Cannock Chase Worth it?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited April 2010 in Routes
I'm working up in warwick in a couple of weeks and have an evening off up there. i was wondering if it'd be worth the hour drive up to cannock and have a blast there or is there anything closer?

cheers :D

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I'n my veiw from riding it mid of last year... IMO no.

As to where else to ride no idea...
  • welshkev
    that's what i was wondering, i bet it's good fun if it was on your doorstep for a quick blast but travelling an hour? i'm not so sure :?
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    Yes !!

http://www.bikeadventuresuk.com/forum/v ... sc&start=0

Maybe only local views, but often the locals can be most critical
  • welshkev
    Cps wrote:
    Yes !!

http://www.bikeadventuresuk.com/forum/v ... sc&start=0

Maybe only local views, but often the locals can be most critical

ok that might've swayed me a bit :D might be worth a trip after all

cheers mate :D
  • Thewaylander
    Kev, Go have a look and report back.

Locals were raving about it all when i went last year, and it wasn't worth the journey when you consider the height and fun of the trails we have locally mate.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited April 2010
    You will like it more now that the new trails are open.
  • Thewaylander
    I will hold jugement on it.

A short flat blast doesn't generally interest me much i ahve to admit. and it's no offence to the trail builders don't get me wrong i jsut don't think the area has enough alltitude to produce something worth travelling for.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited April 2010
    People are comparing some of it with Llandegla but I've never been there so I can't comment.

All I can say is that the trail builders have made an amazing job out of a max altitude of 200m and the Monkey trail is technically challenging - much less of a 'ride round' than Follow The Dog.

The new return section has a much more modern feel to it and is long, scorchingly fast and flowy. The rollers and berms are so good I went round four times on Saturday :D

Don't think I'd drive all the way from S.Wales to ride it though. It's incredible for where and what it is but obv can't compete with your neck of the woods in terms of terrain and elevation. But from Warwick? Hell yeah!
  • Cps
    I will hold jugement on it.

A short flat blast doesn't generally interest me much i ahve to admit. and it's no offence to the trail builders don't get me wrong i jsut don't think the area has enough alltitude to produce something worth travelling for.

If you live next to a Welsh Trail Centre then its 50/50 wether you travel to Cannock, however the OP was asking wether if it was worth traveling from Warwick !!!

Had you asked me that question last year, then the answer would be no. But Phase 2 is a huge difference to the original FTD and well worth the trip. Have a scan around for Videos of the trail and you will see we don't all talk B*******s in the Midlands.
  • Thewaylander
    Of course you do mate.. all my family is from brum they talk sh~t all day :p

And i know are lad is in warrick at the moment but he is a welsh local lad, and I know even passing through i Would have been sorely disapointed with FTD even then. Wont comment on the new stuff.

And you know the trail centers in Wales are fairly tame compared to the locals stuff? :p
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    That new thing at cannock is rubbish. Not worth travelling to at all. In fact, tell all your friends. Far better centres elsewhere.
  • Cps
    Have a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLlMqwhi ... re=related

oh on second thought what alex says !!!
  • mintsauce5
    mintsauce5 Posts: 193
    yeah its no good up the chase now (hope that keeps all the pesky foreign johnnys out ;-))
  • Thewaylander
    Cheers for the trailor CPS dude.

Guys have put some hard work and your single track looks way better than it was, not so many sharp turns to milk any downs so you can build some nice speed.

But way way way way to groomed for my taste maybe when it has worn in plenty with a good load of rocks being knocked over the trail i will come have a look when i'm visiting some rellies.
  • welshkev
    Alex wrote:
    That new thing at cannock is rubbish. Not worth travelling to at all. In fact, tell all your friends. Far better centres elsewhere.

ok, thanks for your advice but i think i'll take a look anyway :wink:

cheers for the video, it does look rather tame but nice and flowy none the less, looks like it'll be fun instead of sitting in my hotel room :D