Rickmansworth to Central London Commute Routes

Thomsonp811
Thomsonp811 Posts: 20
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hello all, I am about to start a new job in central london and want to commute. I have had a look at the map and would appreciate the views of people who have ridden them.

I am starting at Rickmansworth, WD3, and aiming for Westminster (no I am not an impoverished MP!).

The obvious routes are the A5, A41 or A4140. The first two seem unsuitable so the third is my best bet despite the winding route. I am a very confident cyclist and don't mind fast roads, I used to commute into Edinburgh along the A90.

Ta!

Paul

Comments

• HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    one option is Harrow Road A404 all the way to Westbourne Park then Bayswater and Hyde Park . . . . that's the way I'd go anyway . . .

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... ent+Square)&geocode=FSTyEwMdOtf4_yltlRWkB0J2SDFb-3dE8skhMw%3BFSQCEwMdWsT6_w%3B%3BFeHVEQMd-A3-_yHlTTQvEagkCg&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=12&via=1,2&sll=51.551886,-0.306244&sspn=0.107807,0.205994&ie=UTF8&ll=51.70831,-0.026093&spn=0.429742,1.347198&z=10
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Ooh - how timely. I was just trying to get my head round cycling from London to Rickmansworth on Wednesday morning. I have to accompany a woman from Natural England undertaking a survey of badger activity on my company's property.
  • HamishD wrote:
    one option is Harrow Road A404 all the way to Westbourne Park then Bayswater and Hyde Park . . . . that's the way I'd go anyway . . .

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... ent+Square)&geocode=FSTyEwMdOtf4_yltlRWkB0J2SDFb-3dE8skhMw%3BFSQCEwMdWsT6_w%3B%3BFeHVEQMd-A3-_yHlTTQvEagkCg&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=12&via=1,2&sll=51.551886,-0.306244&sspn=0.107807,0.205994&ie=UTF8&ll=51.70831,-0.026093&spn=0.429742,1.347198&z=10

You can cut through Pinner and South Harrow from that map to make it a shorter distance.

Also, I would cycle through Moor Park rather than hit the 12% Batchworth Hill at the beginning of the ride. Will add a little bit of distance but will save the legs(and a lot less fast moving impatient traffic).
  • Thanks HamishD, looks good.

I tried cutting through Pinner and S Harrow but it looks like it will save less than half a mile which probably isn't worth it on balance.

Hopefully I will find the time to recce the route at the weekend.
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    i do ricky to central london (victoria), i go up batchworth (it's quite steep but only for the first part and it serves to wake you up, the traffic is fine as it's a wide lane) then follow the a404 all the way to after the north circular, where you can do a nice traffic free diversion along a marked cycle route which takes you to after harlesden (which is v bad for traffic), then all the way down to the westway, edgware road, hyde park on the bike lane, down constitution hill, boom, at work

also done it the A4020 way through uxbridge but it's way too boring, the A404 has the advantage of some varied scenery, a few parks to cross, and not too much traffic. in the evenings it's nice coming back as once you're past Mount Vernon it's quite rural-ish, and fun going down batchworth.

on the map you'd be better off going past harrow on the hill station, bit quicker than down the A312.

what sort of time do you lot go in, never seen many cyclists going my way
  • Thanks for that, I will try it out at the weekend if I ge tthe chance.

How long does it take you to get in? My current commute is only five miles from Bristol city centre to Filton - it is all uphill though! I am planning on leaving about half six to be in for eight but only doing it once or twice a week.

I can't see the cycle route after the North Circular - where does it start? Where do you pop out on the Westway?

Oh, what are your thoughts on doing it on my single speed as opposed to road bike - is that just too mental?

TVM
  • Tostaryman
    Tostaryman Posts: 89
    edited April 2010
    There is an alternative way into central London if you have the right bike, and that's riding down past Harrow to join the Grand Union canal at Northolt which takes you all the way to Paddington. That's the route I recced just the other week from Croxley and will be doing it once or twice a week from now on. I've converted my old hardtail to rigid forks and semi slicks, which seemed perfect.

Seems like a great way to beat loads of traffic to me!
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    well, i leave the house at around 7.10 am or so, and get to work at around 8.40. Bear in mind I come in from Maple Cross, which is about a mile further away from rickmansworth. I'm a fairly quick cyclist, and I stop at traffic lights. so around 1 hr 30 to 1hr 40 is usual time for me, it's a bit faster in morning than evening as there's less climbing to be done.

for the cycle route after north circular, carry on along the main road and about 200 yards there is what appears to be a ridiculous cycle lane about 5 five long in the middle of the road, it indicates off to the right, showing the way around the houses and the playing fields.

you never go out onto the westway thank goodness, the a404 goes along it for its final hurrah without joining onto it, and then you turn right at the traffic lights onto the edgware road. Simples!

have attached a map which shows approximately where cycle route is, i'm afraid it's not quite accurate as the map doesn't 'know' there is a route round the field which is just in grey, but it starts at approx where first avenue is, then follow the blue route, apologies for muddled directions. it avoids a very trafficky and often roadworky section,

as to SSer/road bike, personally i do it on a road bike, but i'm not a SS rider so have no experience to draw on. the only steep hill is batchworth which starts at 12% and flattens out a bit, dragging on for c. half a mile, i tend to do the bottom bit on a 39 x 25.

let me know how the test route goes, it beats the tube any day
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    why not leave the Harrow Road at Royal Oak and work through to Hyde Park there. Beats the Edgeware Road anyday
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    dandrew wrote:
    why not leave the Harrow Road at Royal Oak and work through to Hyde Park there. Beats the Edgeware Road anyday

Deffo.

Also, would only recommend the canal for non-serious biking types. It's chock full of pedestrians and unpredictable cyclists. Would rather chance my arm with the HGVs . . .
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    Hello all, I am about to start a new job in central london and want to commute. I have had a look at the map and would appreciate the views of people who have ridden them.

I am starting at Rickmansworth, WD3, and aiming for Westminster (no I am not an impoverished MP!).

The obvious routes are the A5, A41 or A4140. The first two seem unsuitable so the third is my best bet despite the winding route. I am a very confident cyclist and don't mind fast roads, I used to commute into Edinburgh along the A90.

Ta!

Paul

I go from Ruislip to London Bridge and pass through Westminster on my way. Over the last year or so I have tried a rew routes and this one seems quite good.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/londo ... 5721373044

The roads through Greenford are so bumpy its like riding on cobbles but other than that its a good route with plenty of opportunity to get a decent workout once you are clear of the city.

You could carry on from Ruislip over Ducks Hill and down Batchworth Hill and you'd be home.
  • HamishD wrote:
    Also, would only recommend the canal for non-serious biking types. It's chock full of pedestrians and unpredictable cyclists. Would rather chance my arm with the HGVs . . .

Cheers Hamish - that gave me the biggest laugh I've had all week! Brilliant
  • OK guys, I had a bit of time on Friday so I tried out the first bit of the A404 route. I got as far as the North circular which took just under an hour - not bad given I was busy trying to work out where I should be going. I might manage to find time to do the whole route in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks for your tips.
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Harry B wrote:

Ta!

Paul

I go from Ruislip to London Bridge and pass through Westminster on my way. Over the last year or so I have tried a rew routes and this one seems quite good.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/londo ... 5721373044

The roads through Greenford are so bumpy its like riding on cobbles but other than that its a good route with plenty of opportunity to get a decent workout once you are clear of the city.

You could carry on from Ruislip over Ducks Hill and down Batchworth Hill and you'd be home.

Yeah get to Uxbridge Road, it's oen of my favourite parts of my commute, along with Bayswater Road 8)