Italian Tour - 5th Sept 2010 - Colnago Granfondo,

Karl2010
Karl2010 Posts: 511
Anyone going to this? Or have you been?

I realy want to get as much experience as possible this year doing some profesionaly organised rides, races, & long distance's. I want to test myself on differant terrains, and in differant climates, and against other riders.

I realy fancy having ago at this. (see link below)

http://www.granfondocolnago.com/regolamento-en.html#15

It states on thier web site that:
"It is MANDATORY to have a regular permission to practice cycling to take part to the Granfondo Colnago course"

Anyone know what this means? And where get i get permission? Does it meen i need a licence? Are there any other rides like this where you need a licence?

I was also thinking of "The 175km Tour Of Britain" in the South West.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Karl

Comments

• CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Karl

I think it means that you must have a medical certificate from your doctor.
    I think the Marmotte is like this as well.

If it ain't that, reckon it must be a racing licence.

You could try the guys at La Fuga (www.lafuga.cc), as they're experts on all things Italian. They'll at least be able to tell you what the standards are for italian gran fondos.

Cheers
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I have done marmotte and pinarello gran fondo a couple of times and did not have medical certificate just sent copy of racing license.
  • CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Just had a good look at the site, and it does sound as though you need a racing licence.

Doesn't appear that you need a medical certificate, like you do now on the Marmotte.
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • Karl2010
    chears guys.

I did email them but ive had no reply. Maybe they they read English. Oh well.

So the next question is how do i get a race licence? :)
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Hi Karl2010

I rode the GranFondo Colnago in 2006... at the registration (day before) I was asked to show ID and either a racing licence or provide a doctor's letter saying I was fit to ride. They don't really read it, they just file it presumably for their own insurance or something.

Having ridden various things before I had the doctors letter with me - I asked a doctor friend to write a generic one so I didn't need to keep going back every year. For what it is worth you could easily write your own with a made up letter head (not that I'm suggesting you do!!).

With membership of British Cycling you will get a provisional racing licence on the back of your official looking membership card (you can pay an extra £32 to upgrade this to a full licence). I would imaging that the provisional licence would be more than enough to get you through the cursory check at race registration.

It's a great event by the way, relaxed atmosphere, challenging route and brilliant scenery!

Hope that helps
    Nic
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I can get a note from my mum - is that ok?!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Karl2010
    cheers Nic. That seems easy enough to sort out. How did you go about accomedation?

Where did you stay? Costs / Flight etc... Gonna look into it more at the weekend anyway.
    so much i wanna do this yeart. gonna have to get the callender out and get planning.
  • Italiano
    Italiano Posts: 75
    As mentioned before, a racing license is what you need for ride it.