I want to organise a TT - what do I do?

Team Banana Spokesman
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
I've found an amazing road loop where you can ride constantly. Has junctions but the road loop always has priority at them so theres no potential stopping and you can do it both ways without any probs.

Even better. The road loop is 3.33 miles. 3 times is a 10 mile TT!

So I want to organise a TT there this summer. What do I do? Whats the best way to publicise it?

Not a member of BC or CTT.
Not a member of a club.
Dont really want to have to faff with regulations. I just want to put on a lil' circuit race.

Some people in mcr do TTs and hillclimbs a lot (iBikeMCR) but they never get in trouble with police. It's kinda informal racing though. (goddam hipsters and fixed gear street racing :roll:)

What do I do? Do I need to let authorities know/join some kind of organisation? I will want it to be a big event. The circuit has approx 1 car using it every 10/15 mins on average. Dead quiet so it seems like a good idea.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As you aren't affiliated to any recognised association, I would expect that the Police who govern road use would frown on such an event and how would you manage such things as insurance?You should find plenty of info on the Cycling Time Trials website. By all means arrange an informal event for your mates, but suggest that if you want to learn to organise a TT, join a club and learn the ropes the safe way from those with experience. Finally, those who ride 10 miles TTs want a fast course ideally out and back - 3 laps suggests at least 5 turns where you need to slow down whereas most TTs have only 1.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • You cannot organise an open TT unless it is promoted by a club affiliated to the CTT, and has to be organised to strict regulations laid down by the CTT - including using the correct forms, signing on, fees payable, police notification, health and safety assesment etc etc.

Still want to do it? It's a lot of work, much more to it that you might think if you have never done it. There is a whole section on the CTT site that tells an event organiser what he/she must do to comply.

I guess you could organise a "private" trial amongst your mates, but nothing public as you might be liable in the event of an accident.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Bhima, just join a club, if it was a proper awesome circuit then it'd have being used before.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Just because IBikeMcr organise TTs, Alleycat races and Hill climbs without advising the police etc doesn't mean it's okay.

I'll be interested to know how deep the organiser's pockets are if there is an incident during one of these "events" and a rider or member of the public starts looking for someone to blame. I'm sure the organisers are very well intentioned and I realise not everyone likes dealing with red tape, but sometimes it's there for good reason.

The formalities of risk assessments, warning signs, advising people adjacent to the course, insurance etc are there for the benefit of everyone using or adjacent to the circuit, including the riders. It may be a pain in the ar*e and we all know that TTing started in an unregulated manner, but the world's moved on and if cyclists want to be taken seriously by other road users, we need to move with the times. Unregulated and poorly organised events do little to help this.

Nowt wrong with a 3 lap TT in principle (although it won't be fast) and would be good for spectators but you also need to realise that if you have more than half a dozen riders you are going to end up with a lot of riders on the same 3.33 miles of road at the same time with the overtaking / traffic issues that will ensue - and it will need to be considered in the risk assessment I would suggest.

You'd be better to join a club, help run and organise some events and help to maintain (or improve depending on your viewpoint) the reputation of the sport in the eyes of the general public.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    Wear black Alcapa jackets and tights (no numbers or helmets), give the course a code, don't notify the police, make sure the riders are at one minute intervals and you won't have a problem. :wink: