Brief Survey for University Project

Hans1
Hans1 Posts: 3
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I'm currently doing a project on a redesign of cycling helmets at my university. My supervisor, who cycles everywhere, says he will only ever wear a helmet when he commutes to and from college. His reason: the helmet is far too bulky and awkward to carry around, especially when he's down the pub!

On the subject of helmet usage, I would love to hear what everyone here has to say, and would really appreciate it if you could take a few spare moments to complete a very brief survey that I have prepared for my project.

Here is the link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7Y7VJ3N

Thanks a lot,

Hans

Comments

• It's not a very good survey since the entire second half is redundant!
  • I completed it Hans. A couple of the questions need re-wording though maybe.

Let us know the results when you have them. Surveys often pop-up on here, we all fill them out and then never here what the outcome is! :?
    Dahon Jack 2008 - FCN 10 - Never been scalped though...
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited April 2010
    completed, questions seem ok to me but from a psychological POV, its usually 1 = best down to 5 = worst.

I got a proper telling off from a cognitive behaviour professor once on the resons why this way works best and elicits more responses after I'd done the same as you.

edit - too many once's
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    I'd add "ventilation" to the list of things you consider when buying.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Bit silly that it asks if you wear a helmet, you answer no and it still asks what you consider when buying one.

Do these things get unit tested for more than five minutes before being launched on t'internet.
  • done

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    prj45 wrote:
    Bit silly that it asks if you wear a helmet, you answer no and it still asks what you consider when buying one.

Ditto
  • Hans1
    Hans1 Posts: 3
    Thanks a lot guys for taking the time to fill this in. I agree some questions are a bit odd, I had my supervisor run through original with me and he suggested I change some. It does appear that I underestimated the ventilation aspect (I thought it could be bungled in with "comfort" but I realize now that's too vague).

shouldbeinbed, those comments on the psychological aspect are pretty interesting, I'll definitely consider it if I do another survey some time, so thanks for that.

Just to let you all know, the project aim is to design a helmet that shifts the balance between protection and practicality. Basically, you won't get the same level of impact protection (not very much at all in some people's minds) but the helmet will be "better looking" and very portable (we're talking folding/collapsible...). It's a concept and styling project more than anything else, with some proper engineering for good measure. I'm getting to play with some cool modern materials and break lots of helmets, which is fun :o
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Hans, check these guys out:

http://www.ribcap.ch/cms/pages/index.ph ... atside=101

Not great for cycling, but good for snowboarding!

There are also ones (that I can't find but do recall seeing) that allegedly respond to shock by becoming rigid. Don't know if they work or not though!
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Done
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    It's not a very good survey since the entire second half is redundant!

Which is also true of the above comment.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    done

-Spider-
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    There'll be a lot more people rolling around London without helmets very soon once the London bike hire scheme thingy is up and running. I mean no one is going to lug a helmet around with them all day on the offchance that they might take a journey on a hire bike
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • beverick wrote:
    It's not a very good survey since the entire second half is redundant!

Which is also true of the above comment.

The op said he'd "love" feedback! :roll:
  • I always wear a helmet when I cycle but often just lock it to my bike when i get to a destination where I don't want to carry it around. Perhaps you should look at that too.

It would give your lecturer a reason to take it to the pub with him if he can leave it attached to his bike!
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    completed, questions seem ok to me but from a psychological POV, its usually 1 = best down to 5 = worst
    I fell foul of this too, just assumed 1 was the best and filled out my answers according to that. Oops.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010