Mountain Bike Time Trails

coolboarder
coolboarder Posts: 149
edited May 2010 in XC and Enduro
Having recently regained my mountain bike enthusiasm, im keen to get a little competetive. Its been a long time but i used to road bike time trial and was wondering if theres such a thing for mountain bikes? At 46 this year im no spring chicken but have a fairly decent fitness level from commuting. BUT, im nothing like i used to be so wonder if i would be a fish out of water.

I live in the West Midlands and only 50 mins from the Cannock Chase so there would be good if they did them!

Rob

Comments

• Cannon71
    Cannon71 Posts: 92
    I like the cut of your jib, Rob.

Perhaps there's a thread somewhere (or we use this one) where trail users can post their times for a given lap or circuit, i.e. Leith-Holmbury-Pitch Hill Loop = 2hrs32m. (I guess you'd need a map/route to ensure the circuit was the same.)

I live in Bath and the University Cycling Club have a "5 Hill Challenge" with the top 5 times. (Naturally, I wouldn't dare posting my times until I get within 5% of the top time!!)
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Perhaps give XC racing a try? Its really quite similar to a TT, in that you have to give an all out effort for a sustained period - usually 3 laps, which takes 1-1.5hrs for the Vets. After the first 15mins, the field is usually quite spread out, so there's often little contact with other riders, and those TT skills really come to the fore. Other advantages are - nice, challenging courses; loads of riders (so you're not stuck on your own in some remote spot if something goes wrong); and paramedics in attendance if needed. :wink:
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    The only MTB TT I've heard of is here:

http://www.moors-valley.co.uk/events/event.asp?ID=379
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What do you think Downhill racing is?
  • baccodaddy
    baccodaddy Posts: 128
    if i were you i,d enter a xc race but in open cat then you can compare your time to the vets and see where you stack up.the reason i say this is the vets cat can be very fast.i,m in masters and although we,re all over 30 ,the pointy end is faster than expert but open is a good way to find out where you are .if your times are slower then just stay in open and enjoy the racing.