Need a backpack

fnegroni
fnegroni Posts: 794
edited September 2015 in Commuting chat
silly question: why a backpack? That's usually the last resort.
Pannier racks and bags usually give a more comfortable ride.

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Camelbaks are usually top notch pieces of kit with very good hydration packs. I've got the 'Hawg' and am happy with it for the commute - comfortable, adjustable, plenty of pockets etc and fine for carting bits & pieces around. If you need a size up from that, then look at the 'Mule'.

Might be a bit over your budget but worth it IMO. And don't look terminally uncool as panniers do :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Camelbaks are usually top notch pieces of kit with very good hydration packs. I've got the 'Hawg' and am happy with it for the commute - comfortable, adjustable, plenty of pockets etc and fine for carting bits & pieces around. :

+1

Got a HAWG as well, not cheap but it's comfortable to use and has lasted for ages. Most of the time I use without the hydration pack, cos it's lust the right size for my laptop and kit
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Biffz0id
    Biffz0id Posts: 123
    I've got a Camelback xct. Really comfortable. Excellent for running with and works nicely on the trails aswell :).
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    edited April 2010
    I used to use the http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/berghaus-freeflow-iv-daysacks-hit-the-shops/4350.html. The frame (that keeps the pack away from the back means that is is less hard on my back than a normal daysack, but the capacity is not as useful for its size, as the back is arched to keep it away from the back.

I still use it when cycling sometimes, but prefer panniers . It is my daysac of choice for running/hillwalking. It is hydration-system compatible, and comes with a very functional raincover - clothes have not got wet in downpours, indeed most of the rucsac outside stays dry, let alone inside.

Two and a half years old, with pretty heavy use and looks brand new.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Deute ... 360043822/

I have this

its an excellent bag and great for small amounts or if you need to get more in, hardly notice its there most of the time

There are other deuter ones for around your budget but the durability is great.
  • I highly recommend Vaude. Nice and light, designed for cyclists and comfortable. The back panel is supremely well ventilated too. You'll appreciate it especially in summer. All the little touches you need, light attachments, helmet holder, rain cover etc. Coin and key compartments are brill, squirrel everything away yet saves you time finding them. Also expands another 5 litres if you need it. Incredible how much it can carry. I only use the hydration pocket to slip my D-lock into. Keeps the weight closer to my back and doesn't slop around. Perfect for me, don't like panniers either.

Only small niggle is that the reflective scotchlite bits eventually peeled off. Took about 2 years though! And easily remedied of course.

Got the previous incarnation of this in shocking yellow.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/vau ... RRWidgetID

Even saved my back when I had a crash. That's why I prefer rucksacks. Fantastic bit of kit. About 3 years old and still as good as new, if a little grubby now!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Something like this should do it

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/traverse-30 ... sku2988405

or one of these - I got one from a shop in Shrewsbury. Not quite Berghaus in quality but, for a walking pack it has loads of pockets (even little ones in the front strap wings) which makes it more useful for commuting/business and a rain cover. Has the all important air vent back without which any bag on your back is hell if you are cycling.

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/Duke_o ... /p159.aspx

I think the only real issue is potential durability (no reason to assume it won't be fine though) but it is certainly great otherwise and is camelback compatible. Both these are £30 (saving £20 for more important things!) for packs plenty big enough for changes of clothes, shopping etc. You can get smaller for less but I don't find the size of mine any bother - reduces stress on the zips which seems to be the biggest cause of problems.

I also have an Edinburgh cycle cooperative pack which also has the helmet carrier but I don't really need that. I use that bag for proper mtbing.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I highly recommend Vaude. Nice and light, designed for cyclists and comfortable. The back panel is supremely well ventilated too. You'll appreciate it especially in summer. All the little touches you need, light attachments, helmet holder, rain cover etc. Coin and key compartments are brill, squirrel everything away yet saves you time finding them. Also expands another 5 litres if you need it. Incredible how much it can carry. I only use the hydration pocket to slip my D-lock into. Keeps the weight closer to my back and doesn't slop around. Perfect for me, don't like panniers either.

Only small niggle is that the reflective scotchlite bits eventually peeled off. Took about 2 years though! And easily remedied of course.

Got the previous incarnation of this in shocking yellow.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/vau ... RRWidgetID

Even saved my back when I had a crash. That's why I prefer rucksacks. Fantastic bit of kit. About 3 years old and still as good as new, if a little grubby now!

+1

Not had a sweaty back since using this backpack
  • I agree with Andy83 - that Deuter bag is really good - I've got one and I have been really pleased with it - flexible capacity and light ad comfortable to wear
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    I have a Deuter pack for some time now and found the bite valve deteriorates quickly. Change the valve to a camelback valve and the its a good pack IMO.
    You've got to just figure out how much capacity you need, how much you will be drinking, ie: do you drink a bottle each way? maybe you only need a 1lt bladder.
    Worried about weight?
    Lots to consider really. Once you tick all the boxes above, with your preferance, then purchase the most expensive you can afford cause you get what you pays for. :wink:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    The Vaude, Deuter, and Berghauss ystems seem pretty similar in my experience from a hillwalking perspective. (I have only used the Berghaus, but friends have used the other two)
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    djbarren wrote:
    I don't have eylets on the bike for paniers

These any good?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tor ... gn=froogle
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    This:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 372c012369

Made by Vaude with Aeroflex so no sweaty back, and only 30 quid.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    OMM packs are super-light and will accept a water pouch. I have the 25L version and it is very stable on the back, working well for running and cycling. It gets used every day and is starting to show some signs of wear, but I have been abusing it for more than 5yrs.
  • Costco are doing a High Sierra one at the moment, £15 - 2L water pouch, good comfy straps, quite roomy inside (can be expanded by undoing a zipper), lots of pockets, clip for keys etc. Well impressed for £15.
  • maharg22
    maharg22 Posts: 50
    fnegroni wrote:
    silly question: why a backpack? That's usually the last resort.
    Pannier racks and bags usually give a more comfortable ride.

And give you a lower centre of gravity too. Also you will sweat less on your back and feel fresher in the coming summer weather.
    British Cycling SkyRide leader

Roadie - 'Arnie' HOY Sa Calobra .004 Ultegra 11 Speed
    Winter Road Bike - 'Edoardo' Bianchi Via Nirone 7 c2c - Sora 8 Speed
    Commuter - 'Edoardo the 2nd' Bianchi Camaleonte Cross
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Canny Jock wrote:
    This:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 372c012369

Made by Vaude with Aeroflex so no sweaty back, and only 30 quid.

Excellent but teeny tiny for the commute unless your works dress code allows for thong only!

I have the 25ltr version and that is still a bit small for commuting for my tastes. I'd rather have a bigger pack not stuffed to the brim.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Yeah, I have the 25, but only because I sometimes carry a laptop. Apart from that I would have stuck with the smaller one.
  • dg lander
    dg lander Posts: 54
    What's it like using a backpack on a road bike? I'm getting my first road bike soon and I don't fancy racks etc. I've seen this one which looks like it might fit the bill http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Deuter_Race_X_Rucksack/5360041647/ Any thoughts? I'll be commuting 10 miles each way.
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    dg lander wrote:
    What's it like using a backpack on a road bike? I'm getting my first road bike soon and I don't fancy racks etc. I've seen this one which looks like it might fit the bill http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Deuter_Race_X_Rucksack/5360041647/ Any thoughts? I'll be commuting 10 miles each way.

I have the cheaper version of this for my 10 mile each way commute. I also use it for mtb'ing and it's brilliant. I've had it two years and not one problem with it. I'll buy it again when mine breaks. I never take water on my commute; you just don't need it in 10 miles.

I manage to take lunch, trousers, shirt socks etc in to work and I always carry loads of tools in the webbed part inside. I can just fit shoes at a push, but I leave them at work for convenience. Raincover, lightweight, useful pockets, chest and waist strap, cheap (compared to Camelbak). What more is there? However It would be too small if you wanted to carry loads of stuff, or A4 folders as it's just smaller than A4 size.
  • dg lander
    dg lander Posts: 54
    Thanks dresbo it sounds ideal for me. I'll be ordering one unless anyone can recommend something better for the same price.
  • Hey,
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried any of the solar hydration backpacks? Like an ECEEN? They are usually larger (can carry 3L), but useful for slightly longer journeys.

On that note, do you guys use hydration backpacks just for mountain biking or do you use them on smaller tours (Sub-200kms) as well?

Thanks
    Gandharv
  • Camelbak Mule for me - perfect for MTB, but a bit on the small size for commuting. No water resistance at all, but for its original purpose that wasn't a problem. Dry stuff in a Tesco bag...

I now have to carry 2 x packs on Monday a.m. & Friday p.m to get my week's worth of work/changing stuff home again - a bit unwieldy but works OK.

Have been looking at those messenger bags - look big and waterproof enough, but I do like having the hydration thing...
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • I use my Dakine ski pack. It's the comfiest, best designed rucksack i've ever worn. A little extravagant for a cycle commute but i stick a Hump cover over the top in bad weather and it's surviving okay at the moment (I haven't done many winter miles in the past).

I've never tried panniers but for some reason i just feel like I wouldn't like 'em! Totally irrational perhaps.
  • For everyday carrying use I have my Timbuk2 courier bag.
    over 20 years old now and still going strong, amazing bit of kit.

For drinkies I have a 3l army surplus Camelbak.
    I got it when I was doing a lot of off road stuff.
    Worth its weight in gold.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I use my Dakine ski pack. It's the comfiest, best designed rucksack i've ever worn. A little extravagant for a cycle commute but i stick a Hump cover over the top in bad weather and it's surviving okay at the moment (I haven't done many winter miles in the past).

I've never tried panniers but for some reason i just feel like I wouldn't like 'em! Totally irrational perhaps.

I felt the same right up till I tried them. Much easier to ride with than a heavy ruck sack and better for your back.
  • I use alpkit bikepacking kit on the bike for my clothes and bits, tend to get left in the office......but I still use a Chrome Barrage backpack to carry my laptop and business stuff, quite simply my company has several sites in central London and we have some of our vendor offices, so, I have some business kit portability if I am on my travels and I sometimes work from home adhoc.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Ottlieb velocity rolltop rucksack would be my choice if forced.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18