Tyres - Commuting Road Only

Charlie.
Charlie. Posts: 10
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello,

I have my Boardman Sport MTB I use occasionally for commuting, road only since they started building on the "short-cut"

I have notice the tyres appear to be causing a resistance, even to the point where I hear the "whirrrrr" (like an old series 3 Landy on off road tyres).

The tyre in question is Continental Speed King's.

I am looking for a more road friendly tyre, would slick tyres be recomended?

If so, any particular.....

Thanks

Charlie

p.s a quick pic of my first MTB since leaving school 20 years ago lol

P1721_28-03-10.jpg

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Slick tyres would be best if you only go on roads or very gentle towpath type things, Schwalbe Big Apples get good reviews but are pricey. If you use the bike like it should be used then some semi-slicks would be a good compromise like this. http://www.buybikesnow.com/480/Kenda-Se ... ign=pid480
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Highly reccomend Continental City ride tyres. They are tough mine have been in use for 2 years now and still loads of life. However dont use them off road unless you like picking grit out of your scabs they have zero grip off road. They will give you quite a noticeable speed boost and no buzzing noise.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18836
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    have used schwalbe land cruiser and now Michelin tracker tyres on my commuter "mtb". The michelins are very quiet and also very fast / smooth. Crc have than for a good pric

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28141
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Charlie.
    Charlie. Posts: 10
    I see Halfords are doing buy one get one half price - are Continental Travel Contact worth considering?

Halfords Conti Travel Contact

Seems the best price for a pair at £36.

Although the Conti City Rides also sound ideal, and priced well.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.....
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    conti travel contacts are good- lots of people use them on mtb's with slicks
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If you are only doing road then slicks would be best but if you are doing a mix of both road and mtb then Kenda Small Block 8's or Maxxis Holy Rollers (the better of the two INO) roll really well on road but grip well off it
  • I just got some Travel Contacts recently, and they're way faster than the nobblies. Almost silent on the road. Still a bit skittish off road - you've got to remember what tyres you're running when cutting corners or you end up getting a shock! But they'll pedal through mud surprisingly well and often find the little grip you need when it does get skittish.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    My dad has a spare pair of slicks that look pretty new that you could have for around £20 + postage, I'll pm him
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    have a look at on-one site, they have good deals on tyres slick and knobbly
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As thel33ter says I have a pair, price negotiable but I also want some knobbies so happy to do a swop, with a bit of cash if necessary. Dura Sierra (I've never heard of them before either - supposed to have a kevlar belt so puncture proof - maybe). But they are quiet and smooth.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bill-87
    Bill-87 Posts: 155
    peter413 wrote:
    If you are only doing road then slicks would be best but if you are doing a mix of both road and mtb then Kenda Small Block 8's or Maxxis Holy Rollers (the better of the two INO) roll really well on road but grip well off it

I'm in the same boat as the OP but was looking for something with a touch more grip than slicks so that I can go off road a little, how are those two on the lovely things beginning with a P?

Billy

Edit: Sorry if i'm deemed to be threadjacking but I figured as those two look like what I may need then i'd dive in here.
  • peter413
    Beggining with a P :?

Oh right punctures :roll:

Only had one puncture with my holy roller and that was a big thorn. Never pinch and I run them at 35-40 psi off road.

Not had a long experiance with small blocks (only tried them but prefer the holy rollers) so can't comment really.
  • Bill-87
    The Holy Rollers give more of a cosmetic satisfaction in my eyes.

I've still only got the bog standard things on my wheels at the minute, something something taiwan is all that's printed. I took the bike out, first time commuting on the MTB, on Thursday. Got up Friday morning, had a puncture, changed tube over, pumped up tyre and off to work. 3 miles from home after work and I got a puncture! Nightmare.
  • peter413
    Bill-87 wrote:

I've still only got the bog standard things on my wheels at the minute, something something taiwan is all that's printed. I took the bike out, first time commuting on the MTB, on Thursday. Got up Friday morning, had a puncture, changed tube over, pumped up tyre and off to work. 3 miles from home after work and I got a puncture! Nightmare.

Check there was nothing left in the tyre when you remounted it after repairing the first puncture
  • Bill-87
    peter413 wrote:
    Bill-87 wrote:

Check there was nothing left in the tyre when you remounted it after repairing the first puncture

Different wheel! :twisted:
  • peter413
    Bill-87 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:
    Bill-87 wrote:

Different wheel! :twisted:

Were they different tyres?

Anyway, back to your original question, the holy rollers would be best I think but if you are thinking of going off roading properly, consider something like a maxxis minion up front. Thats what I use at the moment and it works great on road and on the current dusty trails :D
  • Bill-87
    peter413 wrote:
    Bill-87 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:
    Bill-87 wrote:
    quote]

Were they different tyres?

Yep, in the morning it was the back and on the way home it was the front. :lol:

Cheers for your help mate, i'm having a look at the reccomendations.
  • cmm303
    cmm303 Posts: 59
    For commuting I put on Continental Ultra Gator slicks. Wack up the pressure, lock out the fork and it took 10 minutes of my 10 mile commute. No punctures so far in 150 miles.

Downside, they look silly on an MTB and are uncompromising when it comes to bumps.
    ChrisM