Frankenbike

AndyOgy
AndyOgy Posts: 579
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
This frame had been kicking around the workshop at http://bikeforlife.org.uk/ for a while. So we decided to breath new life into it, using only parts that we had available.

I think you'll agree that the new company limo is a sight to behold:

15716_416219066806_546881806_5257643_8193936_n.jpg

It comes into it's own when racing downhill, err, on tarmac.

Can anybody hazzard a guess on it's FCN?

Comments

• Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Mmmm.....that's, uh, "special" ;-)

Is the top tube really held together with insulting tape ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • AndyOgy
    Mmmm.....that's, uh, "special" ;-)

Is the top tube really held together with insulting tape ?

We kind of wanted it to look that way. The tape, and padding is really there to protect the carbon fibre top tube from the inevitable slapping it will receive from the brake levers.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    AndyOgy wrote:
    [
    We kind of wanted it to look that way.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    what's the frame ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • AndyOgy
    what's the frame ?

It's an old GT Downhill frame. Not entirely sure of the model name, maybe someone on here could advise. Nicklouse or Supersonic??????
  • si. d
    si. d Posts: 52
    I believe it is a GT LTS (Long Travel System?). I thought the DH version was the Lobo though? I used to druel over that bike.
    FCN- 4 with Laser designator sights
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Looks like the perfect commuter - one thing - no-one's going nick that
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Looks like the perfect commuter - one thing - no-one's going nick that

I might :twisted:
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    What is stopping the chain from going very slack when the rear suspension contracts?
  • AndyOgy
    Zachariah wrote:
    What is stopping the chain from going very slack when the rear suspension contracts?

You can't really tell from the picture but it's on a SS setup. The rear mech is only there to tension the chain. However, when pushing down hard on the pedals, the rear end raises by about 3-4"
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    Some inventive engineering there but christ, that is pig scaringly ugly :shock:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    My god that is one fugly bike, gotta love that front wheel. Mind you the current GT FS bikes aren't lookers either

Is that a horst link on the rear stays? I didn't realise GT ever used that system.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    think its a gt sts
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    its def a GT DH bike... maybe a Lobo?

im actually quite jealouse! it looks like the kind of bike thats just a great laugh to hack around on.... like my "BMX26F" that i built, it was a single brake (rear) singlespeed (obviously!) BMX with tripple clamp forks (not real DH ones! just cheapo ones off a BSO, i also removed the top crown to "save weight!", they were more flexy than wet spageti!)

it was technicaly crap, but with virtually no brakes, and a super slack H/A and a big front wheel, and the saddle up on a comicaly long seatpost it was a right laugh!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I think it looks the business! If Mad Max rode bikes he'd ride that!
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • AndyOgy
    I seriously consider this to be a piece of art. Kind of like those disturbing paintings that you look at for hours because you keep noticing details that are just so wrong.

It is great fun to ride. It has well over 7" travel at the rear but only about 2" at the front. The slightest touch on the strangely powerful front brake makes you feel like you're gonna go over the bars.

Something else that you can't really see from the photo is the delightful suspension seatpost that came off of some old hybrid.

I'm seriously tempted to use it for an upcoming charity ride later this year.
  • AndyOgy wrote:
    I seriously consider this to be a piece of art. Kind of like those disturbing paintings that you look at for hours because you keep noticing details that are just so wrong.

It is great fun to ride. It has well over 7" travel at the rear but only about 2" at the front. The slightest touch on the strangely powerful front brake makes you feel like you're gonna go over the bars.

Something else that you can't really see from the photo is the delightful suspension seatpost that came off of some old hybrid.

I'm seriously tempted to use it for an upcoming charity ride later this year.

You could use it on the ride and then auction it for the charity....maybe someone will put it out of its misery.