another lapierre zesty bites the dust.

richg1979
richg1979 Posts: 1,087
edited June 2010 in MTB general
mates 4 week old 8 hours ride time 514 has bit the dust, snapped at rear chainstay.

i told him not to do anything to rough on it as they have a bit of a bad name for breaking, no jumps, no dh, drops higher than a kerb, only done xc and a red grade trail center so nothing a £2700 trail bike should sniff at.

bit of debate on here last week about there being no probs with these frames.

what are the chances of getting a refund? obviously the bike is not fit for purpose and only fit for the bin.

Comments

• refund... dunno, might as well try seeing as though its only 4 weeks old. Nothing worse than having no confidence in the frame that you're riding!

replacement... definately!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Mon dieu! Wot eez goeeen on?

Do you Eeeengleeeesh not know ow to verk zis bikes?

You are giveeeeen us French and wery bard name, is eeeet not?

Cum on Johneeeeey Ennnnglish, sort it!

OOH LA LA!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No chance, unless they have a money back guarantee that lasts a month.

Otherwise they will replace the frame.
  • richg1979
    hes not a happy bunny, he now hates this bike, i think if they fefuse a refund he will go to france and burn the garlic stinking, onion eating factory to the ground.
  • supersonic
    Hehe. You can ask, but after this length of time they will simply offer a repair or replacement, which is their right.

if it goes again though, you have a good case!
  • [quote="richg1979"
    no drops higher than a kerb,

[/quote]

What a load of Bolox. I can do kerbs on my focus cayo ffs.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • andy77
    andy77 Posts: 6
    I have no luck ive been trying to break my 09 514 for the last twelve months and it still wont break. Carnt say the same for the crap xt wheels that came with it though.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    technically you may not be entitled to a full refund but.....
    c'mon , £2.5K+ bike breaks in a couple of rides ?
    damn straight i'd be trying for full money back , no way i'd have confidence in a replacement frame anyway.
  • richg1979
    edited April 2010
    he wont be riding it again esp after its broke after riding little more than fire roads and flat single track, so i guess there will be a brand new 514 up on here for sale when he gets a replacement if he cant get a refund.

trading standards say that the rapair or replacement of damaged faulty goods should be honored in reasonable time, i think the current warranty replacment time is about 10-12 weeks from lapierre now this is not reasonable time.

i think when they tell him 10-12 weeks he will be coming out the shop with his £2700
  • supersonic
    No, that is not reasonable at all. In that case you have a good case for a refund.
  • biff55
    hope he gets every penny back pal
    french engineering = welding with bubblegum.
    remember the citreon 2CV dolly ?
    nuff said :lol:
  • richg1979
    not even wore the molding lines off the tyres and the brakes wore the machining marks off the discs.

supose it saves him taking the bike back for the faulty fox forks.

FxCam_1271703517784.jpg

citroen dolly? how about every french thing ever made.
  • supersonic
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I've been told that a few of them have gone there. It's a known fault. I'd rather have the 314 with the alloy back end.
  • biff55
    if that was your attempt at a " on a positve note ..." for this topic SS , it was p*ss poor.
    :lol:
  • richg1979
    i think mavic are an exception or there whole workforce is not french. think ill go sniff a new mavic rim see if it smells like sewerage n garlic.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont be rude to the French or they will get the US Army to come and kick your arrse
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Has the dream that was Lapierre died?
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    richg1979 wrote:
    hes not a happy bunny, he now hates this bike, i think if they fefuse a refund he will go to france and burn the garlic stinking, onion eating factory to the ground.

You might have to go to Taiwan and speak to the people who made the frame.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    What a load of Bolox. I can do kerbs on my focus cayo ffs.

Sick to the power of rad.

And what does your mate weigh, and what was he doing when it snapped?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bathtub curve failure rates... Loads of people say "Oh it broke on my 3rd ride, that's terrible" but if a part's going to break due to a flaw, chances are it'll do it early. If it doesn't break after 10 rides it's generally unlikely to break after a hundred rides. Then eventually you might get to the other side of the bathtub where stuff starts to wear out.

Shame though, it must be annoying but don't just assume the bike is going to break every 8 rides. Still, if they can't get a replacement to you in a reasonable time you should be able to reject it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • richg1979
    Has the dream that was Lapierre died?

he didnt know what bike he wanted, i sort of got him into it after he snapped his fuel ex9 in half, and wanted to go staright out and buy another bike that weekend.

I knew there were some problems with the 09s but thought there must have been somthing done by now. obviously not. so i do feel a bit shady as i sort of got him to buy the bike, think ill keep my mouth shut from now on :shock: .
  • RealMan
    richg1979 wrote:
    after he snapped his fuel ex9 in half, and wanted to go staright out and buy another bike that weekend.
    RealMan wrote:
    And what does your mate weigh, and what was he doing when it snapped?

:?
  • hmmm snapped 2 different frames..... thats interesting...
  • richg1979
    hes about 15.5 stone and never actually heard it brake, i noticed it as i was loading the bike back onto car rack.

like i siad nothing harsh at all, he is quite clumsy and injured himself quite badly on a jump so he steer's well clear of jumps and drop ect.
  • Doombrain
    Doombrain Posts: 360
    Is your friend Uri Geller?
    LOL road riding.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    nickfrog wrote:
    You might have to go to Taiwan and speak to the people who made the frame.

Wonder if they are the same people who made the 3 commencal frames I have sent back because of cracks
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • RealMan
    So your clumsy 15.5 stone mate who broke an aluminium frame decided to try his luck with a plastic frame instead?
  • richg1979
    erm yes, carbon is apperntly stronger than ally.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Just out of curiosity, did he pay by Credit Card? If so, has it got insurance automatically covering his purchase on it?

I always pay by Credit Card if I have to...unless it's ebay, then it PrayPal...sorry PayPal.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
This discussion has been closed.