Does this riding position look correct ?

diddyfunk
diddyfunk Posts: 252
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi Guys

I have been getting lower back pain after rides and wonder if my riding position (pic below would have anything to do with it?

If so, please could you let me know what I could do about it?

I am 5ft 7" and have a 1inch gap between my baskets and the top tube.

In the below riding position my elbows are not locked and very slightly bent.

Many Thanks

DSCF2297.jpg
2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg

Comments

• rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    I think your seat maybe a bit low looking at that picture.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    no expert but saddle looks on the low side.
    many folk on tip-toes to touch the floor whilst sat on saddle.
    also sliding back saddle an inch would put more body-weight on your shoulders and less on lower back.
    try small increment changes and ride for a few days before adjusting again.
    nice bike tho. :D
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    You don't look too bent over, seatpost could do with being raised a but though, your leg looks too slack for long-distance riding,

Have you thought about a hi-rise bar?
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    I'd say seat up abit, saddle back abit on the rails and if it feels more comfortable - riser bars. :)
  • diddyfunk
    Thanks guys, keep the comments coming.

I will give all that a go (mainly raising the seat and putting the saddle back).

What do people think about the frame size? Am I a little hunched over rather than bending at the lower back, or will the above sort this out?

Many Thanks
  • mrfmilo
    Looks like your too bunched up - in an 'arch' shape. Putting the saddle back should help this. And also at the bottom of the cranks revolution your leg(s) should be very nearly straight.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Putting the saddle back effectively slackens the seat angle and can place more weight on the back, not less.

I would experiment with it - though you may find once the saddle is higher it will suffice (as it will go back too relatively)
  • mrfmilo
    OK I take back whatever I said :lol: Sonic i'll leave it to you! :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Should still experiment - depends exactly where the pain is!
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Heel on the pedal? You don't ride like that, do you?
  • lock1981
    lock1981 Posts: 546
    PUT your heel on your pedal and raise your seat till your leg is almost straight. That should be the best riding position.

Although I have mine a little lower and I'm suffering at the moment too.

I have just ordered a xl to get a bit more room too
  • diddyfunk
    Thanks guys.

Will give it a go this week and update.

I was thinking that I needed a size bigger frame but my hanging baskets were resting on the top tube and in a riding position my elbows were locked.

Many Thanks
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    leg should be staright out with heel on pedal.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Have a play with sddle position, hight, forwards and back and angle.

And it might just be getting used to riding and need to build up core strength.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    I think the frame looks too small for you, you look too upright. Def raise the saddle, try flipping the stem to give you some extra reach and stretch you out and take weight off your lower back
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    frame is bout right any bigger and you'd stretch your back muscles and cause spasms while riding . Lifting the saddle will defiantly help . As a rule of thumb the saddle show be level or up to 10cm higher than your bars. this means you bend from your hips and not arch your back to reach for the bars. As you raise the saddle it will also move away from the bars that should stop you from feeling hunched up .
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Also, remember that some of your back pain will almost certainly be down to lack of strength in relevant muscles if you're not used to riding much. Improving core strength and riding more will improve things a bit. There are muscles you use in cycling that you don't use much doing other exercise unless you specifically target them.

Also, don't neccesarily worry about touching the ground when you're on the seat, generally you want to aim for your leg to be still slightly bent when you're at the bottom of the pedal stroke like lock1981. Also again, ball of foot on the pedal please ;)