmers and when I got home my knees were covered in sweat ... so obviously they are doing something :roll:

My reason for buying these warmers is due to getting sore knees, (and also a stabbing pin feeling), but the jury is out at the moment.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Man, those leg warmers came in handy this morning! Brrrrrr...!

I was wearing my summer shorts on Sunday FFS, and 3 days later, thermal leg warmers! Lovely sunshine, though.... :)

yes fantastic riding in this morning in the sunshine but cold. Even on the way home a little fresh in the shade but still great cycling weather.

Decided I will get the leg warmers as so many people have recommended them but couldn't see them working today with DHB Earnley lycra shorts - well at least for me although I know wyadvd on this post is happy riding in them in these temperatures, I'm not as hardy as that! Popped into LBS on way home and got some slightly thicker shorts with a thermal material and will get some leg warmers later.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8